Thread: E38 v8 vibration issue

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740il

E38 v8 vibration issue

Hoping you guys can help. MY e38 v8 runs fine and smooth when driving. However, when I start it up it vibrates. The engine does not sound like it's missing. I'm pretty much mechanical savy and can figure most things out by diagnosis. However, Im stumped. When I put it in reverse it also vibrates. I did not check the engine mounts by taking them out. After inspecting them visually they look fine. I read where other issues can cause this problem like bad CAT or a vacuum leak. Any ideas? I will be reviewing the car more this coming weekend so I can do other checks if you have any suggestions.

Note, the car was smoking on start up and i changed the vacuum pump house and OSV housing was well as vacuum hose running to brake booster. It occasionally smokes on start up, some times not at all. I filled up fuel yesterday and drove off and it hesitated a bit on pull of and smoked white. Not sure if that issue is related. Appreciate any insight.

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    Quote Originally Posted by amarh6455 View Post
    Hoping you guys can help. MY e38 v8 runs fine and smooth when driving. However, when I start it up it vibrates. The engine does not sound like it's missing. I'm pretty much mechanical savy and can figure most things out by diagnosis. However, Im stumped. When I put it in reverse it also vibrates. I did not check the engine mounts by taking them out. After inspecting them visually they look fine. I read where other issues can cause this problem like bad CAT or a vacuum leak. Any ideas? I will be reviewing the car more this coming weekend so I can do other checks if you have any suggestions.

Note, the car was smoking on start up and i changed the vacuum pump house and OSV housing was well as vacuum hose running to brake booster. It occasionally smokes on start up, some times not at all. I filled up fuel yesterday and drove off and it hesitated a bit on pull of and smoked white. Not sure if that issue is related. Appreciate any insight.
    Transmission or engine mounts if engine otherwise runs fine. But I would guess it's more of an engine issue, this is my thread about similar issue:
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...mission-mounts
    In my case it was eventually the timing chain & guides causing rough running causing vibration. (I assume that you changed the CCV not the OSV)
    If you could hook up a notebook with INPA and see roughness that would help a lot.
    Last edited by georgebest; 04-25-2018 at 07:49 PM.

My Cars
    99 840ci Sport Indv
    Yes, much more informative to use diagnostics:

http://www.meeknet.co.uk/E38/Diagnostics.htm
    Timm..2007 E64 650i Individual Sport..1999 E31 840ci Individual Sport..ex owner of 2000 E38 740..1999 E38 740i V8 M62..1998 E38 735i V8..1993 E32 730i V8..1988 E28 518i

My BMW Repair YouTube Channel
    My Current 840ci Sport Individual
    My Current 650ci Sport Individual
    My E31 Repair and Information Website
    My E38 Repair and Information Website
    My E63/E64 Repair and Information Website

Chase - Heroes to a generation