Thread: Anyone know what this plug is for?

My Cars
    7 BMWs over the years

Anyone know what this plug is for?

Was working on something else when I noticed this plug hanging out, just relaxing tucked underneath the glovebox in the space between the outside/underside bottom of the glovebox and the "knee" trim piece. Wow, I'm horrible at describing things so please see attached photo, which is upside down, so I'm horrible at photos, too.

Anyone know what this is for?

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by reyxlp; 04-26-2018 at 03:15 PM.

My Cars
    Supercharged 850ci
    Quote Originally Posted by reyxlp View Post
    Was working on something else when I noticed this plug hanging out, just relaxing tucked underneath the glovebox in the space between the outside/underside bottom of the glovebox and the "knee" trim piece. Wow, I'm horrible at describing things so please see attached photo, which is upside down, so I'm horrible at photos, too.

Anyone know what this is for?

Thanks!
    Looks like a speaker connector.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1994 850CSi #125
    Glovebox light?
    Taylor in Carlsbad

P=(p x v3 x Cd x A)/2

My Cars
    1994 BMW 840Ci
    Interested in finding this out too. :-)

My Cars
    Made in Germany
    That's the connector to the switch for the glovebox light. Does the glovebox light come on when you open it?

Early E31 without passenger-side airbag had 2 glovebox compartments and hence 2 switches and 2 identical connectors. However, even the latest electrical troubleshooting manual (ETM) still shows both switches and connectors (1995 and by that time the passenger-side airbag was standard equipment over the entire production line). I don't know whether that's a mistake in the diagrams or whether that second switch/connector really is still present. So if your glovebox light works normally, I'd say it's the second switch which is no longer used in your '96. If it doesn't work, well, you know what to do...

My Cars
    7 BMWs over the years
    Quote Originally Posted by revtor View Post
    That's the connector to the switch for the glovebox light. Does the glovebox light come on when you open it?

Early E31 without passenger-side airbag had 2 glovebox compartments and hence 2 switches and 2 identical connectors. However, even the latest electrical troubleshooting manual (ETM) still shows both switches and connectors (1995 and by that time the passenger-side airbag was standard equipment over the entire production line). I don't know whether that's a mistake in the diagrams or whether that second switch/connector really is still present. So if your glovebox light works normally, I'd say it's the second switch which is no longer used in your '96. If it doesn't work, well, you know what to do...
    Ahh great thank you! Bottom glovebox light works fine. Car is ECE, federalized by PO. Only had driver's airbag from factory so they had to add passenger bag to import. This must be from the upper glove box, which they removed for the bag.