Thread: Windshield mounted wind deflector

My Cars
    BMW Z4 3.0Si

Windshield mounted wind deflector

Has anyone located a wind deflector that mounts to the windshield, into where the convertqable top hooks?

My Cars
    2007 Z4 3.0Si
    Is there such a thing? I have never seen one.
    I know there are ones that block the wind from behind your head.

My Cars
    z3
    No, that doesnt exist

That would be very weird, and have to be very tall to function as an actual windblocker

The windblockers behind the seats work by creating a little air bubble vortex in the cabin, this air bubble pushes against air flowing over the windshield and keeps it flowing smoothly over the windblocker. Same concept as to why pickup trucks get better mpg with the tailgate up instead of down.

I'm not even sure a windblocker on the windshield would work at all, even if it was very tall. It'd either have to extend over the majority of the cabin (thus negating the convertible functionality) or incorporate active aerodynamics like air jets shooting over the cabin to emulate what the windblocker creates with the vortex

So not only does this not exist, but it absolutely should never exist

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    E92 m3 zcp, e85 z4m
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    No, that doesnt exist

That would be very weird, and have to be very tall to function as an actual windblocker

The windblockers behind the seats work by creating a little air bubble vortex in the cabin, this air bubble pushes against air flowing over the windshield and keeps it flowing smoothly over the windblocker. Same concept as to why pickup trucks get better mpg with the tailgate up instead of down.

I'm not even sure a windblocker on the windshield would work at all, even if it was very tall. It'd either have to extend over the majority of the cabin (thus negating the convertible functionality) or incorporate active aerodynamics like air jets shooting over the cabin to emulate what the windblocker creates with the vortex

So not only does this not exist, but it absolutely should never exist

Haha, I'm actually in the process of designing one. We do aerodynamic CFD and design, so i will agree that a simple deflector is not the solution. I was really just planning to build one for myself, but if there is interest, i can keep people in the loop. We also have a few other z4m roadster parts in development.

Brian

My Cars
    96 BMW Z3
    Late to this thread, but I also thought that the front frame rail for a make-shift deflector would be interesting. I purchased a roll-bar fitting mesh deflector from Jason on Etsy and noted it is almost perfect except a little buffeting at the top of my head. He built a small deflector out of modeling clay that he could put on the top of his z3's windshield and he said it worked very well. He didn't share the details of it or any pics, but he did say it wasn't very tall. I've got an idea for a roll-bar mounted deflector - see my recent post under spare tires for details.