Thread: Anyone here who has e39 M5

My Cars
    bmw 850i M-tech

Anyone here who has e39 M5

I'm seriously considering of getting an e39 M5. If someone here has one or has experience for it, how much different car it is compared to e31. Is it better in every aspect? I like e31's look but would really love to get a car that performs.

All experiences are appreciated.
    Last edited by mikae31; 04-29-2018 at 02:24 PM.

My Cars
    1993 850ci 2001 M5 / Z3M
    Wow!
    Regards,

Brian
    Cave Creek, AZ

My Cars
    '93 850Ci- Daily Driver
    If you want to ask a question about the M5, ask ROSAKIRK on this forum - he can tell you from first hand experience about the M5, and why he now drives an ALPINA B7...
    '93 850Ci - Mineralweiß Metallic

2001 740iL - Titansilber
    ALPINA B7 -Alpinweiß III

...the price of cool ain't cheap!

My Cars
    1992 E31 850i
    I owed a 2003, from new -- I bought it in 2004 as a leftover, so it was one of the very last produced. I kept it about three years, a little over 30k miles. It was a fantastic driver's car, and no one expects an understated sedan to perform like that one will. It's almost a factory-built sleeper. You can have fun with it when you want, drive it to work when you want, haul the family or business associates when you want, surprise some punk kid in a "tuner car" off a stop light when you want, and so on -- stuff you already know.

Unfortunately, my experience with E39 reliability was mixed at best. A lot of parts on the car were not up to the engine -- the transmission being a case in point. I had at least two warranty replacements of the gearbox, mostly related to problems with the synchros. (At least in that regard, it should sound familiar to E31 6-speed owners.) At each replacement, I went ahead and did a new clutch and associated parts even if it was a little premature -- they wear faster than average, and in my opinion don't have enough holding power to enjoy the M5 drivetrain at full tilt. And yes, before anyone asks, I'm competent driving a three-pedal car -- I've never had a problem with any other manual transmission I've ever owned, including at least two or three other BMW models. My M5 also destroyed one rear differential. Make a mental note that I may have enjoyed some spirited driving, but I never once tracked that car. It's my (unresearched) opinion that a bunch of shared parts which were strong enough for a 525 or a 540 model simply couldn't hold up to the added punishment of the S62. I always found myself feeling like the car spent a lot more time at the dealership than it should. Certainly more than any other car I have ever owned, BMW or otherwise.

The sad excuse for pavement in Houston was also hard on that car -- I bent one rear wheel beyond repair in a pothole on Memorial Drive, which somehow bubbled the sidewall of the low-profile (was it a 35-series?) tire without blowing it, and I had to replace both. I've long since forgotten the cost, but those wheels don't come cheap and the OEM shadow chrome finish (or whatever they call it) is almost impossible to replicate if you choose to repair and repaint following curb rash, etc. Plan on doing all four or they'll never match. Your roads may be better, but if you buy one that is already rashed, this is relevant information for you. The wheels will look fine if you repaint or powder coat in a similar silver. I wound up going that route on my Z3 M Coupe and am satisfied with the result -- plus, I did all four wheels for less than one replacement would have cost.

I sold my M5 to a private party before the warranty expired, and well before the bottom of the depreciation curve. He enjoyed it for another year or two, before family issues required him to sell it on, and I lost track of it after that. These days you can find high-mileage cars priced in the teens (US$), and somewhat nicer examples in the twenties. For that, I might be willing to own one again, knowing maintenance costs would be high. I've toyed with the idea of picking up a later V10 model, with the manual transmission, but I just find myself not interested in a lot of the electronic bits and bobbles that BMW can't stop themselves from putting in cars. (Also, I hear that the V10 has a reputation for grenading if you don't watch its bearings like a hawk. I'm sure the risk is overstated...until it happens to you!) I'm not interested in "driving an iPad," which is why I don't own something like an i8 or Tesla any number of other newer vehicles. I guess I'm finally getting old, because the more analog the machine, the more I enjoy the experience.

You could definitely do worse than a well-kept E39 M5, but shop for one that hasn't become someone's beater. If I wanted a more modern sporty car with some functionality, I'd probably be looking instead at a Panamera. Not necessarily beautiful, but objectively better than recent 5-series in nearly every regard. In comparison to other Porsches I have owned, BMW falls much closer to the Fiat end of the reliability spectrum. I've also toyed with driving something like the Rapide, but the rear seat headroom is a deal-breaker.

Just my thoughts -- worth only what they cost you.

Cheers, John

My Cars
    2000 m5, 1994 850 ci
    I've had mine for the last 10 years, probably the greatest car I've ever owned. Take care of it, and it will take care of you.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i6
    My buddy has one with 390,000 miles on it. It’s been perfect. It’s got coilovers on it and we beat a bunch of UMI Performance Camaros in it the other day at an autocross Summit Racing held at Atlanta Motor Speedway.

My Cars
    bmw 850i M-tech
    Thanks everyone for your answers. There is one for sale here, which i'm interested. I'll take a closer look at it and will also call its previous owner.