Thread: Reverse Lights Non Operational: Wire hunting

My Cars
    1997 2.8 Z3

Reverse Lights Non Operational: Wire hunting

I recently discovered that my reverse lights haven't been working, who knows how long that's been going on.
    I drive a 97 2.8L Convertible. I've checked the boot and the connections to both lights as well as the cabling going along the boot. Nothing is out of place there.
    I've checked fuse 26 and triple checked it wasn't the problem by switching it with confirmed working fuses as well as using a multimeter to check the connection at the fuse( only place multimeter used ). After searching I found the electrical troubleshooting manual(page 201) and came to the conclusion that it would most likely be a connection somewhere around the shifter. This lead me to take apart the center console, but it seems that I can't even see the wire as it's most likely underneath the carpet somewhere.

What I want to know is if I'm going about this the wrong way, or there's something else I could check as well. Because at this point I'd be removing the seats, the compartment behind the seats and the carpet, to which I don't know if that would even allow me to see the wire connection. This is my first time going after electrical stuff, any help is appreciated.

Side note: My radio was having connection problems as well, but eventually lost connectivity. It got dimmer as time went on to fully cutting out and not being responsive in the slightest. All the connections to the radio when disconnecting it seemed fine, so I'd assume it has a ground problem elsewhere.

My Cars
    01' 2.5i Rdstr'
    Reverse light switch on the transmission. Takes longer to crawl under the car than it does to change it.
    RealOEM.com list refers to it as a "back up light switch"

My Cars
    1997 2.8 Z3
    I got under and checked the switch, it's a bit grimy, but looked fine. The connections seemed fine as well, but I wasn't able to check with a multimeter. Any other ideas as to where it connects/where to look?

My Cars
    1996 Z3 E36(7) M44
    My reverse lights went bad some time ago. It’s not an uncommon wear piece with our cars. I tested mine by replacing it. It is a cheap and easy fix if it’s the switch. They are less than $20
    http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=691691
    Last edited by Bob M; 05-04-2018 at 04:01 AM.

My Cars
    1997 2.8 Z3
    Well that thread is helpful, Thanks! I didn't know the connection piece could be the one that goes out. Guess it makes sense, I'll be sure to check that.