Thread: Engine Malfunction and Increased Emissions CELs

My Cars
    M6

Engine Malfunction and Increased Emissions CELs

Hello everyone,

I have a white ‘08 m6 with 43k Miles. One day I was driving for about 20 minutes and then the increased emissions CEL came on. I do have an aftermarket x pipe installed along with both the mufflers deleted, however this was done some time ago and shouldn’t trigger the increased emissions. The following day the CEL was gone...a day goes by and it came back. There was no noticeable difference in the drive ability or power of the car, so I figured it was a bad o2 sensor and put it off. A week goes by and one morning after 30 seconds while the car was warming up the RPMs dropped, the exhaust note was weird and sounded like a cammed engine starting. This went on for a few seconds until the “Engine Malfunction: Reduced Power” CEL came on along with a 5k redline. I turned the car off and back on, and everything was normal. No CEL and the car drove fine. The Engine Malfumction only occurs on cold starts but not every cold start. And it goes away upon restarting the beast...anybody have a similar expeirnece or any input to what this could be caused by?

My babys currently in my local BMW stealership, hoping for good news. I had the car looked at by an Indy shop he pulled the codes and said they were all misfire codes. He believes it’s something with the fuel injection system and I could possibly be covered under a recall, which I did mention to bmw. I do have a warranty for the car on the engine/transmission but not through BMW. Any input is appreciated

My Cars
    BMW M6 M63 V10 6 sp
    Hi; I had the same thing going on with mine, 2007 6 sp manual. It would give me DSC malfunction, ABS malfunction, increased emissions warnings but no limp mode (reduced power). When the engine malfunction light would come out, the engine would go into limp mode. It came on one day I was driving right in front of an AutoZone Store (they will scan your car for free !!). Went in, had it scanned: the throttle actuator code came up. Have your car scanned. I'm presently disassembling mine to change the actuators and put in new spark plugs and ignition coils. (you have to disassemble so much for either of those items, might as well change them while I'm there).
    From what I've read, Alldata states 5-6 hours of labor, many independent techs state it is more like a 1 1/2-2 hour job. Hope this helps.

My Cars
    M6
    Quote Originally Posted by jvsantosmd View Post
    Hi; I had the same thing going on with mine, 2007 6 sp manual. It would give me DSC malfunction, ABS malfunction, increased emissions warnings but no limp mode (reduced power). When the engine malfunction light would come out, the engine would go into limp mode. It came on one day I was driving right in front of an AutoZone Store (they will scan your car for free !!). Went in, had it scanned: the throttle actuator code came up. Have your car scanned. I'm presently disassembling mine to change the actuators and put in new spark plugs and ignition coils. (you have to disassemble so much for either of those items, might as well change them while I'm there).
    From what I've read, Alldata states 5-6 hours of labor, many independent techs state it is more like a 1 1/2-2 hour job. Hope this helps.
    Had the car scanned for codes
    302 and 303 aka misfires on cylinders 2 and 3.
    Dealership wants to replace my pre cat o2 sensor on bank 2 for $550 (including parts/labor/tax) as some of the wiring “burned onto the exhaust” and they believe this is causing the Engine malfunction. The dealer neglected to mention anything about misfires on cuclinders 2 and 3. My question is can a bad o2 sensor cause misfire codes on specific cylinders? I.t just doesn’t make any sense to me, however someone more mechanically inclined may be able to answer the question. My SA specifically said they want to “try this” first and see “how things operate and how the tests go” after they replace I.t. Sounds to me like they’re trying to charge me for some bs just to tell me I have to replace another part. I found o2 sensors for the ‘08 m6 online $80-$160 and $450 in labor seems outrageous.
    Can the pre cat o2 sensors cause misfire codes on specific cylinders?
    My local Indy shop believes it’s a problem with the fuel injectors, however they told me this before BMW spoke to me about the o2 sensor and I have yet to hear back from them.

My Cars
    BMW M6 M63 V10 6 sp
    After fixing my throttle actuators, 90+% of my engine codes went away. There was one that was bothering me, couldn't find it. My mechanic told me there had been a recall on the battery cables... have you seen all the circuits with these cables? To top it off, after several calls, my car had the cable recall taken care in 2012, well before I bought it. Turned out it's the alternator.
    Sometimes a problem down stream will give strange upstream codes.