Thread: Another Bentley mistake???

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Convertible

Another Bentley mistake???

Manual says on the M- cars that the entire lower control arm must be replaced - ' that you can't simply replace the ball joint and bushing as with non-M versions.

Is this true?

Can someone suggest a brand that's decent but without the $295 each price of the BMW brand?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    98' M3/4/5, 85' 944
    It actually is true.....sorta.....OK not really.

There are no part numbers to replace the ball joints separately for the M control arms BUT the smart people of the internet figured out the M arms use E30 ball joints and can be pressed out and back in like any other ball joint

Before you order ball joints make sure your car currently has OEM BMW arms on it or the ball joints will not fit. It appears most if not all of the aftermarket arms decided to use a different size. Ask me how I know.

I have some new Lemforder Ball Joints ready to go in some OEM arms when i come across a used pair. Had to throw some cheapo Import Direct control arms from Oreillys on cause I was stranded with the car already apart when I found all that out the hard way.

Here are the ones i ordered https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...r-31121126254l and https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...r-31121126253l youll need 2 of each
    Last edited by tvcasualty; 04-22-2018 at 01:45 AM.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    Yep, I also just did this and those are the correct part numbers. You will need access to a 20 ton press in order to do this. The harbor freight one works fine, and it doesn't take long at all. Saw off the studs on the old ball joints, find some properly sized sockets or adapters, and press away. Make sure and mark the orientation of the markers on the underside of the ball joints and press the new ones in the same way. They generally point roughly parallel with the FCAB shaft of the arm. They tend to come out like a gunshot, but the new ones go in pretty easily.
    1999 M3/2/5 - Titanium Silver - Track/Weekend Toy

My Cars
    1998 Techno M3 Coupe
    Also, cutting off the old rubber boots and wiping up the old grease helps in getting a good purchase on the old joint when pressing out. You’ll need at least a 20 ton press. Don’t use anything lighter. Put something between you and the lower press. You don’t want a high velocity ball joint bouncing off any of your body parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by TostitoBandito View Post
    Yep, I also just did this and those are the correct part numbers. You will need access to a 20 ton press in order to do this. The harbor freight one works fine, and it doesn't take long at all. Saw off the studs on the old ball joints, find some properly sized sockets or adapters, and press away. Make sure and mark the orientation of the markers on the underside of the ball joints and press the new ones in the same way. They generally point roughly parallel with the FCAB shaft of the arm. They tend to come out like a gunshot, but the new ones go in pretty easily.
    When I load my cart on fcpeuro it cautions me that these parts DO NOT FIT my m3. I should ignore that caution???

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by jprottas View Post
    When I load my cart on fcpeuro it cautions me that these parts DO NOT FIT my m3. I should ignore that caution???

Yes. They are E30 parts so it doesn't like that you're buying them for an E36. They fit fine.
    1999 M3/2/5 - Titanium Silver - Track/Weekend Toy