Thread: E34 vexing issue starts one time, then won't crank

My Cars
    E34 525i, E36 318ti

E34 vexing issue starts one time, then won't crank

I am wondering if anyone can help me with a vexing issue I have, I have searched the forums a bunch but not found anything with the exact symptoms and tried a few fixes to no avail...

Short version of the issue
    : after disconnecting and reconnecting the battery the car will start and run fine once and only once. After one shut down - when I turn the key, it does not crank at all. All lights come on as normal, fuel pump primes, but turning the key does not crank. Have done this three times and it is exactly the same each time.

Long version of the issue: Due to a mechanical issue I did not use this car for a few months, the battery drained to near dead but not entirely dead. I charged it up yesterday, and the car started displaying this non cranking behavior. All dash lights and everything come on fine, but the car will not crank when the key is turned. I disconnected and reconnected the battery and the car fired right up, went for a drive and returned; thought I was done. This morning, I go to start the car again and same thing happens, will not crank. I disconnect and reconnect the battery, and it then starts again once but after I shut down one again will not crank. Tried to replicate once more, same issue - starts once and only once after battery reconnect...

Complicating factor: This car has a factory alpine alarm system (the one with the style fob pictured below). It has for years not worked (I get three chirps when I press the fob). But I always just used the key in the door and the car worked fine. I still get three chirps now, there is nothing discernibly different...but I can't help but suspect this might have something to do with the issue?

My keys are not the chipped type, so I don't think that is the issue. Anyway, curious if anyone has any ideas? Thanks

d1443e14-9c00-4cab-8499-6c0f21bc559e2.jpg

My Cars
    1991 BMW 525i
    Sticking starter relay?
    Neutral safety switch going bad?

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Some more information about your car would be helpful. year, model, etc
    I see an aftermarket remote fob. My first suspicion involves that. Most of them are crap devices installed by Neanderthals. I fix those with removal and disposal.
    Last edited by ross1; 04-25-2018 at 09:17 AM.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    09/90 E34 525i (M50)
    While I have no problem with my aftermarket system, I would be suspect of yours because it doesn't work.
    I have to reprogram mine every time the battery has been disconnected, if yours is busted it can't be reprogammed can it? So in your case I agree, rip out the system if it isn't working.

E: If you get three chirps when pressing the fob button then it isn't dead (receiver or transmitter), maybe search for the reprogramming proceedure and see if it works? Usually is just put the ignition on and press the button; but for yours it looks crazy - have to find the main controller and hold buttons down, or hold brake and flick key on/off and other ridiculous things it seems after a quick google).
    Last edited by fo3; 04-26-2018 at 02:08 AM.

My Cars
    various
    Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    I see an aftermarket remote fob. My first suspicion involves that. Most of them are crap devices installed by Neanderthals. I fix those with removal and disposal.
    This! Every time I see one of these systems I rip it out. Unnecessary for most vehicles and rarely installed professionally.

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T

My Cars
    09/90 E34 525i (M50)
    Do you guys have the factory remote system working or do without?
    The aussie systems are normally pretty good, and by my state law you need some type of anti-theft immobilizer (since ~1997 you can't sell a car without one, even old s/h cars and you may as well get one with key less entry)