Thread: Documenting 100% Rod Bearing Replacement **3 Video Episodes**

My Cars
    e30

Documenting 100% Rod Bearing Replacement **3 Video Episodes**

Hey guys. I used to post here when I had my E30 when I was like, 17, haha. Now back here and there when I get a chance to post about my E90 project I picked up while back. I've been waiting so long to make this thread, it's so rad to finally type this.

I was SUPER lost about why in all my comment sections people were freaking out about the fact that I haven't done my "rod bearings" yet... So I go on YouTube and search over and over... I found a few decent videos, but nothing that REALLY shows and explains WHY these cars have this issue, why 2011's are aluminum over copper in 2008... why you do this, why you do that, etc.

I teamed up with SSR Performance in Orange County to have them to my rod bearing service. I know the owner, Shah, can jump in and help with any questions because I'm VERY new to the engines in these cars.

I have been talking to VFEngineering about doing their super charger, but they said they didn't recommend it before I had done the rod bearing service. So now that it's complete, it's time for a SC very soon on top of a few other things. ANYWAYS.

Here's the three videos. The first video shows the car being taken apart, talking about the shop, basic stuff, showing and explaining what we're doing.

The second video shows the results of the rod bearings and then putting the new ones in.

The third video is the podcast/interview with the shop owner and the main tech there who understands everything from what I can see. They explain the details of why/what/who/where rod bearings.

I hope that THIS helps ANYBODY who wants SUPER detailed stuff about rod bearings. This is why I did this, to help anybody who needed literally every detail with a good camera, good format and just executed all together.

Enjoy!

Here's all the photos that I took on my iPhone just for fun to document. I post a lot on my Instagram as well.

www.instagram.com/spencerberke
    www.instagram.com/spencerberkegarage
    www.instagram.com/berkemarketing

Here's a batch of photos from the day as well.

And that's it! The car actually feels very different. It idles better, the car drives stronger, it sounds better... louder, deeper. It's crazy. I had done transmission fluids, diff fluid, all new oil, rod bearings, and motor mounts. VERY happy. I have to say... the team at SSR Performance did an insane job. The team, the experience, all of it was just perfect. I had so much fun.

I hope this helps anybody out there in any kind of way!!!!

Thanks for checking out my thread.

-Spencer Berke
    See ya
    Last edited by Suspence; 04-23-2018 at 08:21 PM.
    1988 E30 - 2002 Lexus IS300 - 2010 Subaru STi Hatchback - 2008 Audi A4 S-Line

My Cars
    e30
    If anybody is interested, here's all the pics on my flickr - www.flickr.com/spencerberke

And the videos were filmed on a Canon 80D and 70D with wide angle lenses/Rode Mic.

1988 E30 - 2002 Lexus IS300 - 2010 Subaru STi Hatchback - 2008 Audi A4 S-Line

My Cars
    z3
    I haven't worked on an E90/E92 but on the cars I have done rod bearings on, I did the same procedure, but actually find it easier to drop the full suspension/front subframe instead of just the subframe crossmember. Less bolts to remove and no effect on alignment.

Nice video though, thank you for sharing

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!