Thread: e36 m3 Suspension help/questions

My Cars
    93 M318is Sedan (lol)

e36 m3 Suspension help/questions

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a 95 m3 with 108k miles. The engine feels amazing. It pulls like my old janky s52 turbo did on like 5 psi but the suspension is totally toast. That being said. I'm going through the whole thing and want to make it drive like a brand new car. It will see mostly street time but the occasional drift event or track day.

I have a few questions though.

1. Can the ball joints in the front control arms be replaced or does the whole arm need replaced?

2. Do the rear subframe mounting points need to be reinforced? I was told the M3's came reinforced from the factory.

3. What brands are safe to go with for bushings? Febi?

4. What brands are safe to go with for wheel bearings? ECS uses Vaico in their wheel bearing kit, are they fine?

5. Lastly, coilovers. I'm looking at some basic BC's or the Fortune Auto 500's. Pro's and cons of each?

Thanks again in advance guys!

20180430_211732_HDR.jpg

My Cars
    Many
    1. You can replace the ball joints alone but it's easier and not much more expensive to buy the entire arm
    2. Early 95s did not have reinforcements. You have to check to see if you have them
    3. For your use, the Revshift stuff is a good choice. They have different "stages" you can chose from.
    4. No knowledge in this area.
    5. I have no experience with either of those brands.

Take a good look at your rear upper shock mounts and RTAB pockets. Both failed on both my 95s.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by zJACKRABBIT View Post
    Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a 95 m3 with 108k miles. The engine feels amazing. It pulls like my old janky s52 turbo did on like 5 psi but the suspension is totally toast. That being said. I'm going through the whole thing and want to make it drive like a brand new car. It will see mostly street time but the occasional drift event or track day.

I have a few questions though.

1. Can the ball joints in the front control arms be replaced or does the whole arm need replaced?

2. Do the rear subframe mounting points need to be reinforced? I was told the M3's came reinforced from the factory.

3. What brands are safe to go with for bushings? Febi?

4. What brands are safe to go with for wheel bearings? ECS uses Vaico in their wheel bearing kit, are they fine?

5. Lastly, coilovers. I'm looking at some basic BC's or the Fortune Auto 500's. Pro's and cons of each?

Thanks again in advance guys!

20180430_211732_HDR.jpg
    1. Yes, you can use the E30 ball joints. I just did this and it's not hard if you have access to a 20 ton press, and is much cheaper than buying new arms. If you search the forum here you can find the part numbers and DIY guides.
    2. Check, as some early M3's might not. I believe all the 96-99 M3's were.
    3. I'd recommend Lemforder for any OEM rubber bushing or ball joint.
    4. I believe FAG is the OEM for the front wheel bearings at least. I did mine last year.
    5. No idea on those brands. I'd suggest not cheaping out on coilovers. Good brands include Bilstein, Ground Control, H&R, etc...
    1999 M3/2/5 - Titanium Silver - Track/Weekend Toy

My Cars
    2002, 320is, 328is, M3
    I run ISC coils from Bimmerworld and for the price you can't beat them. Look into springs and figure out what ride height you need based on wheels and tires also or you get hit with some stupid tax. (Speaking from experience)
    ME:"I want to make my car faster and lighter"
    THEM:" Get out and let someone else drive"