Thread: 1999 E36 328is coupe wishbone help

My Cars
    1999 BMW E36 318i S

1999 E36 328is coupe wishbone help

So after my MOT today got play in ball joint nearside wishbone and play on the offside wishbone rear bush (lollypop)
    The lolly pops are getting the poly bush treatment, done it on my rear wishbone front bush a few years back and they are lovely.
    Question is what wishbone is good? I replaced the wishbone 4 years ago both sides and as its factory sport with 30mm drop im aware of a swift deterioration rate but 4 years is a bit excessive. They were cheap eBay specials though.
    Meyle? Original BMW? cheers

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Yeah, cheap ones will fail. You can rebuild the control arms if you have a shop press. The outer ball joint is the only tricky one. When pressing them out you have to first trim off those extra bits to allow for a support tube to fit over the old ball joint to press into. When installing the outter, you can convert it to the E30 style (solid ball joint) or press in the standard E36 but you have to make a tool to press on to push the new ball joint in.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    1999 BMW E36 318i S
    Can I just get e30 arms as they have the metal sleeve compared to E36 rubber sleeve on the ball joints. Also can I fit eccentric m3 poly bushes to e30 wishbones and use my lolly pop carrier? Ive heard e30 arms are a popular swap pretty much plug and play

My Cars
    98 328IS 03 325xi
    Quote Originally Posted by e36headcase View Post
    So after my MOT today got play in ball joint nearside wishbone and play on the offside wishbone rear bush (lollypop)
    The lolly pops are getting the poly bush treatment, done it on my rear wishbone front bush a few years back and they are lovely.
    Question is what wishbone is good? I replaced the wishbone 4 years ago both sides and as its factory sport with 30mm drop im aware of a swift deterioration rate but 4 years is a bit excessive. They were cheap eBay specials though.
    Meyle? Original BMW? cheers
    You need to be careful of after market arms and joints. I found that some arms have the hole for the outer just large enough that the oe sized joint is too loose to stay in place. An original or Meyle arm accept the Meyle all metal ball joint. I have a small home made press that worked for the outer joint but I couldn't get the inner one in so a shop did that one. The combination of the new joints and solid off set bushings made a world of difference according to my friend.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Gave away my BMWs, driving a VW and an Audi now.

My Cars
    99 M3

1999 E36 328is coupe wishbone help

Yes, you should use Lemforder.

Some folks have had good luck with Meyle HD, they do have the solid outer ball joint.

The Lemforder E30 FLCA will also work.

There is a thread about replacing the ball joints with Lemforder (E30 and/or E46) or Meyle inner and outer ball joints, but you need access to a 20-ton (minimum) shop press.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk