Thread: Mobility Kit Electrical Questions

My Cars
    2001 Z3 3.0 Roadster

Mobility Kit Electrical Questions

So after much discussion hereabouts regarding spare tyres, I still need a replacement for my Continental Comfort kit which is much the same as the BMW Mobility kit. The Continental kit & the sealant is NLA. The newer version of the BMW kit has a separate bottle of sealant so my first thought is whether this sealant will work with the other kit. No idea without trying it so has anyone tried such?
    Next up is a question which pertains to the BMW kit itself. As this is meant for use with a newer generation of BMW products, is the power plug designed to fit into a cigarette lighter outlet as found in the console of the Z3? Many newer vehicles have accessory ports which I suppose are intended to power items such as the mobility kit. IF the mobility kit has a plug which will fit the lighter outlet, is the outlet in the Z3 wired & fused adequately to handle the draw of the mobility kit? As the Z3 has the battery conveniently located in the boot, does anyone know of an adaptor that will allow the mobility power plug to be converted to two alligator clips for attachment to the battery? TIA!

My Cars
    MRster / Z4 M4i / X5 M50
    I believe all of the "cigarette lighter" outlets have the same specs. I carry a small battery operated air pump and a plug kit. Removed the old stock air pump and sealant. In 20 years I never used it and have not yet had a flat in my M Roadster. Did I just jinks myself?

Well if I did, I'm ready for it.
    Last edited by khammack; 09-11-2022 at 08:55 PM.
    2002 M Roadster, Steel Gray Metailic, Gray Nappa Leather, Black Soft Top, Steel Gray Metailic Hard Top, TC Kline Double Adj Shocks with H&R Springs, Stromung Exhaust, SSR Type C Wheels. Looking for a new home.

2022 Z4 M40i, Misano Blue Metallic, Prem Pkg, Driver Assistance Pkg

2023 X5 M50, Phytonic Blue, Black Extended Merion Leather, Driving Asst Pro Pkg, Park Asst Pkg, Exec Pkg, Climate Comfort Pkg.

My Cars
    2000 m roadster 2010 x3
    My electric filet knife came with a adapter that converts the lighter plug to alligator clips. I’m sure you could find the adapter online somewhere by itself. The cigarette lighter or aux power ports should have plenty of amperage to handle the pump. Fitting a sealant bottle is another question. I haven’t looked how the can connects to the pump.

My Cars
    1998 S50 ACS M COUPE
    I have the later BMW mobility kit and it comes with a long power lead with the cigarette lighter fitting plenty long enough so much easier than connecting to the battery itself. The fluid is separate so can be replaced and does have a use by date and isnt cheap.

My Cars
    2001 Z3 3.0 Roadster
    @khammack I hope not! This is the crazy thing about the preventative machinations regarding the possibility of a tyre failure. Not likely to happen for certain but there is that remote possibility it could hence I muddle forth.
    @UK MCOUPE, thank you for the comment. The kit you have is the one I am considering to replace the Continental Comfort Kit. The latest style with the replaceable sealant is the one to have. Sealant has a shelf life.
    As to the sealant & an answer to my opening question, the first step will be to order the Mobility kit & then see if the connection for the sealant is the same as what is supplied with the other kit. If so a win win because I can order another can of sealant & keep the kit in my daily driver. Progress!