Thread: M5 brake swap on 528i

My Cars
    1998 528i

M5 brake swap on 528i

I'm sure there is a thread out there somewhere that touches on this, but damn if i could find it. So my apologies in advance!

I've recently installed 19" wheels on my '98 528i and now i'm looking to fill the cavernous void left by the miniature factory brake set ups. First, i'm looking to solve the issue in the rear. My intention is to install a set of M5 take offs. This is strictly an aesthetically driven mod, and i'm not expecting much if any increased performance. So, has anyone already attempted this?

In looking at the exploded parts diagrams on realoem, it looks like all I will need is the complete caliper assembly, rotor and the protective plate. All other part numbers seem to be a match. But it cant really be that easy......can it????

Love to hear from anyone who has already done/tried this.

My Cars
    1998 528i 5speed Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Xavier1072 View Post
    I'm sure there is a thread out there somewhere that touches on this, but damn if i could find it. So my apologies in advance!

I've recently installed 19" wheels on my '98 528i and now i'm looking to fill the cavernous void left by the miniature factory brake set ups. First, i'm looking to solve the issue in the rear. My intention is to install a set of M5 take offs. This is strictly an aesthetically driven mod, and i'm not expecting much if any increased performance. So, has anyone already attempted this?

In looking at the exploded parts diagrams on realoem, it looks like all I will need is the complete caliper assembly, rotor and the protective plate. All other part numbers seem to be a match. But it cant really be that easy......can it????

Love to hear from anyone who has already done/tried this.
    You can add the e60 hubs to get more creative wheel choices in the future.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    e30 325i, the mighty 4 door granma mobile....Gone
    e39 528i, 4 door sports tank

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR

Looking for an E39 belly pan , passenger front inner fender liner …

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Well. If OP has JUST SOURCED brand new E39 wheels, E60 hub swap is an assload of unnecessary pain and suffering and $ for zero short-term gain and infact would require then adapter hub rings for the wheels he has already. Not to mention its not just the fronts you'd get all involved in the rears too.

Re: the brakes...

Fronts are indeed pretty easy bolt on as Jason links to above. The rears are what require any 'real' work at all. You either need to swap the backing plates, or, cut the existing ones up, and I believe also something with the parking brake adjusters. I have never done this myself, but just know from others.

Be aware (look at pix...) the M5 brakes are big honking cast ATE mono-pistons, essentially just like a bigger version of what you have. So they don't look THAT sexy and aren't actually even THAT big, although if you powder coat or epoxy paint them, then of course you can get a little bit of bling factor going (however PC'ing your existing brakes would not look that much different!) They do have an "M" on them so there's that .

Yes they will be an 'improvement' for sure, although your existing brakes aren't probably falling short in any way, but hey, mods are mods and better brakes are always good. Most of the benefit IMO is probably coming from the bigger rotors and 'swept area' ore than piston size of the caliper.

M5 rotors are 345mm/328mm
    540/530 rotors are 324mm/298mm
    538 rotors are 296mm/298mm (rears same as 540)

So a 1/2 way cheapo budget brake upgrade option exists to use 540/530 front brakes which are essentially 1/2 way to M5. I'd offer you my 540 take-offs but they are running around on a friends I6 E39T already.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    1998 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by Yonkers320is View Post
    You can add the e60 hubs to get more creative wheel choices in the future.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Thanks, but my main goal here is to fill the wheel opening. These wheels are brand new and i don't expect to be making a change any time soon.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jason5driver View Post
    Great, thanks for this.

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Thanks, but my main goal here is to fill the wheel opening. These wheels are brand new and i don't expect to be making a change any time soon..
    That's exactly what I was saying...
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    1998 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    Well. If OP has JUST SOURCED brand new E39 wheels, E60 hub swap is an assload of unnecessary pain and suffering and $ for zero short-term gain and infact would require then adapter hub rings for the wheels he has already. Not to mention its not just the fronts you'd get all involved in the rears too.

Re: the brakes...

Fronts are indeed pretty easy bolt on as Jason links to above. The rears are what require any 'real' work at all. You either need to swap the backing plates, or, cut the existing ones up, and I believe also something with the parking brake adjusters. I have never done this myself, but just know from others.

Be aware (look at pix...) the M5 brakes are big honking cast ATE mono-pistons, essentially just like a bigger version of what you have. So they don't look THAT sexy and aren't actually even THAT big, although if you powder coat or epoxy paint them, then of course you can get a little bit of bling factor going (however PC'ing your existing brakes would not look that much different!) They do have an "M" on them so there's that .

Yes they will be an 'improvement' for sure, although your existing brakes aren't probably falling short in any way, but hey, mods are mods and better brakes are always good. Most of the benefit IMO is probably coming from the bigger rotors and 'swept area' ore than piston size of the caliper.

M5 rotors are 345mm/328mm
    540/530 rotors are 324mm/298mm
    538 rotors are 296mm/298mm (rears same as 540)

So a 1/2 way cheapo budget brake upgrade option exists to use 540/530 front brakes which are essentially 1/2 way to M5. I'd offer you my 540 take-offs but they are running around on a friends I6 E39T already.
    Thanks Geargringer.....I know the M calipers aren't much in the looks department, but I plan to do the ECS big brake kit in the front, so the comfy price point of the used M set up and fresh powder coat is what I'm shooting for. There's a guy in my area that parts out e39 M5's, so the parts are easy to come by. Also, agreed on the performance of my existing brakes "not falling short". But. I'm about due to for new rotors and pads anyway, so....eh, why not. The increased rotor size(for the look) is really what i'm after, to be honest.

Great feedback though! Much appreciated

My Cars
    2002 BMW E39 530i (UK)
    Personally I’d stick with the 530i or 540i calipers and discs/pads

Im running 19” alloys on my 530i and they fill the gap very well IMO

Those, alongside braided brake lines and decent fluid, you’ll have great stopping power and looks to fill the wheels until you do your BBK upgrade
    My car: 2002 E39 540i Sport - Japanese import - the new project!

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    And you do know that your front calipers are cast iron, the rears should be aluminum.
    The M5 calipers are all cast iron and MUCH heavier, same for the heavier M5 rotors if that concerns you.

My Cars
    1998 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    And you do know that your front calipers are cast iron, the rears should be aluminum.
    The M5 calipers are all cast iron and MUCH heavier, same for the heavier M5 rotors if that concerns you.
    Thanks Jim....Yes, i know i'm adding a little heft, but for now, its something i'm ok with.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by danb1979 View Post
    Personally I’d stick with the 530i or 540i calipers and discs/pads

Im running 19” alloys on my 530i and they fill the gap very well IMO

Those, alongside braided brake lines and decent fluid, you’ll have great stopping power and looks to fill the wheels until you do your BBK upgrade
    Thanks Dan...I'd love to see your setup. Any chance you could post a pic of the wheel?

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    the rears should be aluminum
    Huh. I did not know that.... Just when you think you know all the obscure stupid stuff about a car...
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    Huh. I did not know that.... Just when you think you know all the obscure stupid stuff about a car...
    I knew that cuz I has a set of M calipers when I bought the M5 subframe with everything attached to get the diff, driveshaft, and axles. I powder coated them and was going to put them on my car, but didn't want the extra weight so I sold them to some dude in chi town. Gave the rotors to Leo, think you might have got the backing plates. The only thing I have left is the e-brake cables.

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Ha. I gave the backing plate stuff to Leo in the end too I think?
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    528iT
    I may be doing this setup on my Wagon later this summer. Another guy I know is running C6 Z06 calipers in the front with Z06 rotors, originally had E60 535 rotors on the front.

Using the Z06 rotors at a massive 14.1", I'm not sure if even a set of Volk Racing TE37s or ARC8s in a 17" diameter will clear. Using the E60 535i rotors would definitely allow the clearance, as they are 10mm smaller and that rotor is shared with the 135/335s as well.

Just some food for thought.

My Cars
    1998 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by itsbrokeagain View Post
    I may be doing this setup on my Wagon later this summer. Another guy I know is running C6 Z06 calipers in the front with Z06 rotors, originally had E60 535 rotors on the front.

Using the Z06 rotors at a massive 14.1", I'm not sure if even a set of Volk Racing TE37s or ARC8s in a 17" diameter will clear. Using the E60 535i rotors would definitely allow the clearance, as they are 10mm smaller and that rotor is shared with the 135/335s as well

Just some food for thought.
    And the Chevy parts bolt right on with no fitment issues????

My Cars
    2002 BMW E39 530i (UK)

Thanks Dan...I'd love to see your setup. Any chance you could post a pic of the wheel?
    Apologies; just seen this:

This was as the new front calipers and discs were fitted (they're Mtec grooved 324mm discs)

And this is how they sit behind my 19" BBS LM reps:

My car: 2002 E39 540i Sport - Japanese import - the new project!