Thread: Help ID These Nuts

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe

Help ID These Nuts

So I've come across these distinctive yellow zinc flange nuts with a spinning flange (like a captive washer) during the course of my suspension project, and have no idea where they came from. I've gone through realoem on all the parts of the car I've worked on and haven't found anything. They could be from something I've replaced with new hardware, but I haven't been able to figure out what. I've touched the front/rear suspension, motor/trans mounts, exhaust, oil pan, and a few bits in the top of the engine bay around the intake to make space to get to the belts and engine mounts.

I've found two M10 nuts and one M8 nut (I'm guessing there's another M8 floating around). Here's pictures of both sides of them, one of each size. If anyone knows what the hell these are from, please let me know so I don't go crazy. It's probably something stupid and obvious. I did a good job bagging most of my hardware, but apparently missed these for whatever reason (assuming they even came off my car).

IMG_1420.jpgIMG_1421.jpg
    Last edited by TostitoBandito; 04-26-2018 at 02:33 AM.
    1999 M3/2/5 - Titanium Silver - Track/Weekend Toy

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Only 3 nuts or bolts left over after all that work? You are doing great! I usually have a coffee can full of unknown parts . . . after a big job. I figure the weight savings is good.

Could the M10 be handbrake double nuts?

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    Heat shield and CSB bracket come to mind.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    Could the M10 be handbrake double nuts?
    The nuts holding the cables to the lever? No, and those are way smaller than M10. They're also installed since the parking brake is all adjusted and works.

Quote Originally Posted by LockDots
    Heat shield and CSB bracket come to mind.
    Good thought. I don't think it's the heat shielding between the drive shaft and the exhaust since I never fully removed it and I replaced the few small hex screws that I did remove. Could potentially be the CSB bracket, I'll check that. RealOEM shows a similar looking nut holding those on. I never removed the CSB, but I may have started to unbolt it prior to changing my mind.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    Nope, not the CSB. I never removed the midpipe (and insulation under it) which completely covers the CSB, so there's no way I could've gotten to it. I can't even see it.

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    Muffler?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    Found them. The M8 nuts were what was on the tops of the old OEM transmission mounts. The realoem diagram looks very similar, and I found one of my old mounts in the trash can that still had that second smaller M8 nut on the stud. I think the M10 nuts were similarly from the tops of the OEM motor mounts, although they don't look exactly like they do on realOEM. It's possible they were replaced at some point in the past, but it makes sense to me that the top nuts on both transmission and motor mounts would be identical except for size (M8 vs M10).