Thread: 1999 323i Battery Light/Temp Gauge Rise

My Cars
    1999 323i

1999 323i Battery Light/Temp Gauge Rise

Hey guys, in need of some help. Firstly, I’ve already had belts/pulleys done.. So the red battery light came/stayed on the other day after starting my car, after about 20 minutes of driving, my temp gauge started to quickly rise to red, as I was about to pull over the temp went back down to middle so I decided to keep driving, the temp stayed centered for the rest of my 20 mile drive but battery light stayed on. (Prior couple of days the car has been oddly idling in drive when at a stop, it drops to 400-500 every couple seconds as if it’s about to die, if that has anything to do with it.)

Then this morning I started it up, no battery light, so I decided to take it out and see what happens. After about 3-5 miles down the road, the battery ended up popping on. I turned around and kept an eye on the temperature gauge, twice the gauge began to rise to red but then suddenly went back to center.

Any ideas guys? Alternator? Water pump? Both? Lol. Much appreciated guys, thanks. The car has other issues as well so I’m really not sure what to think.

My Cars
    several
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerJakee View Post
    Hey guys, in need of some help. Firstly, I’ve already had belts/pulleys done.. So the red battery light came/stayed on the other day after starting my car, after about 20 minutes of driving, my temp gauge started to quickly rise to red, as I was about to pull over the temp went back down to middle so I decided to keep driving, the temp stayed centered for the rest of my 20 mile drive but battery light stayed on. (Prior couple of days the car has been oddly idling in drive when at a stop, it drops to 400-500 every couple seconds as if it’s about to die, if that has anything to do with it.)

Then this morning I started it up, no battery light, so I decided to take it out and see what happens. After about 3-5 miles down the road, the battery ended up popping on. I turned around and kept an eye on the temperature gauge, twice the gauge began to rise to red but then suddenly went back to center.

Any ideas guys? Alternator? Water pump? Both? Lol. Much appreciated guys, thanks. The car has other issues as well so I’m really not sure what to think.
    Sounds like it could be alternator going out and the car running off of the battery some. I have had GMs do this and the battery ends up having to be changed shortly after the alternator due to the battery wearing out from being strained. The overheating part, maybe bleed the system and be sure you have enough coolant.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Jeremy
    2000 323Ci Titansilber Metallic cabriolet