Thread: CT: New E38 owner

My Cars
    1995 740i

CT: New E38 owner

Well apparently I'm a long time lurker on this forum, making an official first post.

My background is being a 12 year running subaru owner/enthusiast (sorry). I still have a couple now in project modes. For a long time I was a 4 cylinder turbo type of guy.

My join date is 2012 when I had first acquired a $400 91 E30 slicktop that ended up needing a head that over a period of time I resurrected, and then sold when we found out we had a little one on the way. In 2014 I ended up grabbing a 98 E39 540i Msport. I absolutely loved the car, and she treated me extremely well. Outside of the normal suspension stuff and RR window regulator being replaced over time, it was a worry free ownership experience. I also enjoyed her since I have a long commute, and as boring as a highway can be, it was always more enjoyable in my BMW. Well last year, adulting got the best of me and I said "hey, you need a fuel efficient vehicle!". I then sold my E39 to a very eager fellow and within two days had purchased a 04.5 GLI and 99 B5 avant; I still had the same number of cylinders in my head. Lets just start off by saying that I now despise MKIVs and generally VWs in general unless they're air cooled. In a year of ownership I spent more time under the hood and more money than I did in 3 years with my E39. Anyhow, I still own both those cars but decided I needed another BMW V8 powered vehicle in my life and decided to go after the other chassis I've always drooled over, the E38.

I'm not scared of working on cars, but I wanted something with good "bones". I spent a couple weeks watching craigslist and finally found some specimens I thought were of value to look at. The first two within a 80 mile radius were duds. Then, I found one located in NY about 3 hours away that looked pretty good. Owner wasn't a dribbling idiot, but also not really an enthusiast. He took photos of everything I wanted to see. I began negotiations sight-unseen as I wanted to know what kind of wiggle room I had. So, last Friday I left work early, hit the bank, met up with my buddy, and trekked 3 hours to Pine Island NY.

Test drove the car after talking to the owner, and picked up on a few things right away that would need to be addressed, but didn't deter me from final purchase. So, I'm now the owner of a 95 740i with 130K in Schwartz with tan interior. 3 functioning fob keys, owners manual, original window sticker, complete tool kit, complete first aid kit, ski boot intact. I'm not yet driving the car, but would like to start within the next week or so. All in all, not a terrible list for a $900 dollar running/driving 740i with no rust or severe body/mechanical issues! Gave the interior a good cleaning and began 2 stage paint correction efforts . For the most part the car will clean up very nicely.

Things that need(ed) to be addressed:
    • Tires weren't spent but dangerously dry rotted
      • Picked up a set of style 220s with tires last night to throw on just to roll around for time being. Even if they look goofy it's still better than the stock 16" BBS caster wheels

• Typical 90s BMW forever spinning ignition
      • Ordered replacement from dealer yesterday

• Car darts around when hitting any type of bump at speed, and has "the wobble"
      • Need to get under it and see what if not all of suspension and steering link/rods need to be changed
      • Deffinitely needs struts. Debating if going new struts/shocks with drop springs or coilovers

• Power/telescoping wheel lever broken
    • Rear headliner sag

I apologize for such a long-winded introductory post. Looking forward to absorb some knowledge and share some frustration with fellow owners and enthusiasts of the E38 chassis.

Cheers.

My Cars
    2001 750il Chrome line
    Welcome to the fold. You will curse the car while working on it but will be richly rewarded for your efforts. There is no finer driving car on the road.
    Read through Timm's common problems and fixes. I followed his shimmy guide to the letter and just killed my shimmy.

My Cars
    BMW
    Hello CT member! I am from Newington.

If you ever need help with 7 series work, let me know! I know suspension issues pretty well since E39 and E38 share almost the same design. The wobble you are experiencing are most likely points to control arms bushings worn out/ball joints. I replaced just about everything on front end on my 7 series and it tightened up really well. Only thing I did not do is front struts (makes noise over bumps). I plan on getting struts/shocks with lowering springs to retain that 7 series luxury ride.

You will keep finding little issues and so on but at the end, you will be happy driving with no problems.
    Current
    '03 BMW 330i ZHP alpine white on tan interior (daily)
    '01 BMW 740iL Anthracite metallic on black interior (project)
    '03 BMW 530i automatic (california car) (summer car)
    and few others

Sold
    '03 BMW 330xi
    2001 BMW M5
    2000 BMW M5
    2000 BMW M5
    1998 BMW M3/4/5 S/C'ed
    2002 BMW M3 SMG
    2002 BMW 330ci
    2002 BMW 525i 5 speed
    and list goes on

My Cars
    1995 Dinan 740il
    Sounds like the short version of mine plus a ski bag. They're great cars.

Mine came with a neat row of staples holding up the rear headliner. I never sit in back (and you can't really see it anyway when in back) so I have never bothered to replace the headliner.

If and when when you want to play with INPA (see Timm's web site, we (1995) don't have the smoothness/harshness screen) you probably will need an ADS plug (like this on eBay Tiny ADS Interface with diagnostic connector for BMW - INPA/DIS/EDIABAS) and laptop with a real serial port. Although you can get started with a regular 20 pin to USB adapter.

Grady

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740iL
    Welcome to the madness!!! I'd say $900 was a heck of a deal! I don't care much what you've got, if you can drive it 3 hours back home it's a good deal for that money. I lucked out and my suspension is either amazingly resilient or has already been addressed by a previous owner. Since it's not shown a single suspension problem, I've not even looked at it yet to figure out which it is. I also lucked out that mine came with brand new shoes, abet cheap Goodyear Vista 3's. I had/have engine and smoking issues, but I got most of that addressed now. You seem to already know this, but you've come the the right place. It's due to these guys that I've been able to get so much done so quickly with mine.

What's a forever spinning ignition? That's a new one to me.

I also (and everyone else it seems) have the sagging rear head liner. I also think mine either had a sunroof leak, or someone left it open often. I've got that yellow glue all over mine around the alarm motion detector cover and head liner. I was told there's a guy around here who will do them for $180, and thinking of having it done just to not have to bother with it myself.

Anyways, welcome and keep us posted on your progress!!!! I've owned many types/makes/kinds of cars. Once you get that suspension dialed in, you'll find you've lucked into what it truly The Ultimate Driving Machine.... I whole heatedly think they had the E38 in mind when they come up with that slogan. Even if they didn't know it yet.
    Last edited by 951Dreams; 04-26-2018 at 05:42 AM.
    2001 740iL "Silver Beauty"
    1986 Porsche 951 "Silver Bullet"
    1987 Porsche 944 NA Auto (rebuilding for my son's first car)
    https://home.doonze.net/filepage.php <- BMW/Porsche doc's and files, work in progress

My Cars
    1995 740i
    Thanks for the welcomes everyone.

Got my butt down to the car last night (temp storage at a friends large farm) to test fit the M3 wheels. I mathed pretty bad and mucked up the tire size. Thought the ones that were coming on the wheels would be the same aspect ratio.... nope, haha. The rears fit with ease but somehow look small due to the lacking in the tire sidewall department. Fronts as you would expect don't clear the strut, so, spacers are required. The rear wheels do NOT look all that bad with the dish, but the fronts I can already tell will look terrible. On the fence of just selling and getting another set of wheels or purchasing two more rears and do a square setup.

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    Welcome! I just moved from CT to FL last year. Don't miss that one bit. I'd say sell the wheels and pick up another set with the right offset and tire size. BMW wheels are a dime a dozen out there. I just sold a set of 5-series wheels with snow tires and I had to practically give them away. You can find a great deal with a little time. You will end up spending way more on the ones you have with so-so results.
    '98 740il | 9/97 build | schwarz 2 | sandbeige | 5AT | 270k
    '04 330i ZHP sedan | Mystic blue | Alcantara | 6MT | 120k
    '00 540i sport | Titanium silver | Black | 5AT | 152k
    '85 Mustang GT convertible | Medium charcoal metallic | Gray | 5MT | 216k | one owner, all original

mods: m-pars | Bilsteins & B&G springs | ValentineOne | StealthOne
    retrofits: full nav | MKIV | bluetooth TCU | BM53 w/ AUX input | video module w/ AV input & backup cam | oem sirius xm | xenon | shades | PDC | rain sensor | BMW DWS TPMS | lighted door handles | front seat heaters | heated steering wheel | euro rear fog lights | ski pass | folding mirrors

My Cars
    1995 740i
    Figured it was time to come by and give a quick update.

So car has been on the road for the past three weeks. Got spacers to sort out my M3 wheel fitment, and got new ignition tumbler from BMW. Turns out I need a new ignition housing as well, but I have it put together for right now until I get around to that.

New issues that have popped up:

• At first fillup I realized car fills kind of slow and keeps clicking the nozzle off. Used this lovely forum to discover I have the imploded tank syndrome and appears I'll need to put a canister and vent in the car
    • Lost speedo and have ABS light on.
      • Suspect lost left rear wheel speed sensor. Hoping it's that and not the ABS module

• Radio stopped working (non DSP). Searched the forum and found the common issues and checked all of them. Nothing to show for my efforts yet.
      • Does the entire sound system have to be diagnosed before deciding to just go to an aftermarket unit?

Haven't made much other progress yet but it'll all get handled in due time as long as the laundry list doesn't continue to grow out of control during shakedown.

This is the first automatic car I've ever owned. Also the first "luxury" car I've owned and it's incredible. At the same time kind of dangerous. I looked down the other day and was traveling at 92mph and felt like I was riding on a cloud.

My Cars
    E38
    I'm moving to CT in the next couple weeks, so yay! Connecticut Squad.

Congrats on the new car
    E38 M Sport 6 Speed MANUAL

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    Quote Originally Posted by shanecarmaster1 View Post
    I'm moving to CT in the next couple weeks, so yay! Connecticut Squad.
    My condolences

There was no state I wanted to leave more than CT. Talk about high cost of living.
    '98 740il | 9/97 build | schwarz 2 | sandbeige | 5AT | 270k
    '04 330i ZHP sedan | Mystic blue | Alcantara | 6MT | 120k
    '00 540i sport | Titanium silver | Black | 5AT | 152k
    '85 Mustang GT convertible | Medium charcoal metallic | Gray | 5MT | 216k | one owner, all original

mods: m-pars | Bilsteins & B&G springs | ValentineOne | StealthOne
    retrofits: full nav | MKIV | bluetooth TCU | BM53 w/ AUX input | video module w/ AV input & backup cam | oem sirius xm | xenon | shades | PDC | rain sensor | BMW DWS TPMS | lighted door handles | front seat heaters | heated steering wheel | euro rear fog lights | ski pass | folding mirrors

My Cars
    E46 M3 conv, E30 325iS, E39 M5
    May I be the usual pain in the neck and suggest going back to E38 size wheels as soon as is practical? It makes a fair amount of difference, so do offsets.

Oh and. 'Now everything is fixed, the car will just need oil changes' is something that no E38 owner has ever said after 2010. Welcome to the madhouse.

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    Quote Originally Posted by nmlss2006 View Post
    Oh and. 'Now everything is fixed, the car will just need oil changes' is something that no E38 owner has ever said after 2010. Welcome to the madhouse.
    LOL, so true! With the exception of my E38 of course