Thread: Giubo and Center Shaft Bearing Install

My Cars
    1998 BMW 323IC

Giubo and Center Shaft Bearing Install

Hi Everyone,

I've been noticing a clunking whenever setting off from a standstill (usually reverse, but sometimes forward as well). I noticed I had a pretty torn up giubo and suspect the CSB is shot as well. Is it a relatively easy DIY?

I was thinking it would be easier to just unbolt the exhaust from the rear and keep it supported (with a jack or wood) with the header bolts still attached (my biggest worry is snapping these bolts as they sound like a royal pain to remove). I can slide out the heat shield out and then unbolt and slide the entire driveshaft assembly out from the rear. I saw a video of this process on an E46 but was wondering if it can be applied to the E36?

Thinking about renting an autozone 3-jaw puller to remove the bearing, but reinstalling the new bearing using a flathead screwdriver and light even hammering. I'd be soloing this job so any input would be appreciated.

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Drop the whole exhaust from the header back. Support the muffler with a jack, and put a jackstand under the front end (or another jack). Take the whole heatshield down it's not a big deal. Don't forget new gaskets for the header connection. To remove the old bearing, cut the rubber part off with conventional means, then use a cut-off wheel to to carefully release the ring from the shaft (don't cut into the drive shaft (Duh)). Measure and mark where the old CSB was located, its important to get it very close. Remember to pre-load the new bearing when you put the driveshaft back on the car, ~4-5mm towards the front.

Realize your clunk could also be your diff very low on fluid, so you've never changed it then do that first.
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    1998 BMW 323IC
    I was mainly looking to avoid fully dropping the exhaust since the header bolts very commonly shear off and I don't have easy means to remove the pressed bolts. Understood regarding the preload and marking the driveshaft alignment. Although dremeling the bearing seems a bit extreme lol. Was mainly asking if anyway was able to do both giubo and CSB without dropping the exhaust.

I thought diffs low on fluid usually sounded like a whining or howling? I installed a 3.73 diff not too long ago and filled with new fluid (about 1.8 quarts I believe, but I put in 1 full quart bottle then another 26 or so ounces). First few weeks with it had some periodic dripping from the breather hole.

My Cars
    E36, E70, i3
    I had the guibo on my to-do list while I was doing a nearly full suspension swap. First thing I did? Snapped an exhaust header bolt. Granted I did it without thinking, just threw a breaker bar on it. I gave up and after finishing the suspension asked the shop who was doing the alignment for a quote to do the guibo, and it was only half an hour, so I jumped on it. They replaced the exhaust bolts for another 30 min of labor too.Plenty here have done it without issues with those bolts. Some have had only one or two break and have just drilled and replaced. You might be able to pull it off for just the guibo but I don't think it will be possible to do the CSB with the exhaust still on the car.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328i
    You will not be able to get the driveshaft out with the exhaust up. The header bolts aren't as bad as everyone makes them out to be. If they are stuck just grab the torch.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Should have mentioned, days/weeks before dropping the exhaust liberally spray the exhaust studs/nuts with penetrant, do this at least 3 times in the days leading up to the job. When you reinstall those nuts you should use quality anti seize like copper, use liberally.
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    1998 BMW 323IC
    I just tackled this project this weekend and finished last night. I wanted to see if it was actually possible to do this job without dropping the exhaust or driveshaft, and glad to report it is!

I unbolted the exhaust from the rear to the 2 bolts holding the exhaust bracket near the transmission. Then unbolted and slid out the heatshielding out the rear. I then unbolted the CSB bracket and loosened the giubo bolts. I loosened the black bracket where the rubber exhaust hangers were which gave me enough play in the driveshaft to remove the giubo, which came out like a charm. Tidied everything back up, preloaded the CSB and waiting to test drive tomorrow morning. Not bad for about half a day's worth of work, a local BMW shop quoted just over $500 to do the giubo alone! Luckily my CSB seemed okay since I didn't have vibrations at speed.

Hope this helps people who are working alone with jackstands in their garage or just don't wish to take the chance with those exhaust bolts.