Thread: Mk4 Sat Nav out to lunch

My Cars
    '01 Alpina B10 V8

Mk4 Sat Nav out to lunch

I swapped out the factory fitted Mk2 Sat Nav in my 2001 Alpina B10 V8 for a 2008 year Mk4 Sat Nav a couple of years ago, and it worked fine until about 6 months ago or so. It has increasingly been showing me the 'Please wait a moment' message on the display when selecting the Sat Nav. It used to just do it half the time if I stopped the car whilst navigating a journey and started her up again. After a period of many months of 'Please wait a moment', the Sat Nav is now showing the map, and the map moves with the car travelling, although the location is completely wrong. The Almanac is showing 'no'.

I have tried a head cleaning CD, inserting a new nav DVD, taking it apart and relubing it with silicon lubricant, reflushing the Nav firmware, none of which made much difference, as well as trying to get it to reset the Almanac by leaving the keys in pos 1 or 2 in open area for several hours but it never acquires the satellites or recreates the Almanac. I have checked the satellite acquisition and there is nothing. It shows a list of 8 satellites or so but with no data for any of them. Is there any solution besides trying a used GPS Antenna 65906905921? I gather they are a discontinued item. I guess it could also be the cable.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=65_0278

TIA!

My Cars
    2003 540s, 2000 740s
    While it does sound like your MKIV is having some "Senior Moments", the best way to figure out if the problem lies with the MKIV or GPS antenna is to swap in a known working MKIV to your car & see if that fixes the problem (or, swap your questionable MKIV into a BMW that has a known working MKIV). See if the problem follows the MKIV or not. If you have a buddy with a MKIV, that's the quickest way to narrow down the problem, IMHO.
    <== Steptronic Sealbeach740
    2000 740i sport: 74k Green/Tan chrome MPars, clear corners, quad brake lights, AIC hi-beams, Hoen fogs, 16x9 screen, MKIV, TFT LCD screen in back, license plate backup camera with "on demand" switch, iPod audio/video (CDC/iPod audio switching, iPod video on 16x9 screen), Basslink, gauge rings, ///M pedals, switched steptronic +/- shifting mode, E46 paddle shifter steering wheel, Dinan engine & tranny software upgrade, DDEs controlled via Euro fog light switch, painted calipers with "BMW" lettering, windows up/sunroof close via remote.

2003 540i sport: 81k, Sterling grey/grey, MKIV Nav, PDC & CWP - Added license plate backup camera with "on demand" switch, paddle shift steering wheel, windows up/sunroof close via remote, Akebono's, painted calipers with "BMW" lettering, quad brake lights, iPod audio via AUX mode/video via 16x9 screen, BMW TV tuner, ///M pedals & gauge rings.

My Cars
    '01 Alpina B10 V8
    Quote Originally Posted by sealbeach740 View Post
    While it does sound like your MKIV is having some "Senior Moments", the best way to figure out if the problem lies with the MKIV or GPS antenna is to swap in a known working MKIV to your car & see if that fixes the problem (or, swap your questionable MKIV into a BMW that has a known working MKIV). See if the problem follows the MKIV or not. If you have a buddy with a MKIV, that's the quickest way to narrow down the problem, IMHO.
    Good suggestion! I need some IRL E39 bros lol. Or not sell old components when I upgrade!
    Last edited by PliSsK; 05-02-2018 at 02:42 PM.

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi PliSsk,

The old OEM modules are getting old now and more are becoming faulty and failing. If you *must* keep the OEM audio modules, then get in touch with Baris at Carphonics as he's very well known to repair/upgrade the oem modules where possible. Whilst your there, you might as well upgrade all the other aspects of the various modules that he can do!

I know Baris well from many events and meets and he's very well known on the M3cutters UK forum, so have no qualms in dealing with him - http://www.carphonics.co.uk/

If you don't mind going aftermarket and replacing all the old modules, drop me a PM !

Cheers, Dennis!

My Cars
    2003 530iA Sport
    Mine went out years ago, I replaced the DVD drive and it worked for several more years. More than likely your issue is the DVD drive mechanism. In any case mine went out again a few a couple of years ago and I decided not to fix. I don't miss it because my iPhone running Waze and plugged into the OEM aux input takes care of all my needs. YMMV.
    2003 530iA Sport - Titangrau Metallic/Schwarz Montana
    Build Codes: ZSP/ZPP/ZCW. Born on date: 09/02, Dingolfing, Deutschland
    |NAV MKIV WAZE | PP | CWP | Xenons | Style 42s | Rear Shades | OEM ULF Bluetooth | Euro Armrest | Beisan Vanos Seals | OEM Aux Input |

My Cars
    '03 530i/5sp Sport
    You're describing a number of non-related symptoms here. "please wait" is generally due to a bad DVD or DVD drive. Showing incorrect position on the map is generally due to non-acquisition of satellite data. Are you getting a GPS lock? Your Nav display will show this in the small screen in the upper right of the display. White dots are individual birds, and a green satellite with "GPS" shown indicates a position lock. If you're not seeing this, then it may be a GPS antenna problem. Maybe you didn't connect the antenna up again when you replaced the Nav unit after working on it? Mine actually went bad and had to be replaced. I used the nav diagnostic mode to troubleshoot because it shows satellite signal strength.

My Cars
    '01 Alpina B10 V8
    Quote Originally Posted by sleuth255 View Post
    You're describing a number of non-related symptoms here. "please wait" is generally due to a bad DVD or DVD drive. Showing incorrect position on the map is generally due to non-acquisition of satellite data. Are you getting a GPS lock? Your Nav display will show this in the small screen in the upper right of the display. White dots are individual birds, and a green satellite with "GPS" shown indicates a position lock. If you're not seeing this, then it may be a GPS antenna problem. Maybe you didn't connect the antenna up again when you replaced the Nav unit after working on it? Mine actually went bad and had to be replaced. I used the nav diagnostic mode to troubleshoot because it shows satellite signal strength.
    Hi Sleuth, I am not getting a GPS lock. The globe icon in the top right is showing no birds nor any 'GPS' text. In the Set menu, in the hidden menu, in GPS functions, I am getting no latitude or longtitude figures, and the GPS date is showing '1998'. On the GPS satellites screen it is showing 8 satellites detected but the S/N column is showing all zeros and Almanac '0'. When I reinstalled the Sat Nav unit, I was getting no difference in symptoms, and I did reconnect all the cables at the back.

When I get the 'Please wait' message, if I eject the DVD and reinsert it, the Sat Nav seems to work again albeit with the wrong location and no GPS lock.

In the past year or so, when I got the 'please wait' message, i looked at the GPS info in the hidden menu and it was showing the Latitude and Longtitude and other GPS data so it seems right now that whilst the Sat Nav unit is a bit flakey but usable, the GPS receiver has likely died more recently? If so, is part no. 6 in the diagram below the correct item to replace? I can probably get an old one on ebay for £20-25. The Sat Nav unit itself is 10 yrs old whereas the GPS receiver is original i.e. 17 yrs old. Thanks!

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=65_0278

Dennis, whilst I could well replace the whole centre console, nav and audio, everything is working except for the nav, so I'd rather not dispense with the CD changer and other integrated functions for now, but thanks for the suggestion. Worst case I would probably get a cheap sat nav and stick on top of the dashboard until everything else died and then I would likely gut it and upgrade it all.

My Cars
    '03 530i/5sp Sport
    Sounds like you have two problems. One is a bad or disconnected GPS antenna. You are perfectly describing the problem I had which I resolved by replacing the GPS antenna. Your second problem sounds exactly like the problem I had that I resolved by replacing the DVD drive. Note: before I replaced the DVD drive I verified that my navigation DVD was indeed good by trying a different DVD. Both experienced the same problem. Eventually, my DVD degraded to the point where the GPS navagation MID display would only display a single red "Navigation unavailable" message.

In my MKIV GPS, everything is in one unit.

My Cars
    '01 Alpina B10 V8
    Sounds like you have two problems. One is a bad or disconnected GPS antenna. You are perfectly describing the problem I had which I resolved by replacing the GPS antenna. Your second problem sounds exactly like the problem I had that I resolved by replacing the DVD drive. Note: before I replaced the DVD drive I verified that my navigation DVD was indeed good by trying a different DVD. Both experienced the same problem. Eventually, my DVD degraded to the point where the GPS navagation MID display would only display a single red "Navigation unavailable" message. In my MKIV GPS, everything is in one unit.
    Edit: You are right. Somewhere along the line the aerial got disconnected or came loose on the back of the Sat Nav unit, so I reconnected it and am getting 7 out of 8 birds and almanac 'yes' now. However, the Nav unit now can't read the map DVD(s) whereas just a few days ago it could. I tried reinstalling the firmware and disconnecting the battery but made no difference. Hopefully it will start reading the map again by itself like its done before otherwise seems like I need a new Mk4 Sat Nav unit or replace the whole system with something modern. Cheers.
    Last edited by PliSsK; 05-20-2018 at 09:50 AM. Reason: update

My Cars
    '03 530i/5sp Sport
    You can find replacement DVD drives on eBay. Here's the one I purchased. Great customer support from BavTek too.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E38-E39...NWz3jt&vxp=mtr

My Cars
    1993 850ci 2001 M5 / Z3M
    I thought the MK4 antenna was internal. When I upgraded to the MK4, I unplugged the external antenna on my 2001 M5, should I plug the antenna back in? The Nav works fine on my car.
    Regards,

Brian
    Cave Creek, AZ

My Cars
    01 M5 TiAg/M1SW
    You can find replacement DVD drives on eBay. Here's the one I purchased. Great customer support from BavTek too.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E38-E39...NWz3jt&vxp=mtr
    Cool. First I've seen of that.
    Nate J.

(oOO\ (|||)º(|||) /OOo)
    Titanium Silver/Black Nappa Full 07-18-2001 E39 M5 Heritage (BZ99672). 198,000mi+. Increasing daily. Engine rebuild thread.
    (eŌō\ (||||)º(||||) / ōŌe)
    Alpineweiss III/Black Merino Full 03-26-2007 E60 M5 Manual (CX08265). 157,000+. Dead starter -_-

RIP, Seabiscuit. Black Sapphire/Schwarz 03-11-2003 530iA Sport (CK39185). T-boned 03-01-2017 at 155,861mi.
    Take 2 "Otto" - Toledo Blue/Sandbeige 04-25-2002 530iA Sport (CH98032). Sold 11-10-2017 at 147,743mi.
    Take 3 "Manuel" - Toledo Blue/Grau 10-29-2001 530i5 Sport (CE92358). Sold 02-01-2019 at 217,600mi. I regret that. Build Log
    Reliable P.O.S. - Green/gray 1995 Camry V6 LE. 270k mi. Sold for space.

My Cars
    X3 e83 30sd
    Meybe this is not the best thread to post this but my just- bought 2007 X3 e83 mk4 sat nav still has previous owners sat nav last destinations and addresses in. When I delete all its ok (no addresses) until I go back to the car after lock / unlock and they all reappear. Also when I change settings to split screen and colour 2 also resets. Very odd.(Keys reprogrammed via press unlock then 3 locks and bt/tele/Dvd all disconnected/reconnected)Any help?

My Cars
    01 M5 TiAg/M1SW
    Well, that doesn't bode well for the Mk4 nav, unfortunately.

I just swapped my Mk3 nav for a Mk4; when the Mk3 was installed, the DSP settings would automatically revert to "flat", even though the "memo" settings were still there. With the Mk4, it works as it should.

Have you tried disconnecting the battery to reset things? First rule of tech support - unplug it, plug it back in.
    Nate J.

(oOO\ (|||)º(|||) /OOo)
    Titanium Silver/Black Nappa Full 07-18-2001 E39 M5 Heritage (BZ99672). 198,000mi+. Increasing daily. Engine rebuild thread.
    (eŌō\ (||||)º(||||) / ōŌe)
    Alpineweiss III/Black Merino Full 03-26-2007 E60 M5 Manual (CX08265). 157,000+. Dead starter -_-

RIP, Seabiscuit. Black Sapphire/Schwarz 03-11-2003 530iA Sport (CK39185). T-boned 03-01-2017 at 155,861mi.
    Take 2 "Otto" - Toledo Blue/Sandbeige 04-25-2002 530iA Sport (CH98032). Sold 11-10-2017 at 147,743mi.
    Take 3 "Manuel" - Toledo Blue/Grau 10-29-2001 530i5 Sport (CE92358). Sold 02-01-2019 at 217,600mi. I regret that. Build Log
    Reliable P.O.S. - Green/gray 1995 Camry V6 LE. 270k mi. Sold for space.

My Cars
    2003 540s, 2000 740s
    Quote Originally Posted by bdiefAZ View Post
    I thought the MK4 antenna was internal. When I upgraded to the MK4, I unplugged the external antenna on my 2001 M5, should I plug the antenna back in? The Nav works fine on my car.
    I realize this question is now over a month old, but just in case someone reads this down the road.....
    In the MKIV (like the MKIII), the Trimble unit is internal (not a separate unit like the MKII uses). So, with a MKII, the slender black coax cable (the antenna) plugs into the external Trimble unit. On a MKIII or a MKIV, that coax antenna cable plugs directly into the back of the MKIII or MKIV. Yes, it is still needed. It's just with the MKIII or MKIV the external Trimble unit is removed.
    <== Steptronic Sealbeach740
    2000 740i sport: 74k Green/Tan chrome MPars, clear corners, quad brake lights, AIC hi-beams, Hoen fogs, 16x9 screen, MKIV, TFT LCD screen in back, license plate backup camera with "on demand" switch, iPod audio/video (CDC/iPod audio switching, iPod video on 16x9 screen), Basslink, gauge rings, ///M pedals, switched steptronic +/- shifting mode, E46 paddle shifter steering wheel, Dinan engine & tranny software upgrade, DDEs controlled via Euro fog light switch, painted calipers with "BMW" lettering, windows up/sunroof close via remote.

2003 540i sport: 81k, Sterling grey/grey, MKIV Nav, PDC & CWP - Added license plate backup camera with "on demand" switch, paddle shift steering wheel, windows up/sunroof close via remote, Akebono's, painted calipers with "BMW" lettering, quad brake lights, iPod audio via AUX mode/video via 16x9 screen, BMW TV tuner, ///M pedals & gauge rings.