Thread: E65 Problems

My Cars
    '89 535i, '00 735i sport

E65 Problems

Hi all, my sister is thinking of buying an E65. Are there any potential issues with the 65 such as timing chain guide etc. What should I be looking out for.
    thanks John

My Cars
    '93 850Ci- Daily Driver
    Alternator bracket seal to engine WILL leak at some point. If you are good with basic tools, you can replace that in about 6-8 hours. BMW dealer charges about $1500.
    '93 850Ci - Mineralweiß Metallic

2001 740iL - Titansilber
    ALPINA B7 -Alpinweiß III

...the price of cool ain't cheap!

My Cars
    2007 750i BMW; 2003 Z4 3.0 BMW; 2002 Lexus LS430;
    Mechatronics sleeve in the transmission will need replacing at some point.

My Cars
    They have a ton of problems. Any BMW with a V8 will require ongoing repairs and maintenance. Remember, no matter how cheap the car is now, you're still paying to maintain a $100k vehicle. They usually require $2-3k every year in repairs. If the previous owner didn't keep up with it, then it's very likely the car will need $4-5k in repairs right off the bat. They leak oil, they leak coolant, and the transmissions don't last.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    '93 850Ci- Daily Driver
    I have an 840 with close to 200,000 miles that runs like a top. Our 740i also has over 200,000 miles with no problems, and my dreaded 850 (V12) is over 250,000 miles (also no issues). Any BMW with an engine will require ongoing maintenance, as a matter of fact any car will require some maintenance. It is when owners do not do PREVENTATIVE maintenance that it starts to become expensive. Also, trying to "guess" at solutions will also cause you to throw dollars instead of sense towards your problem. If you are not familiar with these vehicles, spend the $100 and get it diagnosed at the dealer. At least they can tell you what is wrong, you can still repair it yourself for the most part.
    '93 850Ci - Mineralweiß Metallic

2001 740iL - Titansilber
    ALPINA B7 -Alpinweiß III

...the price of cool ain't cheap!

My Cars
    E31's and E38's are completely different animals than E65's. The E65 was an abortion that somehow made it to production. There are tons of high mileage E38's that are still amazing cars. Any high mileage E65 I've ever seen is total trash.

The E38, and E39 were the last of BMW's reign as building long-lasting, reliable vehicles.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    Alpina B7/4.6is/E34 540
    Quote Originally Posted by White94RX View Post
    E31's and E38's are completely different animals than E65's. The E65 was an abortion that somehow made it to production. There are tons of high mileage E38's that are still amazing cars. Any high mileage E65 I've ever seen is total trash.

The E38, and E39 were the last of BMW's reign as building long-lasting, reliable vehicles.
    Lol, an abortion? Obviously you're jumping on the classic E65 hate train that these forums love to perpetuate.

I'll happily agree that the early 04-05 745's were BMW's test bed for the public to vet, and I remember my bays and the back lot of the dealership being full of them; most of the issues being software related. Yes, there were transmission replacements as well, but that was due to PUMA cases requesting such, when a valve body replacement or vastly updated software would have probably cured many issues back then. I rarely see a failure of the 6hp these days, besides the usual pan leaks or occasional valve body seals.

But, the LCI was a vast improvement in design and reliability. I maintain plenty of higher mileage E65 750's, and the customers are the type to preventatively maintain them, typically at my behest, as I will suggest repairs and maintenance before they become a problem.

I still haven't for the life of me figured out what all the hate is about for this car. They have all the typical problems of any N62tu powered vehicle (oil leaks, coolant pipe, stem seals) but otherwise are just as "reliable" as any other Bangle era BMW in my 18 years of experience as a tech/writer/ manager. As a matter of fact, I see vastly fewer window regs, water leaks, trunk harness issues etc than I see with E60's, E90's and E70's. Yes, they go through guibos faster, tend to have IVM failures (as do many other models) and the Logic 7 amps can take a crap. That hardly justifies labeling the car as an "abortion". What does that even mean?

I'm not by any means a BMW fanboi, as I've owned many different makes. But, I've owned 3 different E65's, and currently own an Alpina B7. The latter of which was a very well maintained car upon purchase, and has given me zero issues as of yet. Of course, when I bought it, I immediately serviced the trans, changed the oil, coolant, diff fluid, updated software etc. Will something crop up? Sure it will; it's an aging, supercharged luxury sedan. But, guess what? I have the means and desire to maintain, fix and keep the car. I could have gotten an F01 version as well, but I think the N63 makes the N62tu seem like a Honda in terms of reliability and even ease of maintenance, or any repairs for that matter. A drastic example, but you get my point.

I also have owned E38's, currently have an E34 and E53 4.6. They are very different cars that I love for different reasons. Yes, they are vastly more simple in comparison, but also can't cool and massage your ass while driving, and offer the precise feel of rack and pinion steering (except for the E53), the better-than-decent sound quality of Logic 7, active sway bars and 500hp in stock form.

The main problem here is 3rd and forth party ownership. I see this often: a guy comes in with a "sweet sebben fitty" typically wearing hideous chrome wheels and black-out tint, along with multiple air freshener trees, a 7k mile overdue quick lube oil sticker, and every warning light on the cluster. They always got a "great deal" and want it checked out; AFTER the purchase I might add.

The smile and confidence is quickly wiped off when I hand them a 5-6k+ quote to make their auction special a roadworthy car that doesn't piss oil and coolant everywhere. They then realize that the repairs needed far exceed that high Interest loan they took out to buy their beauty. That's when they immediately decline all repairs and claim they have a cousin to work on it for $20.00 and hour. Then, they take to the forums to bash the cars for being unreliable.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

Those that can actually appreciate how well these cars have aged, and what hey offer for a certain price point, have no problem keeping them up.

Again, I'm not a huge BMW fanboi, as all makes have their issues. But, as a true car enthusiast, (and one who can appreciate complex engineering on any machine), I can form my own opinion (much of it based on fact) instead of grabbing the low hanging fruit.

My Cars
    98 m3, 00 525i
    Unfortunately my 02 e66 gets transmission fail safe in reverse, and during highway downshifts.

The car is amazing besides that one quirk...

Does anyone here have any info on reputable shops for a full rebuild? Can these be purchased new?

(Obviously buying a used transmission for these cars is like playing the lottery)

My Cars
    '89 535i, '00 735i sport
    Wow, That's a lot of great info. As it turns out now looking at getting a F01 730d for sister. That turbo diesel 6 has got a great name and fuel economy pretty darn good too. Anyone like to comment on the 730d ?
    Ta John

My Cars
    04 745i
    Thank you. I acquired an 04 745i and just like you said,22" wheels scraping the wheel wells,questionable maintenance etc.... I figured I could take it on myself. Maybe Anyway,can you PLEASE give me a secret to getting the mechatronic sleeve installed? Wow,what a pita. I used to like maitaining cars but I have recently changed my mind! haha