Thread: NGK iridium spark plugs

My Cars
    BMW M6 M63 V10 6 sp

NGK iridium spark plugs

Hello again; Tried SEARCH, came out empty...
    From my S54 days there was a big movement towards iridium spark plugs. I see that the M85 V10 uses platinum spark plugs (NGK LKR8AP). Is there an advantage in using iridium spark plugs? Should I upgrade or stay with the platinum? I am doing a throttle actuator replacement and have the spark plugs looking at me...I bough the car used and have no clue how old the existing spark plugs are.

My Cars
    BMW M6 M63 V10 6 sp
    Hello community,
    Since I got no answers I assumed the platinum plugs were the way to go. There's a YouTube video on how to change the spark plugs... REALLY helpful, couldn't have done it without their guidance. WAIT!! there are some important variations...
    If you start with a good quality spark plug socket (magnetic) life will be a lot easier. Have at hand several 3' extensions, a universal joint, a 6 to 9 inch extension and a good torque wrench BEFORE you begin.
    (for those of you who also suffer from OCD like me, a tube of anti-seize compound will also do good.)

The YouTube video states you drop the tools into the spark plug sockets, assemble them while they're in there... I found out that If you take the magnetic socket, attach it to a 3" extension with rounded connectors-the ones that will let the socket wiggle around a little bit-, then another 3" extension, then a universal connector, then a 6 to 9 inch extension you can get easy access to the 5-10 cylinders. the passenger side farthest back cylinder plug can be easily accessed through the wiring harness if you drop the socket with the movable 3" extension, then the std 3" extension, then the universal joint, then the 6 to 9 inch extension through the wiring harness. EASY !!.

The YouTube video states you can use a 3/8 extension to pull out the coils, the farthest ones back can be levered against an oil hose at the back of the engine.. DON'T DO IT !! I broke the plastic clip on the passenger side coil. Maybe next time (50,000 miles away) I will go through the wiring harness again. By the way, even before I broke the metal connector off the #5 passenger coil I had already bought a set of new NAPON coils; just waiting for them to install.

Meanwhile, I will spend my Saturday installing new lifetime warranty throttle actuators.