Thread: What's ista-d telling me???

My Cars
    2007 BMW 650i

What's ista-d telling me???

I have a 2007 650i that won't run. The trouble started when I was getting a transmission fault error:
    20170430_224320.jpg Then, the car would shut off while driving and I'd have a hard time starting it. Each time it happened, it would get worse.
    Now, the starter turns, but the engine won't start at all.
    The battery is good and strong.
    I took out the fuel pump to check it, because it wasn't turning on with the ignition, and it runs strong on 12 volts - so it isn't that.
    A good guy I met on one of these forums, Herb, is "long-distance" helping me with the diagnosing of the issue with ISTA-D. First, I replaced the IVM, as many people in the forums were saying it would be the problem. Then, I deleted as many faults as possible with ISTA-D. I also got to the EWS and DME - CAS adjustments, but couldn't complete them and got the error message "SYS-0005: OBJECT FILE NOT FOUND". So, we ran into a dead end and I wonder if someone here has had the same issue and can help me by looking at this screen:
    20180429_003347.jpg Herb thinks there might be a cable interface issue, which prevents ISTA-D from reading all the ECUs, since he gets several more ECUs displayed in his tree, for his 07 750.
    Could all this mean that I have to use a different cable, or perform a different process in ISTA-D, or replace all the units that apear in RED and yellow, or just replace one ECU?
    I would appreciate very much any help here, obviously!!!
    Will

My Cars
    650I, 328i, X3, Z4
    I have the exact same issue with my 2009 650. Intermittent start issues coupled with random transmission faults. Unfortunately I was lazy and didn’t replace IVM until the car wouldn’t start at all (it went from occasionally turning the starter to eventually I heard the starter click but no ignition). With the new IVM the starter now clicks every time, and after making sure the battery and IBM are not the issue, I’ve bought a new starter and am attempting to replace it. Unfortunately this requires dropping the intake manifold which is extremely difficult. I’ll update you when I’ve completed the starter swap, which I’m hoping was not for nothing...
    Is there a reason you don’t suspect the starter? The dealership told me that these starters rarely go out, but I think repeatedly cycling the ignition button until I did get a start caused it to fail. Please keep me posted, and I’ll do the same for you, in the meantime best of luck.