Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need ideas for custom reverse light

My Cars
    2x 1997 BMW Z3 2.8

Need ideas for custom reverse light

Hi! As some of you already know, I had installed successfully modded hamann taillights (so no car cutting required).
    As a compromise had to get rid of reverse light and rear fog lights (required in EU). (And I can switch to originals in 10 minutes to pass the MOT.)
    Even if I can use hazard lights when I want to reverse, that's still not exactly the same as reverse light.

Any ideas, what additional reverse light I could use and would be the best placement of it, so it doesn't look like alien addition to the car?

There was idea to integrate it in rear spoiler wing, but not sure if I will find something that will fit there inside with proper curves. So any suggestions are welcome!
    Last edited by deni2s; 04-20-2018 at 03:40 PM.

My Cars
    2000 BMW M Roadster
    You might be able to do something with two of these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018G5MY5O...&pd_rd_w=K4ZV7

They are pretty small and you may be able to smoke the lense a bit to hide the yellow LED elements.

My Cars
    z3
    Put a single small lamp on the side of the license plate mount area. That will look cool imo. At least in US you only need one reverse light (look at the scion xb)

My Cars
    Spec3 & MCoupe
    Maybe a little nuts, but you could drill a hole in the trunk on the opposite side of the BMW roundel that would be symmetrical with the lock. Then fill that hole with a round light that's approximately the same size as the lock. Even as I write this, I think it may be a terrible idea.

My Cars
    2000 m roadster 2010 x3
    A LED bar across the bottom of the tag area would work

My Cars
    2x 1997 BMW Z3 2.8
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    Put a single small lamp on the side of the license plate mount area. That will look cool imo. At least in US you only need one reverse light (look at the scion xb)
    Got me thinking about tow hook cover... I could put something behind it maybe, and make it tinted-transparent...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by OCRentAPopo View Post
    Maybe a little nuts, but you could drill a hole in the trunk on the opposite side of the BMW roundel that would be symmetrical with the lock. Then fill that hole with a round light that's approximately the same size as the lock. Even as I write this, I think it may be a terrible idea.
    I think that would be terrible idea.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pine1000 View Post
    You might be able to do something with two of these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018G5MY5O...&pd_rd_w=K4ZV7

They are pretty small and you may be able to smoke the lense a bit to hide the yellow LED elements.
    Or put it behind tow hook cover as I described earlier...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by z3forlife View Post
    A LED bar across the bottom of the tag area would work
    I think that would look cheap... I want OEM+ look.

My Cars
    2x 1997 BMW Z3 2.8
    Thanks for suggestions, keep them coming! Brainstorming is great!

List of options I have now worth considering:

1) Small LED behind semi-transparent tow hook cover - not sure about this, somehow might look strange...
    2) Probably custom build integrated lamp in rear spoiler wing (that would look nice probably, good placement, but requires lot's of work). Wondering if this lamp would integrate well...
    3) Number plate light from Z3M rear bumper rotated 180 degrees - well it doesn't add to the looks of z3m...
    4) Some small additional LEDs under the bumper - probably too low for pedestrians to notice
    5) Some small additional Leds over the number plate fitted with double sided tape - that sounds too ricer/cheap solution

First two options I like the most so far.

My Cars
    1999 Z3 Coupe
    I replaced my third light module with an led conversion made by forum member rob1887. Shouldn't it be possible to swap out some of the red led's for white and wire them to the reverse circuit? You could have white ends or a central flare.
    Last edited by daven; 04-20-2018 at 10:21 PM.
    Blue Ridge Mountains
    1999 2.8 Z3 Coupe
    Arctic Silver

My Cars
    S54 M-Coupe (Estoril Blu
    do a custom light with a clear center for reverse lights. something like this.

rear stop light.jpg
    Maddog

My Cars
    01 M5, 02 330ci, 03 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by MC28REPSOL View Post

rear stop light.jpg
    I second this. Clean looking Z3, btw OP!

My Cars
    2x 1997 BMW Z3 2.8
    Quote Originally Posted by daven View Post
    I replaced my third light module with an led conversion made by forum member rob1887. Shouldn't it be possible to swap out some of the red led's for white and wire them to the reverse circuit? You could have white ends or a central flare.
    This got me thinking about clear 3rd break light for prefacelift.
    Does anyone knows if 3rd break light for e46 convertible has the same dimensions? Maybe this can be converted for z3 easily?
    https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...y/63216920740/

- - - Updated - - -

rear stop light.jpg
    This is not custom, looks like Hella modular lights. Different diameter, and it's not spherical as the light modules in Hamman tails. I had seen someone made them fit - didn't looked the way I would like my car to look.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aeko View Post
    I second this. Clean looking Z3, btw OP!
    Thanks! Doing my best. Nice to hear, that someone calls car with full Hamann body kit clean looking

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    I was thinking tow hook area too. Buy an extra cover to cut and place a quality LED housing inside. You may still have a functional cover too.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    2x 1997 BMW Z3 2.8
    Quote Originally Posted by 328 Power 04 View Post
    I was thinking tow hook area too. Buy an extra cover to cut and place a quality LED housing inside. You may still have a functional cover too.
    Yes, that's exactly what I was going to do if I will decide to go forward with this option.

My Cars
    2001 M Coupe
    Ice out the third brake light, then install white LEDs staggered between each red LED.

-Ed Hands
    MaxPSI Stg2 Turbo
    R.Forbes magic F&R
    100K Original owner miles.
    Proud member of the BF.c FI - Big Torque Club (>500wtq Dyno Results)

My Cars
    S54 M-Coupe (Estoril Blu
    Quote Originally Posted by deni2s View Post
    This is not custom, looks like Hella modular lights. Different diameter, and it's not spherical as the light modules in Hamman tails. I had seen someone made them fit - didn't looked the way I would like my car to look.

- - - Updated - - -
    OK .... i'm not talking about that specific part but the concept. where you have a round light and insert a clear center for your reverse lights.
    here are a few more pics on cars so you can see the concept on this and yes, your most likely going to have to do a custom job to make it look right.

you can also do a turn signal/reverse light (yellow/white center) .... like this Lancer.

Classic_Motor_Show_2015_Lancia_Beta-005.jpg

rolu43c-f430-light-cluster-clear.jpg

used-2017-ferrari-california_t-convertible-8439-17402689-7-1024.jpg

hopes this helps some
    Maddog

My Cars
    2x 1997 BMW Z3 2.8
    OK .... i'm not talking about that specific part but the concept. where you have a round light and insert a clear center for your reverse lights.
    here are a few more pics on cars so you can see the concept on this and yes, your most likely going to have to do a custom job to make it look right.
    Yes, got it, but don't think it's possible to make custom light the same quality as OEM without selling my kidneys. And also I really like those all red lights - much cleaner look imho.

Probably it will be easier/cheaper to make custom clear 3rd brake light, which can be used as reverse light too.

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Electro-hydraulic mechanism to open the trunk-lid 2"-3" when reverse is engaged, exposing one (>1) or more high-intensity projector lamps.

Hidden 100% except while reversing, and the blinding effect would dazzle and confuse all would-be haters anyway.

Manual override switch to discourage annoying tailgate'rs optional.

Problem solved; next question...

My Cars
    '97 Z3
    What about back lit illuminated roundel? It wouldn't be a practical light for rear illumination but it can be there to say you have it. Just a quick search and you can find them. It would
    give you a the light with no major appearance changes.
    the-ultimate-aftermarket-part-white-led-bmw-badge-61205-7.jpg

My Cars
    2x 1997 BMW Z3 2.8
    Quote Originally Posted by nthor71783 View Post
    What about back lit illuminated roundel? It wouldn't be a practical light for rear illumination but it can be there to say you have it. Just a quick search and you can find them. It would
    give you a the light with no major appearance changes.
    the-ultimate-aftermarket-part-white-led-bmw-badge-61205-7.jpg
    I want it not "to say I have it", but so that pedestrians and drivers behind me understand without doubts that I plan to go reverse.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Forbes View Post
    Electro-hydraulic mechanism to open the trunk-lid 2"-3" when reverse is engaged, exposing one (>1) or more high-intensity projector lamps.

Hidden 100% except while reversing, and the blinding effect would dazzle and confuse all would-be haters anyway.

Manual override switch to discourage annoying tailgate'rs optional.

Problem solved; next question...
    Sorry, but I am afraid that might interfere with engaging my rocket launcher in the trunk...

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by deni2s View Post
    Sorry, but I am afraid that might interfere with engaging my rocket launcher in the trunk...
    Oops, yes, that would clash; be a shame to blow up the garage you were about to back into...

My Cars
    1998 Z3
    what about something like this only for an Euro plate?

https://www.ultrabrightlightz.com/ub...iABEgItG_D_BwE
    1998 Z3 1.9L Dinan Stage 3.

My Cars
    2x 1997 BMW Z3 2.8
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyfloyd View Post
    what about something like this only for an Euro plate?

https://www.ultrabrightlightz.com/ub...iABEgItG_D_BwE
    Yes, that might work, thanks for idea! Only not quite sure if placement on a number plate is the best one, as it's quite low and in a recess. Pedestrians from close distance might not see it in a daylight. But still worth considering, thanks!

Updated: Probably one of these https://www.ultrabrightlightz.com/ub...surface-mount/ on lower part of existing number plate would be the best and easiest temporary fix for the issue, before I will be able to do something more permanent (thinking about clear 3rd brake light or something integrated in rear spoiler).
    Last edited by deni2s; 04-23-2018 at 06:18 AM.

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    Fake dual exhaust where the two right tips house the reverse lights.
    Nathan in Denver

1999 M Roadster, VFE V3 S/C, Randy Forbes Reinforced, Hardtop, H&R/Bilstein, Apex PS-7, Supersprint
    1999 Z3 2.8 Coupe, Headers, 3.46, Manual Swap, H&R/Koni, M Geometry/Brakes, M54B30 Manifold, Style 42

My Cars
    2x 1997 BMW Z3 2.8
    Quote Originally Posted by s8ilver View Post
    Fake dual exhaust where the two right tips house the reverse lights.
    Sorry, those are already reserved for flamethrower.

My Cars
    S54 M-Coupe (Estoril Blu
    These only need a 3/8" hole to mount. might be the best option ...... Back Up Lights

81oIRG646CL__SL1500_.jpg
    Maddog

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast