Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What could this 740i be worth? 1st set of photos

My Cars
    86 635csi 98 740i 96 MB

What could this 740i be worth? 1st set of photos

Hi all,

I've owned my 6 series for 30 years.
    I have a chance to buy this 98 740i with 86,000 miles.
    Friend of family original owners all service by Park Ave BMW dealer.
    Have not driven but I'm sure it'll be nice.

What do you think it should go for?

Thanks
    Bob V

IMG_0218.jpgIMG_0220.jpgIMG_0221.jpgIMG_0213.jpgIMG_0227.jpg

My Cars
    86 635csi 98 740i 96 MB

What could this 740i be worth? 2nd set of photos

No wheel rash at all.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    1996 740iL
    Those are basic basketweaves. Not really a desirable wheel. As far as the car, depends on mileage and more importantly, maintenance history. That looks like a '96-'98 model. If the timing guides have not been done, I wouldn't pay anything for it personally. JMO.

My Cars
    '95 740i
    From what I've seen better condition models go for, I figure the dealership wants 7k at least for that. Private sale would range anywhere from 2500 to 5000.

As MayorChuck said in the other thread, if the timing guides haven't been done it's not worth getting involved. And at the mileage its extremely likely they have not been and the previous owner dumped it on a trade to get away from doing it =)

However, it's your money, you're location, etc.. Just from a dealer I'd be looking for pristine and well maintained.

|| 1995 740i || M60B40 || DUDMD || ̶o̶r̶i̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶b̶l̶u̶e̶ Mercedes Brilliant Blue Metallic || Style 168 Wheels 1" Spacers ||

My Cars
    01 740i,E93 M3,E30 325is
    I dont think he said it was from a dealer, its from a family friend who had it serviced at the dealer.

That being said its hard to tell without better pictures, especially interior. Its not a sport or 750 so its not overly special and should command a premium even with low mileage.

The guides probably havent been done, you never know what that means. Could last another 60k or more could blow in the next 20k. I did mine at 120k just to be safe, expect $2-$3k depending on whatelse you change, unless you do it yourself which would be around $1-1500 in parts.

My Cars
    01 740i,E93 M3,E30 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by 1986series6 View Post
    No wheel rash at all.
    You should put these pics in with your other thread and make one. Also need pics of the interior. The wheels are not worth much except for E30 guys (like myself) that want style 5 basket weaves.

As Chuck said its not worth a ton, not a desirable make or color in terms of collectability.

My Cars
    1996 740iL
    Merged threads. Sorry, I didn't realize you had two threads going. All I noticed were the weaves and damage to the fender. As stated, a standard model of that color is not all that desirable, to an enthusiast. Low mileage does not discount future guide failure. Probably have coolant system and suspension due for replacement soon as well. Guides are a $3500 job if you don't do it yourself. On the other hand, it may go another 100k. If you are picking it up to turn, you may be able to get $2500 up.

My Cars
    86 635csi 98 740i 96 MB
    Thanks for merging the threads. Couldn't load all photos at once.

Major problem with the guides--thanks. I'll have to think this over.

I had the 16 inch basket weaves on my 6 with vogtland springs and Bilsteins and it drove great. Nice ride although very firm.

Then I went to 17 inch BBS RC090's with Pilots and the ride is crap.

Was thinking of going back to my basket weaves, but with all the negative opinion I may have to stay away.

Thanks all for the heads up on the 740.

Bob V

My Cars
    '95 740i
    Oh hah all I saw was, "Park Ave BMW dealer." My phone likes messing with sizes/rotation so I just assumed it was a dealer.

As for posting more than 5 pictures, you can post LINKS to pictures easily, but uploading to the thread is only 5. So post 5 as a topic. Then post a response to that thread to add 5 more, and so on =)

|| 1995 740i || M60B40 || DUDMD || ̶o̶r̶i̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶b̶l̶u̶e̶ Mercedes Brilliant Blue Metallic || Style 168 Wheels 1" Spacers ||

My Cars
    01 740i,E93 M3,E30 325is
    Thanks for merging the threads. Couldn't load all photos at once.

Major problem with the guides--thanks. I'll have to think this over.

I had the 16 inch basket weaves on my 6 with vogtland springs and Bilsteins and it drove great. Nice ride although very firm.

Then I went to 17 inch BBS RC090's with Pilots and the ride is crap.

Was thinking of going back to my basket weaves, but with all the negative opinion I may have to stay away.

Thanks all for the heads up on the 740.

Bob V
    I bet the 16" on your 6 series are a lower profile tire then they would be on the 7 series. Nothing wrong with the style 5 basketweaves I like them, its just they are a dime a dozen.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740iL
    Say what you will, I love the basket weaves on my 7, wouldn't change em. But I bought this for a DD, not a collector car. Unless you race, wheels are mostly a personal choice anyway. Most factory wheel are up to the job. And normally you'll get the best ride in a stock car from the factory wheel/tire size anyway.

My 951 has the "more rare" Fuchs. Aside from my car being an exact match for the car in the 86 Turbo brochure, and them being worth 10x what phone dials are worth, I personally like the common phone dials better. Just like I like these basket weaves. My advice is don't get hung up on the wheels. That's a pricing concern, but just means more rare wheels may justify a higher price. It's not a make or break thing.

Value depends on your area. 7's are rare as hens teeth around here. I mostly look for 3 and 5's, and find a good number. But this was the first (E38) 7 that had popped up on craigslist, and I grabbed it. I didn't get any history with the car, but based on the condition I was very comfortable with the $3200 I paid. I would rather the brake pad warning not to have come on two days after I bought it, but meh. I still feel I'm ok on the car. For my area, a 740iL in this condition, with the work I've done (about $300) and the work I need to do (Brakes, $500??) I could still flip this for a small profit. I'm not going to, but I could. I don't think I'd have any problem selling this for $4500 here. Your area may vary.

But keep in mind, that $300 I've spent would have been $1500-2500 at a shop. So yeah, there is that. Also, I still have some work yet to do. And while I don't know the history on the timing chain guides, visual inspection looked pretty good (not that that counts for much) I'm banking on them having already been done. If no, I'll deal with it when it comes up. Since I'm not trying to sell the car, I'm OK with that expense. I don't have a car payment since I bought it for cash. It's a win/win for me.

For me, it comes down to one thing... What's it worth to YOU!!!??!?! I love my E38... I mean LOVE it. To date it's my favorite car I've owned overall, and I've owned MANY, MANY cars (the 951 doesn't count, that's a collector/special car thing). If the guy had it in the condition I have it in now, I would have paid $4200 and not have felt ripped off. I might have at the time, but not after the 1000's of miles I've put on it.

That's just my .02 cents.....
    2001 740iL "Silver Beauty"
    1986 Porsche 951 "Silver Bullet"
    1987 Porsche 944 NA Auto (rebuilding for my son's first car)
    https://home.doonze.net/filepage.php <- BMW/Porsche doc's and files, work in progress

My Cars
    86 635csi 98 740i 96 MB
    Thanks for the wheel comments. That two tone is what I'll do to mine to jazz them up a bit.

This would not be a DD. My DD is a 2011 MB e350.

I'm going to get the paperwork from the dealer to view the service for the past 20 years.

If it all pans out even without the guides being done and I get it for a song, the cost of the guides would be less painful.

My Cars
    2001 750il Chrome line
    As 951 said you will not drive a finer car. If you take it to the dealer you will pay$$$
    As far as bang for your buck it can't be beat. for 3-5k you get a flagship with so many hidden goodies that even here we find new stuff we never new our cars did. One example is that the transmission software learns your driving style so it responds they way you want it to.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740iL
    To switch sides a little bit, and play devil's advocate, these things are likely to start being a bit of a pain here in 5 to 10 years. If being a multi 944 owner has taught me one thing about these German cars it's that the electronics start going really wonky at about 20-25 years. I think we're just starting to move into that era with these cars.

In the 944s, that admittedly are around 15 years older, the sensors, relays, and computers are all going south. The DMEs are getting crazy from years of heat cycling affecting the solder joints, and the grounds are all getting iffy. I see us E38 owners starting to see the same problems before long. Add in how the Germans seem to love designing their cars with the DMEs being below common leak prone areas.... And one problem I'm seeing in my E38 that I haven't seen in my 944s is that many of my wires under the hood have cracking an disappearing insulation. I mean who at BMW thought that was a good idea???? Something was wrong with the wires they chose!! I own mainly older cars, and never seen anything like it.

And our cars have so many many computers, and electronic bells and whistles, it does worry me some. The seats and mirrors are smart, the HVAC is smart, the sun roof is smart, the windshield wipers are smart, the keyless entry and alarm, even the lighting. All computer controlled in one way or another.

Sorry, lost my point. My advice is if you don't have tons of money, or you enjoy fixing cars yourself, like a lot, and are fair at it, an E38 may not be for you. Just getting to that age. That's my best advice to anyone looking at them. They are amazing cars and a joy to drive in every way. Truly The Ultimate Diving Machine. BMW got so much right with these. But age catches up with all things. It's going to be a constant labor of love keeping them, and all these systems, running. Worth it if your a "car person". Maybe not if you just like to get in and dive.

One good thing is there is a strong community around these cars. Right here in fact. Go back to the main page and take a look at total post count on all forums. Anything stand out about the E38 forum? Lots of smart people who love these cars. That's a great plus in my book. I took that into account when I pulled the trigger on this one. It's a major boon when dealing with any older car.

Just my .02
    Last edited by 951Dreams; 04-22-2018 at 11:20 AM.
    https://home.doonze.net/filepage.php <- BMW/Porsche doc's and files, work in progress

My Cars
    86 635csi 98 740i 96 MB
    Like I said, I have my 6 series over 30 years.
    To keep a car that long it has to a labor of love.
    When my wife asks "When are you going to sell that car?"

I tell her it's my coffin, bury me in it and I'll be smiling all the way to BMW heaven.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740iL
    Like I said, I have my 6 series over 30 years.
    To keep a car that long it has to a labor of love.
    When my wife asks "When are you going to sell that car?"

I tell her it's my coffin, bury me in it and I'll be smiling all the way to BMW heaven.
    Amen brother! That's the way to be, I love my old cars. Gives me endless things to work on, research, plan, and think about. And my last post wasn't directed at you, I know it's your thread, but sometimes I speak to the larger audience that might be brought here by google searches or looking into buying one of these cars. That was one of those sometimes. I figured you knew what's what from your 6.

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    Quote Originally Posted by 951Dreams View Post
    To switch sides a little bit, and play devil's advocate, these things are likely to start being a bit of a pain here in 5 to 10 years. If being a multi 944 owner has taught me one thing about these German cars it's that the electronics start going really wonky at about 20-25 years. I think we're just starting to move into that era with these cars.

In the 944s, that admittedly are around 15 years older, the sensors, relays, and computers are all going south. The DMEs are getting crazy from years of heat cycling affecting the solder joints, and the grounds are all getting iffy. I see us E38 owners starting to see the same problems before long. Add in how the Germans seem to love designing their cars with the DMEs being below common leak prone areas.... And one problem I'm seeing in my E38 that I haven't seen in my 944s is that many of my wires under the hood have cracking an disappearing insulation. I mean who at BMW thought that was a good idea???? Something was wrong with the wires they chose!! I own mainly older cars, and never seen anything like it.

And our cars have so many many computers, and electronic bells and whistles, it does worry me some. The seats and mirrors are smart, the HVAC is smart, the sun roof is smart, the windshield wipers are smart, the keyless entry and alarm, even the lighting. All computer controlled in one way or another.

Sorry, lost my point. My advice is if you don't have tons of money, or you enjoy fixing cars yourself, like a lot, and are fair at it, an E38 may not be for you. Just getting to that age. That's my best advice to anyone looking at them. They are amazing cars and a joy to drive in every way. Truly The Ultimate Diving Machine. BMW got so much right with these. But age catches up with all things. It's going to be a constant labor of love keeping them, and all these systems, running. Worth it if your a "car person". Maybe not if you just like to get in and dive.

One good thing is there is a strong community around these cars. Right here in fact. Go back to the main page and take a look at total post count on all forums. Anything stand out about the E38 forum? Lots of smart people who love these cars. That's a great plus in my book. I took that into account when I pulled the trigger on this one. It's a major boon when dealing with any older car.

Just my .02
    Very well said. I think the key is to look at it as an expensive hobby, like a boat. Can you afford spending $1,000/month on parts and do you have the time for fixing it yourself? If the answer is no to any of these questions avoid these cars. Of course, you might not need to spend $1,000/month on it, but you need to be ready in case you do. As they age the more expensive it gets to maintain them. I really like the fact that you see less and less on the roads, but there is a reason for that

My Cars
    99 IL/13 SXT/04 Audi A4
    I sell you my car and my car is clean and comes with extra rims
    El Cid 1999 IL
    DUDMD Tune/DINAN CAI/19 in Style 95 Rims/Bilstein's Shocks/Eibach Lowering Springs/OEM Folding Mirrors/Custom Cupholder/Custom Wood Sunshade/Sport Steering Wheel/Euro Center Console/Leather Shifter/Rearview Camera /Luke Custom 10 in Sub Box/Cross Drilled Rotors/Rear view Camera/BMW OEM Monitors/BMW E38 Picnic Tables/Vanity Headrests/OEM Roof Rack/Strut Bar/Dinan MAF and Dinan Throttle Body and Dinan tunning /BM53 Radio upgrade /Custom Innovadrive NXG39 modify and Alpine ILX-W650 touch screen radio.

My Cars
    1995 730iL (M60B30)
    I'm surprised you guys are ragging on the timing chain guides despite the 86k miles...

I mean, we all I know that I'm a resident M60 fetishist and not shy about giving the ol' TCG jab on a potential purchase, but at 86k miles it's a pretty safe bet this car has a lot of life left in it before they become an issue. I'm not sure I would look at that as a deal breaker given the mileage, personally.

But certainly, I would be willing to bet the current owners aren't mechanically minded with regards to what the TCG's involve exactly, so that can be used as a bargaining tool quite easily as it does come out sounding like an imminent disaster and a massive burden. Very clean car, classic Oxford Green and Beige combo, one of the best in my opinion (and I am also known as a Sandbeige ragger too!! Has hell frozen over?!). Throw on some nice rims, maybe update the indicators and tail lights, some black floor mats, and you're laughing - lovely looking motor vehicle!

My Cars
    01 740i,E93 M3,E30 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by Sobek View Post
    I'm surprised you guys are ragging on the timing chain guides despite the 86k miles...

I mean, we all I know that I'm a resident M60 fetishist and not shy about giving the ol' TCG jab on a potential purchase, but at 86k miles it's a pretty safe bet this car has a lot of life left in it before they become an issue. I'm not sure I would look at that as a deal breaker given the mileage, personally.

But certainly, I would be willing to bet the current owners aren't mechanically minded with regards to what the TCG's involve exactly, so that can be used as a bargaining tool quite easily as it does come out sounding like an imminent disaster and a massive burden. Very clean car, classic Oxford Green and Beige combo, one of the best in my opinion (and I am also known as a Sandbeige ragger too!! Has hell frozen over?!). Throw on some nice rims, maybe update the indicators and tail lights, some black floor mats, and you're laughing - lovely looking motor vehicle!
    I dont think we are freaking about TCG but its definitely something he should know. Also once the cars are this old I dont know if the mileage on the TCG makes as big of a difference, its a plastic that breaks over time. I have seen cars with 200k run better then cars with 70k because they were taken care of and driven a lot so the oil is moving around the engine.

86k for a 98 is a little over 4000 miles a year, thinks break from lack of use too

That being said, doesnt look like a bad car, just shouldnt go for a lot of money.

My Cars
    '01 740i Sp, '07 335i
    Quote Originally Posted by Staszek View Post
    You should put these pics in with your other thread and make one. Also need pics of the interior. The wheels are not worth much except for E30 guys (like myself) that want style 5 basket weaves.

As Chuck said its not worth a ton, not a desirable make or color in terms of collectability.
    Your e30 has 5 lug pattern - must be a very late one. Only the M3's had those that I know of....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Staszek View Post
    I dont think we are freaking about TCG but its definitely something he should know. Also once the cars are this old I dont know if the mileage on the TCG makes as big of a difference, its a plastic that breaks over time. I have seen cars with 200k run better then cars with 70k because they were taken care of and driven a lot so the oil is moving around the engine.

86k for a 98 is a little over 4000 miles a year, thinks break from lack of use too

That being said, doesnt look like a bad car, just shouldnt go for a lot of money.
    I guess my '01 with 33K is in trouble then Huh?
    http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm71/krallopian/darthSigTest2_zpsn6zkw5id.jpg[/URL][URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/DFW7-Dallas-Fort-Worth-BMW-7-Series-Club/300942239566"]DFW7 on Facebook/URL]
    "The Last Great e38" 2001 i Sport - Born'd on date 1/01 Cosmos/Grey - 32.8K miles - 2 1/2 " Custom Exhaust, Center “X”over , Modified OEM rear bumper, M5 style trunk spoiler, M6 OEM wheels, M3 Steering wheel with working paddle shift & CF trim, Bi-Xenon upgrade, 13mm Rear sway bar added, SS brake lines and bronze bushings, Cross drilled rotors and painted calipers, Akebono pads, Zionsville aluminum radiator & exp. tank with electric fan, Sprint Booster, BluTooth conversion, MKIV Nav., Custom wood cupholder, DUDMD Tune, Orien V2.5 LED Angel Eyes, Evans waterless. Recently added grey faced //M5 Cluster - all gauges functioning. Changed the grey carpet to black and topped off with GG Bailey front/rear mats[/SIZE]

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sobek View Post

FYI my guides broke around 96K in the engine. Age is just as important as miles.
    Last edited by georgebest; 04-24-2018 at 12:40 PM.

My Cars
    02 525i Wagon, 99 740
    Quote Originally Posted by georgebest View Post
    FYI my guides broke around 96K in the engine. Age is just as important as miles.
    That makes me nervous. One of mine lasted until 245K miles and then BOOM catastrophic failure. My other one has 133K on it now.

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobleprofessor View Post
    That makes me nervous. One of mine lasted until 245K miles and then BOOM catastrophic failure. My other one has 133K on it now.
    I had though many warning signs, like rough running, SES light, chain noise. It was almost like the engine was crying for help Didnt come as a surprise at all.

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    It looks like a pretty clean car. And the fact that they had it serviced at the dealer is a big plus, because usually that means the dealer would say "you need this" and they'd just do it. That's how I bought my 540. Lady just did whatever it needed. Big plus.

Yes, the guides are a risk, but they will be a risk in ANY 740 you buy. I did mine in my 98 at around 190k or so miles. They weren't broken, I just did them. So they could last a long time if the car is maintained well. But just know that's a possibility.

And about the color...
    I personally think the green is nice. My dad has an E36 M3 in Boston Green (looks like that 7 may be the same?) and it's a nice color, especially in the sun. I've seen a 740 mildly lowered on m-pars in that color and it looks great! With a good paint correction and polish I think that green could look great. For the interior, I like the sandbeige. I'm biased though because I have it in my car. I like the lighter interior on darker exterior. It's really a matter of personal taste.

If you re-do the headliner go with the sandbeige suedeliner and do the pillars too. Really adds a nice touch to the car. Love walking by with the windows down and seeing that grain on the a-pillar. Just looks great.
    '98 740il | 9/97 build | schwarz 2 | sandbeige | 5AT | 270k
    '04 330i ZHP sedan | Mystic blue | Alcantara | 6MT | 120k
    '00 540i sport | Titanium silver | Black | 5AT | 152k
    '85 Mustang GT convertible | Medium charcoal metallic | Gray | 5MT | 216k | one owner, all original

mods: m-pars | Bilsteins & B&G springs | ValentineOne | StealthOne
    retrofits: full nav | MKIV | bluetooth TCU | BM53 w/ AUX input | video module w/ AV input & backup cam | oem sirius xm | xenon | shades | PDC | rain sensor | BMW DWS TPMS | lighted door handles | front seat heaters | heated steering wheel | euro rear fog lights | ski pass | folding mirrors

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast