Maybe 1 gal-or-less left?
    IMG_3279.JPGIMG_3280.JPG

"Living on the edge...", indeed.

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    I've put in 13.8 gallons before...

My Cars
    2x 1997 BMW Z3 2.8
    Yes, far from edge. That fuel gauge needle is not even at it's lowest point.

My Cars
    '00 Z3 roadster 2.3
    Mine is a mutant, only 11.3 gal. Drained once to do something with hoses.

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Forbes View Post
    I've put in 13.8 gallons before...
    What you installed a new tank then pushed it to the station? My record is low 13, but I do mid-12s all of the time. If I filled as soon as the light came on, it would be only 175 miles or so. 220 or bust!!

/.randy

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by rf900rkw View Post
    What you installed a new tank then pushed it to the station? My record is low 13, but I do mid-12s all of the time. If I filled as soon as the light came on, it would be only 175 miles or so. 220 or bust!!
    Customer's car; had it pretty low__maybe lower than needed__to do some fuel pump work (which is usually doable @ <1/8th tank).

I had a filled 2-1/2 gallon gas can in the trunk on the way to station, 8-9 miles away!

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Not long after moving to the Gulf Coast (I lived 20 yrs in southern Louisiana before moving to Ohio) I learned the value in keeping the fuel tanks topped off. This is especially critical between the the months of June through November, aka Hurricane Season. Even though I couldn't physically evacuate all the cars even if I wanted to, it's nice to know that I have reserves of gas available for the one we'd take if we do have to leave.

At just the threat of a hurricane, everybody flocks to the gas stations__and not all that many are out here in the boonies__quickly depleting the supply and creating long lines. Better to have a bunch of cars laying around already filled with the stuff. If there's widespread power outages, then getting gasoline gets even harder. After Irma last September, the Interstate was littered with vehicles that were abandoned where they coasted to a stop.

My Cars
    2001 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by dreamrider01 View Post
    Aerosmith, BTW.

Maybe 1 gal-or-less left?
    IMG_3279.JPGIMG_3280.JPG

"Living on the edge...", indeed.
    You could have listened to the whole "Get a Grip" album while burning corners for another 60 miles before filling up. As Randy stated only living on the coast is truly living on the edge.

-Ed Hands
    MaxPSI Stg2 Turbo
    R.Forbes magic F&R
    100K Original owner miles.
    Proud member of the BF.c FI - Big Torque Club (>500wtq Dyno Results)

My Cars
    '00 Z3 roadster 2.3
    Quote Originally Posted by rf900rkw View Post
    If I filled as soon as the light came on, it would be only 175 miles or so. 220 or bust!!
    My light comes on at around 200? Maybe 220? Depending on the dispenser’s sensitivity at the pump, and my foot on the road. By 260, basically when the needle is about to hit the last mark, well, any time... I trust nothing German manuals say. Our fuel gauge is sort nice decor for that spot on the dashboard, with just a general idea of - got gas... drive... Also, I never do the “click... click... click...” thing to fill the tank ‘til it is spilling out of the intake. So, foaming fuel, coupled to dispenser sensitivity, may impact my mileage and volumes. Although, I hit the mid-tank mark between 155 and 180 miles. The last 1/2 tank is, as many here have noted, a race to the Empty mark. Now, mine is a Z3, not an M. I don’t think there is a difference tank-wise, and lines length/diameter. Then again, not concerned with what I don’t have. :-)

Also, another thing that I’ve notice impacts efficiency is the gas station’s fuel quality. In my experience, Kroger’s are the worst for that. I recently found a 93 Octane/E0, close to my house. It seems that there is a slightly better efficiency with that. Not sure if it is worth the slight per-gllon difference in price, though.

My Cars
    '00 Z3 roadster 2.3

+1

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Forbes View Post
    Not long after moving to the Gulf Coast (I lived 20 yrs in southern Louisiana before moving to Ohio) I learned the value in keeping the fuel tanks topped off. This is especially critical between the the months of June through November, aka Hurricane Season. Even though I couldn't physically evacuate all the cars even if I wanted to, it's nice to know that I have reserves of gas available for the one we'd take if we do have to leave.

At just the threat of a hurricane, everybody flocks to the gas stations__and not all that many are out here in the boonies__quickly depleting the supply and creating long lines. Better to have a bunch of cars laying around already filled with the stuff. If there's widespread power outages, then getting gasoline gets even harder. After Irma last September, the Interstate was littered with vehicles that were abandoned where they coasted to a stop.
    Old habits are hard to let go. Lived in Key West, Tampa, Gainesville and St Augustine several decades ago. Been through a couple of canes. Still keep 3-5 Gal jugs filled in the back shed, LOL!!! Shoot! They came in handy when feeder pipelines busted, and went without gas in NC for a bit.

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by dreamrider01 View Post
    Old habits are hard to let go. Lived in Key West, Tampa, Gainesville and St Augustine several decades ago. Been through a couple of canes. Still keep 3-5 Gal jugs filled in the back shed, LOL!!! Shoot! They came in handy when feeder pipelines busted, and went without gas in NC for a bit.
    Indeed, you get it! We do tend to take having gasoline for granted, and life for even the least interested in a car person gets hectic when you don't have it!

Here's hoping for a quiet 2018 season