Thread: Is there an upgraded heater core available?

My Cars
    1997 BMW 840Ci

Is there an upgraded heater core available?

So I've been radio silent here for quite some time, but active years back. I've owned my '97 840 for 14 years and it is a garage queen, show winner level. But, as a garage queen she sits a lot, only getting out during the driving season (about now through maybe early December), and maybe a couple thousand miles per year.

During this off season I had a list. So my indy (BMW Master Mechanic) did most of the work, and of course added to the list... Aside from leaks (valve covers, timing chain, pinion seal), motor mounts, I needed all new rear suspension. It was due. BTW, thanks to Wolf having the Wokke upper wishbone bushings (saved me over a grand). Several thousand later, I'm good, or so I thought.

Last year, and the day before a major show I noticed the AC blowing hot. Not good in mid-July in the Midwest. Last minute trip to a chain shop to recharge. Of course they didn't have the shrader valves, but it was good and cold. These cars have A LOT of refrigerant, pushing the recharge up to almost $300. This lasted a while, but blowing hot last fall. This was on my original list, so we recharged again and replaced the shrader valves thinking that was it. Not so.

Just had it up on the rack this morning and saw the dye from the evaporator drain. Condenser. So, dash removal is going to happen. Obviously need to replace the heater core while we're in there. My question, is there an upgraded, non-plastic tube version available? And, anything else recommended?

TIA.

My Cars
    Cool Volvo, Ugly BMW
    Just one type of heater core from my knowledge, but the plastic pipes should be replaced. When I get around to putting mine in, I plan to cover the pipes with insulating tape over a coat of epoxy resin. Good luck with your back and knuckles.
    What "thumbs up" really means

My Cars
    M3, 850i, E30T, E55T
    If the original lasts 20 years, I'm hoping the new one will last another 20. My pipes were fine, O-rings were just flattened out.

My Cars
    6.5 second 69 Camaro
    The heater core is usually not the issue, O-rings from my experience which have been updated.