Autogeek.net Car Care Products
** 10% off @ Autogeek.net - PinnacleWax.com & Wolfgangcarcare.com - Coupon Code = clubmember

Thread: Help! My seat leather is too tight. Leather Stretcher?

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328i, ChevyVolt

Help! My seat leather is too tight. Leather Stretcher?

Hi Guys. About 6 months ago, I had a problem with the seat-belt warning coming on for the front passenger seat. This is when nobody is in the seat. Took it to the dealer a few times and they made adjustments but the warning always came back. Finally, the dealer said that sometimes the seat leather gets too tight and triggers the sensor, even with nothing on the seat. He asked if I ever conditioned the leather. I said no (didn't even know you were supposed to). Long story short, they replaced the entire seat leather for free. That fixed the problem… until now! The dreaded warning is back. It's probably a combination of California sun hitting the seats and the fact that I'm the only one in the car, so the leather never gets stretched. So now I'm thinking of a solution.

What if i got some leather conditioner (which ever one makes the softest leather) and put a lot of it on the seat? Then, I could put some fairly heavy weight on the seat overnight to help stretch out the leather. What do you guys think? Am I crazy?
    Last edited by Oil Can; 04-25-2018 at 07:22 PM.

My Cars
    03 zhp, 97 e36m3, 04 zhp
    While you can apply various softening products, they will always sit on the top painted surface of the leather and will never hydrate the leather underneath. A much better solution * would have been * regular use of leather conditioner with UV protectiants and /or using sun shade on the windshield to protect from direct UV damage.

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328i, ChevyVolt
    Okay thanks. I will use some conditioner, but the leather is only 6 months old!

My Cars
    03 zhp, 97 e36m3, 04 zhp
    I honestly think the real root cause is somewhere else, specifically either in the receptacle itself or in the wiring to the buckle and your dealer can't troubleshoot it correctly. Seat leather has little to do with seat belt receptacle and I believe seat occupancy mat is under main foam parts of the seat, not on top.
    Last edited by Mless5; 04-27-2018 at 03:09 PM.

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328i, ChevyVolt
    Quote Originally Posted by Mless5 View Post
    I honestly think the real root cause is somewhere else, specifically either in the receptacle itself or in the wiring to the buckle and your dealer can't troubleshoot it correctly. Seat leather has little to do with seat belt receptacle and I believe seat occupancy mat is under main foam parts of the seat, not on top.
    Thanks Mless5! I understand the receptacle but would you please clarify where the "main foam parts" of the seat are?

My Cars
    03 zhp, 97 e36m3, 04 zhp
    By main foam piece I mean the piece you actually sit on that is covered in leather:

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-1...uine-bmw-part/

Those foam cushions in turn attach to plastic bucket of the seat itself:

https://hermesautoparts.com/autopart...328Ci_330Ci_M3

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by Mless5 View Post
    Incorrect. The seat occupancy detector sits on top of the foam, between the foam and leather.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician