Thread: Navigation gets initial position - but doesn't move while driving!

My Cars
    BMW 525i E39 2001

Post Navigation gets initial position - but doesn't move while driving!

Hi All,

Just picked up a great 2004 E60.

Only problem is with the Navigation system. Whenever the car is first started (or the Navi DVD inserted), the Navi will load and get the correct initial position of the GPS, but will not change from there. Driving down the road, the car's Navi still shows as stopped in the original position, making it non-functional. This is both while a waypoint is set, and without a set waypoint.

I was having a look through the ownership history, apparently the first owner has had the navigation system upgraded to CCC + Bluetooth audio, at around $3000 cost. Not sure if this is beneficial. There is a DVD slot below the CD slot, which contains the map data. Removing and inserting the DVD seems to 'update' the position, but again it doesn't move from that initial state.

To my knowledge Navi has worked previously for other owners, but am not sure when it stopped functioning.

Any ideas?

My Cars
    81,e21 orig ownr&05,e60
    Might be something as simple as a bad dvd playor not continuing to read disc once unit boots up. Pull codes with a good BMW compatable OBD code reader, like Carly or one of the laptop based software programs.

My 05 530i with CCC Professional, crapped out back in 2014, pulled codes and had motherboard replaced and has worked without a glitch after repair.

My Cars
    BMW 525i E39 2001
    Quote Originally Posted by jtbgonesailing View Post
    Might be something as simple as a bad dvd playor not continuing to read disc once unit boots up. Pull codes with a good BMW compatable OBD code reader, like Carly or one of the laptop based software programs.

My 05 530i with CCC Professional, crapped out back in 2014, pulled codes and had motherboard replaced and has worked without a glitch after repair.
    I thought about that, but it seems odd it would be fine for the initial position grab, and map load; then stop working.
    Will a OBD reader pick up an issue like this, would this even log a fault in the Onboard Computer?

What was the cost for your motherboard replacement?

My Cars
    81,e21 orig ownr&05,e60
    The CCC and Nav modules are supported by a series of BMW proprietary error codes. When the mother board went out, I pulled the codes with Carly iPad app and had 4 or 5 error codes in that area. Laptop based programs such as ISTA/D, IMPA, NCSExpert, etc would certainly have this ability and some. Oh and the motherboard repair with shipping was approx 500 USD plus updated system software for the entire car.

My Cars
    2004 325xi,2004 545i SMG
    the DVD slot under the cd player is for the NAV disk only. people try to play movies in there and damage the drives. Also, the 3k upgrade was a factory upgrade. Have the NAV system programed with latest software (whole car actually) and make sure you have the latest disk for your area.
    Level 1 Certified BMW tech.