Thread: throttle actuator replacement

My Cars
    BMW M6 M63 V10 6 sp

throttle actuator replacement

I was finally able to get the codes, my car needs new throttle actuators. I already bought a pair (special plastic gears, revised electronics, lifetime warranty). My question is: there is a YouTube video that explains the process, seems doable in 2-3 days. Is this something for a weekend mechanic? Has anybody who is not a professional mechanic done this?

My Cars
    BMW M6 M63 V10 6 sp
    Our dear forum member bmwdirtracing answered on another part of the forum: he states workwise it is about 6.5 hrs. However, he emphasizes the need to electronically synchronize the throttle bodies after installation. I have an OBD2 INPA software CD installed on a humble laptop. Will this do the job or are we talking about proprietary equipment only available at BMW dealers? Please realize I'm in New Mexico (ever see the 1st animated movie CARS?)

My Cars
    BMW M6 M63 V10 6 sp
    As a follow up to my own treads, after talking with a very good trusty friend Abdur Waheed from MPowerMotorsports, he sold me two rebuilt throttle actuators with lifetime warranty on both mechanical and electrical components. He also stated that the claimed 5-6 hours by the dealers was actually too much, shorter if you have basic mechanical skills and tools... and the guts to disassemble your car.

I decided I was going to take the easy long way, washing and cleaning every part as I went along. Lots of leaves and debris when you remove the cabin ventilation chambers. Cleaned that out really well, Several parts that I will paint the same color as the car if only for the bling effect. Maybe add a leaf filter on the drain tubes.

Back to work...There's a very good YouTube video posted by EdgeMotors that gives you a step by step how to do it... until... I got to the part of lifting up the intake plenums: My M6 6 speed manual has an extra hose attached to the lateral underside of the back part of the plenums that was not mentioned in the video. Furthermore, the clamps holding these hoses in place appear to be single use crimp clamps, where you have to break them to remove them. That's where I called it a day, had a glass of wine and posted my findings on the Forum. What is this hose, how do I disconnect it?

PS: I admit my computer illiteracy: I've tried several ways to post a pic of the hose at the back of the intake plenums... unable... Will email anybody who wants to see it. Meanwhile, does anybody know what these hoses are and how to proceed?
    Last edited by jvsantosmd; 04-27-2018 at 08:54 AM.

My Cars
    BMW M6 M63 V10 6 sp
    As my own reply, the tubes were finally disconnected, had to break the crimp clamps. Cleaning all the plastic parts that are out, cleaning the wiring harness cover underneath. As you can see from another post I have, while I'm here,may change the spark plugs, new ignition coils. The Info Center states spark plugs have 10000Km to go, will change them. Also, the brake pad replacement requires removal nearly as much plastic and engine covers as I have. Might as well.
    Last edited by jvsantosmd; 05-02-2018 at 12:56 AM.

My Cars
    BMW M6 M63 V10 6 sp
    Another small addition to the throttle actuator replacement. This one has to do with the arms that connect from the shaft that opens the throttle bodies to the actuators. There are 2 small snap ball connectors at each end. I can see that removing them may damage the cup that retains the ball inside. Is there anything I need to do to or replace when putting the actuator arms back? Is that apparently simple snap enough to hold it for 70,000-80,000 miles?
    Last edited by jvsantosmd; 05-05-2018 at 11:04 PM.

My Cars
    BMW M6 M63 V10 6 sp
    Throttle actuators replaced, spent several hours cleaning all visible components, went ahead and also changed spark plugs. Found out that if you move the coolant expansion tank, which must be moved to do the spark plugs, really makes life much easier when tightening the throttle body to intake plemum clamps - which is really the trickiest part of the operation, although doable. Putting in the intake plenums back over the throttle bodies can be very tricky. Putting a small amount lubricant (I used a small amount of WD 40) over the throttle bodies and the rubber intakes makes it much easier to get in. You may find that getting one side in is easy, it's getting the other side in... I did the driver side first, then the passenger side...and don't forget the rear hose connectors.

The throttle body actuators have this ball snap connector which I found somewhat scary ,,, until I had to press them in again. I would not recommend playing with it when they're disassembled, just leave them alone, when it's time to replace them back in place, you will be pleased to hear a very good secure SNAP! sound.
    Off for the day, I will report on the final assembly tomorrow.
    Last edited by jvsantosmd; 05-06-2018 at 09:39 AM.

My Cars
    BMW M6 M63 V10 6 sp
    Finished everything last week, unable to post results because I've been too busy driving my car. The new actuators drove the computer CRAZY for about 15 min... every warning light came on, limp mode made the car almost undrivable. Then, slowly, lights began to go off, the car began to drive like it's supposed to... next thing I know I have my dream car !! NO EDC, no ABD, no DCS lights... just pure power.

My Cars
    1999 BMW540 Supercharged
    Well done.
    1999 540 Auto with Eaton M112 supercharger
    Airlift 3H/P management, M5 steering box, M5 LSD, Eibach/Dinan front and rear anti roll bars, PM Modifich door boards, 4 Eton 6.5s, Sound Magus VS3500.1, 2 x 10" Kove audio subs, Alpine ICS X7 Headunit, 19" BBS Hammer Sports RT245/RT246, Muffler delete, electric coolant fan.