Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I read sooo many posts.... but what’s the real deal?

My Cars
    Too many to list.

I read sooo many posts.... but what’s the real deal?

I searched and read so many posts on exhausts for the m70, and none of them truly delivered a straight answer.

Taylor’s car sounded epic, but I don’t think my wallet can support a $3000 exhaust build..

So I’m on the epic hunt for a drone free, not super raspy like some shit Honda, exhaust that lets the v12 sing. And I can’t tell what sounds good on YouTube outside of a m72 and some riced out automatic e31s..

Can someone please shed a little light on this? No drone, no rasp. Symphony under
    Load.

Thanks everyone. I want to get this right at jump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1991 850i S70 6 speed
    Magna flows and x pipe and be done with it. Or gut your own oem exhaust scans and you will have Dinan “free flow exhaust”

I have s70 car with supersprints and supersprint x pipes and sounds ok at higher rpms.

Down pipes make a huge different on sounds.

alex

Quote Originally Posted by nah2323 View Post
    I searched and read so many posts on exhausts for the m70, and none of them truly delivered a straight answer.

Taylor’s car sounded epic, but I don’t think my wallet can support a $3000 exhaust build..

So I’m on the epic hunt for a drone free, not super raspy like some shit Honda, exhaust that lets the v12 sing. And I can’t tell what sounds good on YouTube outside of a m72 and some riced out automatic e31s..

Can someone please shed a little light on this? No drone, no rasp. Symphony under
    Load.

Thanks everyone. I want to get this right at jump.

Last edited by alex840; 04-22-2018 at 11:32 PM.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i6
    The V12 always sounds like crap, not much you can do about it.

My Cars
    E31 4.4, E66 V12, E70 TT
    Quote Originally Posted by killian665 View Post
    The V12 always sounds like crap, not much you can do about it.
    This. I have a Hamann exhaust system in my 850ci/6 which sounds quite nice, not too loud or raspy and has the distinctive V12 tone to it. But compared to my 840 with a gutted OEM muffler with through piped, there is no competition
    1994 E31 840CI "Sport" 4.4 - Hellrot Red - Black Nappa Leather - Every Option available - OEM 65M Wheels, EDC delete/Bilstein, M60-M62 engine transplant, updated software, CSI Steering box & AHK, Full AC Schnitzer kit, Wood Trim, Front Plate Delete, Xenons + LEDs, Tints, Black Ind. headliner, BREMBO BBK, Hamann Exhaust, Custom aluminium throttle bushings, KAW springs, Strong Strut, Greg K GenII sway bars, Camber Plates, Stut tower reinforcements, X-Brace, Wokke chips, Wokke Sphericals, PM Steer Plates, H&R Spacers, Pioneer AVIC-F60DAB + more.

1994 E34 530i
    - Calypsorot + Many mods

2008 E66 760LI V12 - Every Option Available + Full Individual Composition

2015 F02 750LI Xdrive - Every Option Available + Full Individual Composition

2013 E70 40d TT - Full BMW Performance Kit

2016 F06 M6 Gran Coupe Individual

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i6
    Yeah I’ve got an Eisensmann on my 840 and it sounds amazing. I’ve heard 850s with the same system. Sound like a 6 cylinder.

My Cars
    Too many to list.
    I just can't imagine a v12 car, that should be entirely quiet, let alone a coupe. Sure, the 750il is a luxobarge, and that should be quiet while you're chauffeured around in it. Coupe is more of a drivers car, and who wouldn't want a little bit of v12 sound? I know it's a not a ferrari, and I know it's not an aston.. But it is a drivers car.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i6
    Because it’s 2 little turdy M20s stuck together with baby cams and the compression of an 80s Buick lesabre. That engine will never sound good without some internal changes, doesn’t matter what you spend on the exhaust.

My Cars
    Too many to list.
    Because it’s 2 little turdy M20s stuck together with baby cams and the compression of an 80s Buick lesabre. That engine will never sound good without some internal changes, doesn’t matter what you spend on the exhaust.
    Jeez, that’s kinda sour.. I mean I get it. It’s not a Ferrari. But it’s still cooler than a v8

My Cars
    93 850Ci, 09 Caddy SRX
    It’s not a Ferrari. But it’s still cooler than a v8

Now you've done it!
    1993 850Ci.....18 years & 165,000 miles and counting!

My Cars
    1992 E31 850i
    For those who wonder why the "four short" jokes persist, I offer you Exhibit A.

Cheers, John

My Cars
    Too many to list.
    Is that faux pas?? I mean I wouldn't have bought it if it was a V8. Maybe that's just me, but it loses it's cool factor for me with a V8. I'd rather have a corvette at that point.

My Cars
    E31 4.4, E66 V12, E70 TT
    Is that faux pas?? I mean I wouldn't have bought it if it was a V8. Maybe that's just me, but it loses it's cool factor for me with a V8. I'd rather have a corvette at that point.
    In my opinion, there is nothing the 850 does better than the 840 (not counting the CSI) other than the fact that you can say you have a V12 850, when you say 840 it confuses people.. but other than that, the 840 is superior in every way IMO, and I own an 840 and an 850CI/6 currently, and have owned/have had the chance to drive many E31s, the only E31 I have not driven is an Alpina
    1994 E31 840CI "Sport" 4.4 - Hellrot Red - Black Nappa Leather - Every Option available - OEM 65M Wheels, EDC delete/Bilstein, M60-M62 engine transplant, updated software, CSI Steering box & AHK, Full AC Schnitzer kit, Wood Trim, Front Plate Delete, Xenons + LEDs, Tints, Black Ind. headliner, BREMBO BBK, Hamann Exhaust, Custom aluminium throttle bushings, KAW springs, Strong Strut, Greg K GenII sway bars, Camber Plates, Stut tower reinforcements, X-Brace, Wokke chips, Wokke Sphericals, PM Steer Plates, H&R Spacers, Pioneer AVIC-F60DAB + more.

1994 E34 530i
    - Calypsorot + Many mods

2008 E66 760LI V12 - Every Option Available + Full Individual Composition

2015 F02 750LI Xdrive - Every Option Available + Full Individual Composition

2013 E70 40d TT - Full BMW Performance Kit

2016 F06 M6 Gran Coupe Individual

My Cars
    Too many to list.

I read sooo many posts.... but what’s the real deal?

I mean I guess. I haven’t driven an 840. Call me closed minded but I don’t really have the desire to drive one either. I’m about collectibility, rarity. The “V12” has that clout, even if it doesn’t edge out the 4.4L in the grand scheme of performance.

If it were an Aston, I’m sure the 8 Vantage would have similar clout to the 12 Vanquish, as most pleebs immediately assimilate the name to upper crust. BMW isn’t quite that fancy, and a 20+ year old 840 doesn’t quite have enough pizazz to make my knees wobble. At least the 850 has something just that little extra bit of cool, add in the 6spd for a few extra points.

Does that mean I look down on 840 owners or the car? No. It just doesn’t tickle my fancy as much as the 12. I guess to me, 4 short is real, joke or not.

Last edited by nah2323; 04-23-2018 at 04:57 PM.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i6
    Ehh. I don’t see any clout with a 20 year old bmw that costs less than a nice Camry. Unless it’s a CSI I wouldn’t call it collectible.

Only people who don’t know anything about the car are going to be impressed by “V12.” Anyone else knows itll get dragged by a Honda Odyssey.

I was planning on building an M60 stroker with mine so i opted for the 40. The 12 has never really appealed to me. Now if it made 400+ horsepower, different story. But seeing as it has no real advantage to the V8, they don’t sound good, have more weird issues, etc. There was nothing in it for me other than to tell people who probably don’t care anyway “yeah it’s a V12.”

That being said if the right 850i/6 comes along, I’ll probably scoop it. But honestly if I wanted a V12 that ran like a V12 should, I’d get a Mercedes.
    Last edited by killian665; 04-23-2018 at 06:00 PM.

My Cars
    Too many to list.
    Yeah they aren’t fast, I get that. The 8s aren’t speed demons. And sure a Honda Minivan will smoke it.

I just look at it like Fast and the Furious. When paul walker and vin diesel pull up next to that guy with the Ferrari. Sure the Supra was faster, but which one had the hot girl?

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i6
    Ain’t no girl caring about an old bmw lol.

My Cars
    91 850
    Ain’t no girl caring about an old bmw lol.
    That's your opinion, Killian. My car is not on the road much and I'm trying to drive it more these days. Anyways, sometime during the summer last year coming back from John's ranch, I pulled off the freeway and into a nice town to get a cup of coffee. While getting back onto the freeway, I had to stop at a 4 way intersection. a young (no more than 25), cute girl was gawking at my car like a car-crazed teenage boy while she crossed the street. To the point that I was starting to feel uncomfortable. Living in California and more specifically the Bay Area, there's no shortage of very nice cars all over the road. Teslas are everywhere, so are BMWs, Mercedes, Audis, Lexus, etc. Plenty of Ferraris and Lamborghinis and an occasional McLaren. All of that all the time and yet, the e31 still gets the attention.

Also last summer, after my car was done detailing at work, the auto detailer parked it in the shades. Several hours later, I came out to get the keys from him and he told me there were a couple girls that was strolling along the sidewalk went and took some selfies with my car in the parking lot.

So, again, "Ain’t no girl caring about an old bmw lol."
    ...well, that is purely your opinion.
    Last edited by ChrisFuture8; 04-24-2018 at 02:07 AM.

My Cars
    M3, 850i, E30T, E55T
    I had the mufflers replaced with straight pipes and it's perfect. As if it was from the factory with a sport exhaust. Have thought about eliminating the resonator for more "noise" but I'm torn since it's already almost the best I've heard from the M70 imo.

No, it doesn't like a 4-valve-per-cylinder V12, but then why would it, it was never meant to be "that" car.

Here's an old video right after it was done:

VID_20140731_204943 by Ada///M, on Flickr
    Last edited by adamnur; 04-24-2018 at 02:24 AM.

My Cars
    1994 850csi rhd
    I ditched my stainless de-cat non resonator expensive system for factory system up to the rear boxes, which are stainless Hayward and Scott. It sounds so much better, deep, smooth and no drone.

Without the resonator in place you will get drone at some point.

My Cars
    Too many to list.
    Quote Originally Posted by adamnur View Post
    I had the mufflers replaced with straight pipes and it's perfect. As if it was from the factory with a sport exhaust. Have thought about eliminating the resonator for more "noise" but I'm torn since it's already almost the best I've heard from the M70 imo.

No, it doesn't like a 4-valve-per-cylinder V12, but then why would it, it was never meant to be "that" car.

Here's an old video right after it was done:

VID_20140731_204943 by Ada///M, on Flickr

So Adam, you left everything including the resonator stock, and just straight piped after that?

My Cars
    BMW 850CI 1993
    The M70 is really no wonder of German engineering, but it is sturdy and has a lot of torque. Just my opinion. My car is an American version, with Worke chip. In sport mode he is fast for a 25 year old car. I am satisfied.
    Below is a two minute video on my 850ci. Without catalyst and without central dampers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwd05rJ7B7E

My Cars
    Supercharged 850ci
    The best I found so far is this: Eliminate center resonator with X pipe, sizable improvement in sound. If that is not enough eliminate both mufflers with Y pipes and tips.

My Cars
    two 3's one 5 three 7's
    Will that 2x m20’s tied together myth ever die?
    If you’ve ever worked on an m20 & an m70 you’ll know that they have absolutely nothing in common except a few generic parts.
    People still haven’t figured it out....
    Last edited by whiteghost1; 04-24-2018 at 04:17 PM.

My Cars
    Too many to list.

Can’t wait to see these in there...

My Cars
    x5, 640i, 850Ci, 850CSi

Can’t wait to see these in there...

You know, its funny. I have these, or very similar ones, that I installed when I had my magnaflows installed several years ago. It's the only mod I've ever regretted (the tailpipes, not the magnaflows). I wish I had opted for something that looked more like the stock tailpipes, in black rather than chrome, or even reused my old tailpipes. They don't look bad, per se, and of course the CSi has chrome tips (although they are thin walled and a little more understated), but other than the chrome trim on the kidney grills, these are the only chrome bits on the car, and they look a little garish to my taste. But to each their own -- I always say it's your car, so do what makes you happy.

Are you changing the exhaust at all at the same time?

Mike Barrett
    Mike Barrett
    94 850CSi, Hellrot over silbergrau dunkel/silbergrau hell
    96 850Ci, Oxfordgrun over silbergrau hell

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast