Thread: Suggestions on upgrading current setup (TT stg 2)

My Cars
    1998 M3 643whp

Suggestions on upgrading current setup (TT stg 2)

I currently have a TT stage 2 (from previous owner) M3 that I'm not overly happy with the boost response of the ancient 60-1 turbo at it's heart. I really would like to upgrade my car to a modern EFR turbo (8374 prob, or 7670) for boost response. End goal, is a responsive, 500whp min on 93oct, no meth (not budget limited). Car must be able to retain AC as well (but currently doesn't have it). Stock bottom end with .140 MLS spacer HG....soon to be replaced with cutring since it's seeping oil down the front corner of block. I'd like to stay with a bottom mount since everything is currently in that config. I know I'd need larger injectors than my (46lb) and a new tune.

The T3, SPA log manifold doesn't make that great of a sound either IMO. I'm not tied to it, but appreciate it's reliability and fact that I have it already as a benefit. Is the 8374 or the 7670 a better pump gas turbo?

I was contemplating on replacing the 60-1 with a Treadstone T3 EWG housing here + EFR 8374, and fabbing it into existing setup. Easiest route
    http://www.treadstoneperformance.com...+A%2FR+74+Trim

The other option would be to also replace the SPA manifold with (below) and run a Treadstone Vband inlet EFR. Not sure if this fits on manifold below though. I am certain that this manifold is better performing and sounding than the SPA due to being almost equal length runners. Not certain on AC retention, quality, or company though since they are from Ukraine (Oleg Coupe is user name). Any experience would be nice.
    http://www.turbo-garage.com.ua/item....mwturbo&part=0
    M5x_ExMani-06.jpg

My Cars
    02 525it, 97 M3, 08 X5
    Take a look at the Steedspeed twinscroll manifold

My Cars
    1998 M3 643whp
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith1054 View Post
    Take a look at the Steedspeed twinscroll manifold
    Appreciate the input: I have already seen this, but consider it more of a lateral move, manifold wise. I'd rather keep my SPA manifold and save the money, or new manifold and get equal length. Do not underestimate the value of equal length runners, even though it's almost impossible to package them on a S52/M50 bottom mount. I know SS mani made serious HP, etc, etc. I see a lot of work to only gain twin scroll, yet retain small runner dias and unequal length on my setup. It's a great option for others though.

My Cars
    |99 Turbo M3 | 2K7 335|
    I upgraded my TT stage 2.. I got a stage 3 tune, 60# injectors, GTX3582r on the TT T3 manifold and CES Cutring, it's way faster on top rpm, but I did loose low-end responsiveness from the TT stage 2.. if I could go back, I would have kept the TT stage 2..

My Cars
    '97 M3
    Are you sure you have a Spa T3 manifold? Did the previous owner swap out the TT for the Spa? The TT manifold starts to choke above 500 who, the Spa has made 800 whp. The Steed TS and EFR are a great combo but you will need an IWG and an EWG in order to control boost, especially if you are trying to limit it to 500 whp.

Gnafy, you should not have lost response from the tune, most likely it was from a hardware change.
    Last edited by chikinhed; 04-30-2018 at 01:56 PM.
    '97 M3, Estoril blue, 2 dr, euro 6-spd, EFR 9180 divided T4 .92 IWG, RK tuning, CP 8.5:1 pistons, Eagle rods, Schrick cams, L19 11 mm ARP studs, O-ringed block, Supertech stainless/inconel valves, Supertech springs & Ti retainers, ported head, S54 oil pump/pan, 80 lb. injectors, OBD1 intake manifold, Steedspeed twin scroll T4, 3.5" SS exhaust, eBoost2 EBC, HFS-4 W/M injection, AEM Failsafe, Zeitronix data logger, Racelogic TC, OpenOBC w. ethanol %, Ireland Eng. engine mounts, UUC black tranny mounts w. enforcers, UUC twin disc feramic, ARC-8's, MCS 2-ways, Z3 rack, Rallyroad strut bar, X brace, Eibach sway bars, Ground Control LCAB bushings, Bimmerworld RTAB's, Powerflex subframe bushings, 210 4-clutch LSD, Stoptech BBK, titainium shims, steel braided lines, brake cooling ducts.

My Cars
    1998 M3 643whp
    Quote Originally Posted by chikinhed View Post
    Are you sure you have a Spa T3 manifold? Did the previous owner swap out the TT for the Spa? The TT manifold starts to choke above 500 who, the Spa has made 800 whp. The Steed TS and EFR are a great combo but you will need an IWG and an EWG in order to control boost, especially if you are trying to limit it to 500 whp.

Gnarfy, you should not have lost response from the tune.

Guess I learn something today. I was assuming they were the same SPA T3=TT? Is that not the case? They sure look similar

Bolded is also why Steedspeed manifold is out of favor with me. EWG design/location on that is pretty bad. No reason at all why EWG is unable to control boost...until you look at where they located it. Flow has to reverse from several cylinders to go through the WG.
    Last edited by wgknestrick; 04-30-2018 at 01:59 PM.

My Cars
    |99 Turbo M3 | 2K7 335|
    Gnafy, you should not have lost response from the tune, most likely it was from a hardware change.
    probably not from the tune, probably more from the gtx35 vs 60-1.. or maybe there is another unrelated problem... I would need to test with another GTX3582r S52 E36..

My Cars
    '97 M3
    On the top of the manifold their is a cast in 'TT' with circuit board design if it's a TT manifold.

- - - Updated - - -

With my GTX3582R and Steed v1.0 I was getting 19 psi at 3100 rpm on the street. I did play with cam timing to optimize spool and transient response though.
    '97 M3, Estoril blue, 2 dr, euro 6-spd, EFR 9180 divided T4 .92 IWG, RK tuning, CP 8.5:1 pistons, Eagle rods, Schrick cams, L19 11 mm ARP studs, O-ringed block, Supertech stainless/inconel valves, Supertech springs & Ti retainers, ported head, S54 oil pump/pan, 80 lb. injectors, OBD1 intake manifold, Steedspeed twin scroll T4, 3.5" SS exhaust, eBoost2 EBC, HFS-4 W/M injection, AEM Failsafe, Zeitronix data logger, Racelogic TC, OpenOBC w. ethanol %, Ireland Eng. engine mounts, UUC black tranny mounts w. enforcers, UUC twin disc feramic, ARC-8's, MCS 2-ways, Z3 rack, Rallyroad strut bar, X brace, Eibach sway bars, Ground Control LCAB bushings, Bimmerworld RTAB's, Powerflex subframe bushings, 210 4-clutch LSD, Stoptech BBK, titainium shims, steel braided lines, brake cooling ducts.

My Cars
    1998 M3 643whp
    On the top of the manifold their is a cast in 'TT' with circuit board design if it's a TT manifold.

- - - Updated - - -

With my GTX3582R and Steed v1.0 I was getting 19 psi at 3100 rpm on the street. I did play with cam timing to optimize spool and transient response though.

I have a custom sheet metal heat shield over the entire manifold from the PO that I've never removed. Need to remove it to see any markings. Probably a TT manifold IIHTG. Does anyone recommend the TurboGarage13, or maximum PSI manifolds?

My Cars
    M3
    Bottom mount equal length is literally out of the question as far as "off the shelf" manifolds. I'm not sure who made it but volloso has a pretty cool looking bottom mount I think, max psi and ar design make top notch stuff if you have the money. I'd just go steed though, it's proven and bullet proof.

My Cars
    1998 M3 643whp

Verified the TT manifold was hiding under the sheet metal heat shield. My god, those runners are tiny. I can't see this setup lasting long on this car. I would not go the SteedSpeed route as the design is sub-optimal. It's a shame because they have a very robust manufacturing process making a high quality, but flawed product. I don't necessily just want "500whp" and will limit a car to that.

I'm going to try to model up something, and get it quoted for a 2 piece inconel, 3d printed part....otherwise it's looking like the MaxPSI manifold is the best for my needs. I might be able to get an equal length, TS design worked out. I have the rough layout in my head, got to put it to SolidWorks now.

I just hope this doesn't turn into the bottomless pit my last project did
    Last edited by wgknestrick; 05-04-2018 at 11:16 AM.