Thread: Anyone heard from Randy Forbes???

My Cars
    2000 Z3 Roadster

Anyone heard from Randy Forbes???

Hey All,

I have been trying to get a hold of Randy to purchase a subframe kit and have tried sending him private messages as well as emails to his personal email. Has anyone seen or heard from him lately? I hope all is well...

Thanks!

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    He posted here in the last day or two. And it ain't hurricane season yet....

/.randy

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster
    If you find him, tell him I am looking for him too. Well, I saw him posting on and off and figured he is ok. I wasn’t going to bug him because I know he been busy with bunch of projects. I am just patiently waiting for my turn in line to send my car to him .

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    This forum no longer logs me in each time I visit unless I make a post, and then I'm logged in automatically__but since I'm already "here" it doesn't give me any notices of PMs.

As for my email, I try to pick one day a week and answer as many as I can__sometimes I can finish them all, and sometimes I have to stop when it all goes cross-eyed! I've tried canned letters, but without fail, somebody always asks a question requiring a personal answer, so editing a form letter turns out to be more trouble than just composing each letter tailored to the individual asking the question.

When I answer emails, I get behind with cars I should be working on. When I'm working on cars like I'm supposed to, I get behind on emails. As soon as they perfect that whole cloning thing, I'm putting in my request for another me. In the meantime, volunteer help is welcomed (the pay is lousy, but the benefits__especially if you own a Z3M__are good, and I'm just a swell guy to be around ).

Looking at the last PM of yours that I did answer, nothing's changed; the kits are in stock and the PayPal address is still: SPORTSCARSPLUS@AOL.COM

Thank you for being patient and understanding
    Last edited by Randy Forbes; 04-26-2018 at 02:16 PM.

My Cars
    2000 Z3 Roadster
    HAHAHA! Thank you, Randy! We are all glad you still exist. Paypal and Resume' headed your way!

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Forbes View Post
    This forum no longer logs me in each time I visit unless I make a post, and then I'm logged in automatically__but since I'm already "here" it doesn't give me any notices of PMs.

As for my email, I try to pick one day a week and answer as many as I can__sometimes I can finish them all, and sometimes I have to stop when it all goes cross-eyed! I've tried canned letters, but without fail, somebody always asks a question requiring a personal answer, so editing a form letter turns out to be more trouble than just composing each letter tailored to the individual asking the question.

When I answer emails, I get behind with cars I should be working on. When I'm working on cars like I'm supposed to, I get behind on emails. As soon as they perfect that whole cloning thing, I'm putting in my request for another me. In the meantime, volunteer help is welcomed (the pay is lousy, but the benefits__especially if you own a Z3M__are good, and I'm just a swell guy to be around ).

Looking at the last PM of yours that I did answer, nothing's changed; the kits are in stock and the PayPal address is still: SPORTSCARSPLUS@AOL.COM

Thank you for being patient and understanding
    Randy, I volunteer myself. Especially with my z3m eventually heading to your garage. Just say the word when.

My Cars
    2000 Z3
    I understand that position. You are a highly specialized one man butt-kicking contest, people think there is a 'team' or 'you guys' there, but all the while it is just you scrambling your best because anyone who could competently help with comms or shop work already has their own things to run. I'm there, just in another industry.

Stubbornness is a virtue....

My Cars
    2001 M ROADSTER
    Randy. I feel for ya. We both love top down motoring. Based on your posts you have a lust for roadsters and the feel they give you. I the same. You have taken it to the another level working on other peoples cars we all love. My hat is off to you.

Keep the lust alive.

Now if only the love of my life had more than 78 HP but my 01 M Roadster will do for now

My Cars
    Several
    This is a long shot but are there any installers in the SC/NC/GA area?
    Maybe some web and customer support help is needed.

My Cars
    1996 z3
    [QUOTE=adonnan;30009592]This is a long shot but are there any installers in the SC/NC/GA area?
    Maybe some web and customer s pport help is needed.[/QUOTEi. In the Charlotte NC area Touring car Inc did my car very good work would recommend them

- - - Updated - - -

The question was asked who can do this job in NC my car was done by Touring car Inc in Charlotte NC they did very good work and where nice to work with.

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Forbes View Post
    ...__especially if you own a Z3M__...
    I call shenanigans. Benefits are good if you own any e36/7/8.
    2001 Z3 3.0i -Oxford Green/Sandbeige
    2016 428xi -Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 430iC- Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 330it - Melbourne Red/Venetian Beige/Black

My Cars
    MRster / Z4 M4i / X5 M50
    Quote Originally Posted by adonnan View Post
    This is a long shot but are there any installers in the SC/NC/GA area?
    Maybe some web and customer support help is needed.
    If you can't find a shop who has done the install before, look for a good fabricator, not a body shop. I was able to find a local shop which specializes in race car building and maintenance. I gave them Randy's kit and his instructions and they did a great job.

Since you are in NASCAR country, there should be many places to choose from.
    2002 M Roadster, Steel Gray Metailic, Gray Nappa Leather, Black Soft Top, Steel Gray Metailic Hard Top, TC Kline Double Adj Shocks with H&R Springs, Stromung Exhaust, SSR Type C Wheels. Looking for a new home.

2022 Z4 M40i, Misano Blue Metallic, Prem Pkg, Driver Assistance Pkg

2023 X5 M50, Phytonic Blue, Black Extended Merion Leather, Driving Asst Pro Pkg, Park Asst Pkg, Exec Pkg, Climate Comfort Pkg.

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by amancuso View Post
    I call shenanigans. Benefits are good if you own any e36/7/8.
    Intention was for that to read as Z3 &/or Z3M (all inclusive ).

However, shenanigans are never in short supply either!

JHwrenchead, kit's going out today, thank you!

My Cars
    1998 z3 M Roadster
    It is good to know that the expert members (not the I never did this but here is my opinion posters) are still here. I have taken advantage of this forum to help learn about my 1998 M Roadster for a while but not being an expert have been reluctant to post. But have been doing work on a previous 86 535i and 91 525i before getting my first 1998 M Roadster (totaled by a texter last year). Bought a twin with less miles so am pretty happy. The new car drives well but I decided to probe the DME (should have done this before buying. Someone, owner, mechanic removed MIL bulb) and found a camshaft position error (065). My dealer and and an number of other sites show the camshaft position sensor as a Hall Effect sensor, but the BMW Electrical Trouble Shooting diagram does not show this sensor and Realoem shows a sensor with the same part number as a Hall Effect Sensor on other diagrams. There is no 5 v reference signal from my DME (MS41.1) to the sensor. Rather there is a 2.5 V signal with superimposed high frequency signal that appears to change frequency during the firing cycle in relation to crankshaft signal (typical Hall effect signal). A limited number of sites refer to a non-standard use of a Hall Effect Sensor with the Ms41.1 DME to record cam position by frequency modulation but with no details. Nonetheless, I cannot seem to resolve the 065 error and get my engine to employ non-default cam position and appropriate firing advance. Hope the experts here can help

My Cars
    1998 Z3 1.9 5 speed
    Quote Originally Posted by tsick View Post
    It is good to know that the expert members (not the I never did this but here is my opinion posters) are still here. I have taken advantage of this forum to help learn about my 1998 M Roadster for a while but not being an expert have been reluctant to post. But have been doing work on a previous 86 535i and 91 525i before getting my first 1998 M Roadster (totaled by a texter last year). Bought a twin with less miles so am pretty happy. The new car drives well but I decided to probe the DME (should have done this before buying. Someone, owner, mechanic removed MIL bulb) and found a camshaft position error (065). My dealer and and an number of other sites show the camshaft position sensor as a Hall Effect sensor, but the BMW Electrical Trouble Shooting diagram does not show this sensor and Realoem shows a sensor with the same part number as a Hall Effect Sensor on other diagrams. There is no 5 v reference signal from my DME (MS41.1) to the sensor. Rather there is a 2.5 V signal with superimposed high frequency signal that appears to change frequency during the firing cycle in relation to crankshaft signal (typical Hall effect signal). A limited number of sites refer to a non-standard use of a Hall Effect Sensor with the Ms41.1 DME to record cam position by frequency modulation but with no details. Nonetheless, I cannot seem to resolve the 065 error and get my engine to employ non-default cam position and appropriate firing advance. Hope the experts here can help
    I'd suggest you start a new thread rather than tag this on to the end of an unrelated thread.

My Cars
    2000 Z3 M Coupe
    If anyone needs an installer around Chicago, I recommend Repairs Plus in Villa Park (West suburbs). I bought a RF kit and had them install it. Mine was RP's first Z3 subframe reinforcement, but having done one, they're ready to do more. The owner also builds and races drag cars, so he's tolerant of performance modification type stuff. After the job, they said great things about Randy's kit, and the clarity of his directions. He was initially reluctant to "cut into a healthy patient", but once he got into it, he said "I get it now. The factory diff mount is chicken sh*t. But now, you could hang this car from the diff and it ain't going nowhere."

https://*******/maps/y5fa5jr4pgFZdjsB6

My Cars
    1998 z3 M Roadster
    Thanks. Since I am obviously new to posting, can you direct me where and how to start a new thread. This seems to be a somewhat rare issue, perhaps only related to the MS14.1 DME and perhaps a non-conventional use of a Hall Effect Cam sensor by this Siemens DME. I know it relates to my 1998 MZ3 but there are isolated posts in other forums suggesting the same problem. Perhaps the e36 z3 forum but would defer to your suggestion.

My Cars
    1998 z3 M Roadster
    Found how to start the thread under "Forum Tools" Will try posting in the z3 forum first

My Cars
    335i POS!!
    Randy is a great guy. Fixed some issues with the FabSpeed header in the Ferrari and knows his Bimmers. He also helped me sell the CSL this week..TY RANDYYYY

My Cars
    2019 X3
    Sorry for asking. I am having a hard time to find a link or something to buy Randy Forbes kit for my Z3. Can somebody please point me in a direction

My Cars
    1998 Z3 1.9 5 speed
    See post 4, above.

My Cars
    BMW Z3M
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilPhil View Post
    If anyone needs an installer around Chicago, I recommend Repairs Plus in Villa Park (West suburbs). I bought a RF kit and had them install it. Mine was RP's first Z3 subframe reinforcement, but having done one, they're ready to do more. The owner also builds and races drag cars, so he's tolerant of performance modification type stuff. After the job, they said great things about Randy's kit, and the clarity of his directions. He was initially reluctant to "cut into a healthy patient", but once he got into it, he said "I get it now. The factory diff mount is chicken sh*t. But now, you could hang this car from the diff and it ain't going nowhere."

https://*******/maps/y5fa5jr4pgFZdjsB6
    Hi Phil, I'm in Chicago, how can I contact you? Phone or email etc..

My Cars
    00 M Roady '22 Lexus RC
    [QUOTE=Nichu;30759635]Hi Phil, I'm in Chicago, how can I contact you? Phone or email etc..[/QUOTt]

The best way is to use the private message feature here on the forum.

My Cars
    none
    New to this forum.

Considering '98 M roadster. Great resources here about subframe issue.

Any recommendations how to find a reputable installer of the RF fix in Southeast Michigan (greater Detroit area)? Any help appreciated!