Thread: Can't adjust passenger mirror

My Cars
    2006 BMW E46 325ci

Can't adjust passenger mirror

Hello folks,

I'm new to the forum and have just bought a 2006 E46 325ci, but I'm having an issue with adjusting the passenger side (as im from the UK that would be the left hand side) wing mirror and I hoped that some you guys would be able to give me some advice, i am unable to adjust the mirror, when i try the passenger mirror doesn't move but the drivers mirror does. the passenger mirror still folds fin when using the folding button on the switch and will dip to the kerb when i select reverse and return when im move out of reverse but thats about it.

Since I noticed the problem I replaced the mirror control switch, still have the same issue, I cant get the passenger side mirror to move using the controller, yet it will still happily dip when i go into reverse and back up when i take it out of reverse, and the mirror folds fine using the control switch but that's it. and the switch still does the curious thing of no matter which mirror i have selected the drivers side (right side) will still move even if its the passenger mirror its selected too which always seemed odd

I have just been outside messing with it, I have had the trim off the drivers door too see if there were any damage from the cabling from the switch and mirror, everything seems fine there, I did the same with the passenger door and again the cabling looked fine, and just for good measure I had the mirror off to check its wiring and motors (though i assumed this was ok as the mirror dips in reverse and the mirror folds fine) and as expected it was in good shape

But now dont know where to go from here, i was hoping there would be a mirror control module i could investigate but there wasnt on in the doors and i cant seem to find any information where it would be...

Oh and a final point i wanted to make is that i have electric seats with a memory function, i didnt know if that could cause the issues im having as when i recall the positions of a seat the mirror also moves back to the position it was in (though still only the drivers mirror)

Thanks for looking
    Azean.

My Cars
    '73 E9, '94 E34, '02 E46
    If you can, remove the outer cap over the top and front of the mirror and have a look inside. There should be a wiring connector in there (or maybe it's in the door). Obviously I haven't been in there on your car, but have done similar work on my wife's '98 Benz C280 several times. On that car there are two little electric motors and white plastic gears. The gears can be brittle and fail, but you should still be able to faintly hear the motors spinning when someone thumbs the switch. If the motors don't hum, there's a break in the wiring between the switch and window assembly.

Another thing to try, if you can get the wiring for the mirror to the switch, is to use a multimeter and check whether the switch outputs current to the wires it's supposed to. I read that you've changed the switch, so it should be good, but any information can be useful and the switch is relatively easy to access. Can't help you with getting a wiring diagram tho'.
    Charlie

Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to add value to these threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same or similar problem stands on your shoulders.

My Cars
    2004 BMW E46 convertible
    bmw-e46-wing-mirror-wiring-diagram-fresh-bmw-e46-wing-mirror-wiring-diagram-wiring-diagrams-inst.jpghope this will help
    also I been having s**t with my folding Mirrors to they did go up but did not come back down so I decided to take the driver's door panel off and I saw this which I was not expecting IMG_20190330_111035[1].jpgknowing there was no mirror control module i was hoping there would be one but no lol so I do not no what to do now as I do not no what Mirrors I have now. I have posted a message on here but with no luck with eny one to help

My Cars
    99528it 02525it 04325it
    Have you checked the General Module? E46 GM's are known to fail. The reason I said this is because I had problems with my locking system (intermittent). I borrowed one from my friend and swapped it. It solved my locking problem but now I completely lost the side mirror adjustments.