Thread: TV in 2018 (BM24)

My Cars
    BMW E39 528i Touring

TV in 2018 (BM24)

Hello folks!

So as some of you know, there is a ''TV'' mode/option in the screen in the BM24 option. Since Denmark has completely transfered from Analog to Digital, I am now wondering, is there any methods of updating this function, to work with Digital signals, or just work in general? I.e. IPTV, and the alike.

I fully understand that this may require modifications.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540i 6 speed
    Not unless you can find a 12V converter that will take the digital TV signal and convert it to an analog one to feed the TV.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi,

You can either;

1. Find a OEM BMW Hybrid Analogue/Digital TV module and swap that in. It's a simple case of removing the old analogue unit and plugging in the newer unit. Typically, these units came on later E46 and E53 BMW's, so you'll need to check ebay, forum for sale listings, any local buy/sell websites, and local/national breakers yards. Over the last 2/3 years, these have come down in asking price from around £5/600 to around the £200-250 level nowadays. You'll need to double check for part and revision numbers for ones that work in Denmark due to the broadcast TV standard's differences around different European countries.

2. Have your analogue TV tuner module modified by Carphonics - http://www.carphonics.co.uk/bmw.htm. I know the owner well and always recommend him when I see posts where owners wish to keep the OEM audio modules. Whilst you are sending him that module, you might as well send in your other modules and have them upgraded/refurbished - just be ready with your wallet!

Cheers, Dennis!

My Cars
    BMW E39 528i Touring
    Quote Originally Posted by DennisCooper View Post
    Hi,

You can either;

1. Find a OEM BMW Hybrid Analogue/Digital TV module and swap that in. It's a simple case of removing the old analogue unit and plugging in the newer unit. Typically, these units came on later E46 and E53 BMW's, so you'll need to check ebay, forum for sale listings, any local buy/sell websites, and local/national breakers yards. Over the last 2/3 years, these have come down in asking price from around £5/600 to around the £200-250 level nowadays. You'll need to double check for part and revision numbers for ones that work in Denmark due to the broadcast TV standard's differences around different European countries.

2. Have your analogue TV tuner module modified by Carphonics - http://www.carphonics.co.uk/bmw.htm. I know the owner well and always recommend him when I see posts where owners wish to keep the OEM audio modules. Whilst you are sending him that module, you might as well send in your other modules and have them upgraded/refurbished - just be ready with your wallet!

Cheers, Dennis!
    Thanks, i'd love to have TV in the car, but its also a matter of does it make any sense at all price wise. But none the less, it would be a very cool addition to the vehicle. So the newer E46's & E53's had digital & analog tv modules?

Do you know, if you are able to recieve/access encrypted channels? (I am paying for those, and I have access to IPTV, but would love it in the car too). The current IPTV app, i have is able to be chromecasted, dunno if that could help on a modifcation level, to make it possible.
    Last edited by Chivster; 04-24-2018 at 04:32 PM.

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi Chivster,

Some owners simply *must* maintain the original functionality of the car and it's various systems including the multimedia setup. This is fine of course, but keep in mind it's expensive in the long term as due to age the modules fail, given there's multiple points of failure in each module, be prepared to have your wallet truly bashed! Even at £200-250 or so, getting the OEM Hybrid TV module is relatively expensive especially once you add it into the cost of keeping it all going, some years ago they changed hands for £600+! The later E46's and E53's indeed did have these Hybrid units, so it's a case of searching them out - check the E46/E53 sections and then the classifieds for when they come up.

I have no idea about encrypted channels, I'm swaying towards no, and it's only the Free to Air digital channels that can be displayed, you'll need to research more here.

My preference is for high quality aftermarket audio products from the well established and reputable brands - my car contains zero oem audio parts. If you really need to keep the OEM modules, then do search here as well as local/Euro forums where you'll get a better chance of getting information directly suitable for you including the various mods you can do to get such projects like the Pi Bus where a Raspberry Pi can be used to 'inject' it's video and audio to the OEM setup etc.

Cheers, Dennis!

My Cars
    BMW E39 528i Touring
    Thanks for the info. Im just wondering if it would be a ''simpler'' approach to getting injected the encrypted channels, by getting a feed for the Chromecast, i.e. attaching a permanent chromecast device inside of the vehicle, along with a hot spot, so you can actually access the Chromecast. As the app, i am currently using has the ability to be chromecasted.

This approach is basically (in my opinion) a similar approach to the AUX.

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Having a router and chromecast hidden in the car is cool idea, but if you're talking integrating to factory infotainment stuff, not sure how you're going to get the chromecast HDMI -> analog input. Seems like just getting a new aftermarket infotainment system would be a lot easier.

This might be of interest to you though. This does show some approaches for digital TV modding the factory system (click on the Digital TV button not the Media Server option). Still would need more to add the HDMI input, but, perhaps with some RPi hacking and development...
    http://pibus.info/index.html
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    BMW E39 528i Touring
    I fully understand that there may be aftermarket systems, that would be able to do this, but i'd rather stay original (due to the looks and the original feel overall), if i can
    I just reckon that the Chromecast solution, would be the better one, as that one would allow me to do anything I want from YouTube, Netflix to using the IPTV App that my ISP provides, so I can watch paid TV channels.

Do you know if the original BM24 screen has some sort of video input, that you can inject into it ?

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi Chivster,

I understand that you wish to keep the OEM setup, many owners want/wish the same. In short, this is the most expensive route to take longer term as more and more of the modules will fail and you'll need to keep spending significant amounts each time. The next layer of complexity will be doing what you want to 'add on' to the OEM setup. The Pi-Bus project is the way you'll need to go I suspect. Have a search around the forums for the threads where owners have gone this route. The BM24 is the amplifier module, the 'monitor' is just a monitor and has specific connections within the oem loom that plug into the back of it. There's no processing within the monitor unit, so no, it doesn't have a video input directly.

The oem multimedia/GPS/Monitor setup you have can have an external source to 'input' video and audio into the setup. The downsides are that the resolution isn't great and the audio is mono only, most owners did this project in order to add a reverse camera which by nature doesn't need audio and doesn't need higher resolution.

Many of those Pi-Bus projects are where the monitor is modified with a new TFT panel, which is also touchscreen. That then is connected to a Raspberry Pi (or a Car PC if you go that route) and then touchscreen is used to control everything. If you wish to 'integrate' the oem buttons etc, it can be done at extra complexity and of course cost levels.

I'm not up to speed as to which Cellular networks you have in Denmark, I'm 95% sure you do have 4G connectivity though. Maintaining a good signal whilst driving and at all speeds - local/walk pace to inter city/highway speeds will define how 'well' you'll get to see those channels. I'd daresay it'd be ok sometimes and not very good other times. Live TV/streaming video is a feature you'd have better performance for when parked stationary and in a good signal area along with having to have an excellent data plan on your mobile phone as it'll eat up your allowance quickly. If you can be parked and have a good nearby Wi-Fi signal, that might help but usually, public hotspots aren't so great for data throughput and also may well be 'locked' from streaming larger amounts of data.

Once in a few years, 5G networks become the norm and personal monthly plans/tariffs with large amounts of bundled 'data' and ideally 'unlimited', then this aspect will become more viable. You'll still be left with the relative larger costs for 'adding onto' the OEM setup which by current standards isn't very good now.

Cheers, Dennis!

My Cars
    BMW E39 528i Touring
    Thanks for the reply Dennis.
    My car is from 09/1997 by the way, and i am wondering which route would you personally take, if you were to do an OEM look install, with the Chromecast? I want it to look authentic, as i simply prefer modest modifications, that look as if it came with the car originally.

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi Chivster,

I'll drop you a PM soon

Cheers, Dennis!

My Cars
    BMW E39 528i Touring
    Quote Originally Posted by DennisCooper View Post
    Hi Chivster,

I'll drop you a PM soon

Cheers, Dennis!
    Thanks mate!