Thread: Moonroof has a mind of its own?

My Cars
    1999 740Il,1999 Corvette

Moonroof has a mind of its own?

For the last month or so whenever I push the button to vent the moonroof, it vents then quickly closes by itself finger off the switch. If I quickly press the switch again, it will stay vented. Do I need to re sync it? clean the tracks or replace the switch?

My Cars
    99 840ci Sport Indv
    Yes, standardization is required, here's the routine:

http://www.meeknet.co.uk/E38/E38_Sun...escription.pdf
    Timm..2007 E64 650i Individual Sport..1999 E31 840ci Individual Sport..ex owner of 2000 E38 740..1999 E38 740i V8 M62..1998 E38 735i V8..1993 E32 730i V8..1988 E28 518i

My BMW Repair YouTube Channel
    My Current 840ci Sport Individual
    My Current 650ci Sport Individual
    My E31 Repair and Information Website
    My E38 Repair and Information Website
    My E63/E64 Repair and Information Website

Chase - Heroes to a generation

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    ...and after reading the well detailed (very educational) info in Timm's link...remember there's a "cliff note" (short version) in the owners manual, too....that just has the "how to".

Last edited by Qsilver7; 04-20-2018 at 01:02 PM.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    1999 740Il,1999 Corvette
    Thanks guys!

My Cars
    1999 740Il,1999 Corvette
    I tried these things last night. No change? Still closes after releasing the tilt switch.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740iL
    I'm having the same thing as the OP. If I try to AUTO lift it will open then close itself. The only way to lift it is by pressing the button for just a moment, and lift it in 1/4" jumps. If I do that it will stay where I leave it. Mine will open, but when closing it will almost close then back up to about 2-3" open. I read in the expanded instructions to do this:

New standardization is necessary after conducting repairs on the sunroof. Set the sunroof in the ”lift” endposition for standardization purposes.On reaching this position, press and hold the switch in ”lift” for at least 15 seconds. The old data is deletedand new standardization values stored. Brief activation of the sunroof drive indicates that the standardizationis being run.

Is "lift" end position having the lift part open? If not, how is this any different from the second 5 second procedure???

The following procedure is necessary in order to learn the characteristic curve: after standardization, releasethe operating switch and, within 5 seconds, press it again to ”Lift” and keep it pressed. After approx. 5seconds, the sunroof is fully opened and fully closed. During the process, the mechanical forces are recordedin the system.

I think I get the 2nd part. With everything closed, press "lift" for 5 seconds and let it open and close itself. But the first one I'm still unclear on. Where should the sunroof be when you press the "lift" button for 15 seconds????
    2001 740iL "Silver Beauty"
    1986 Porsche 951 "Silver Bullet"
    1987 Porsche 944 NA Auto (rebuilding for my son's first car)
    https://home.doonze.net/filepage.php <- BMW/Porsche doc's and files, work in progress

My Cars
    '01 740i, '99 528iT
    Guys:

It may be that your sunroofs are too far out of sync for the standardization procedure to work. Have you recently performed work on your sunroofs?

The "key" position is closed. Pull the sunroof hex wrench from your trunk tool set and manually crank your sunroof fully closed (from tilt or partially open). This position occurs when the roof panel has just aligned itself with the roof. Now perform the standardization routine (press and hold "tilt"). You will hear a click sound when complete. In my experience, it takes about 15 second, not 5 seconds.

It may require a few trial-and-error attempts.

If this doesn't work, pull your sunroof panel and look for damaged parts or excessive resistance in the tracks (from debris, lack of lube, etc).

Frankie
    Texas, USA
    frankies-bmw.com

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740iL
    I ended up getting mine to work. Holding lift caused the roof to lift then just close again. Up then down. Holding it for any amount of time caused no click or any other behavior. Also, out of interest, the sunroof "cover" didn't move during this unless I manually opened it.

I opened the roof all the way, and held the "lift" button. After about 15 seconds the roof closed. I kept it held for about 20 more seconds, but nothing else happened. After that it got REAL weird. It would do the strangest things. Stop in weird placed. Forward would move it back, it wouldn't lift AT ALL. Back would move it forward. Just real weird stuff.

After playing with it for like 20 mins I tried the same thing again. Opened it all the way, and held the "lift" button down. After about 15 seconds it closed, but this time it also lifted and stopped in the full lift position. I waited about 20 seconds and nothing else happened so I let go. It now works as expected. All my issues are resolved.

It also now opens the cover about 6 inches when you "lift" it if the cover is closed. Didn't do that before either. It opens right, closes right, and lifts right.
    https://home.doonze.net/filepage.php <- BMW/Porsche doc's and files, work in progress

My Cars
    '01 740i, '99 528iT
    Quote Originally Posted by 951Dreams View Post
    ...Opened it all the way, and held the "lift" button down. After about 15 seconds it closed, but this time it also lifted and stopped in the full lift position...It now works as expected.
    Well that procedure is definitely "not in the manual". My guess is that pressing and holding the tilt button activates the motor's end-stop markers. Roof-open represents one end of travel, while tilt is the other end.

Like you, I sometimes find trial-and-error attempts to be more effective than official procedures.

Frankie
    Texas, USA
    frankies-bmw.com

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    From https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...s-roof/2cU7E1T website...it reads more like what 951Dreams did.

Notes on steel and glass slide/tilt sunroofs (initialization/normalization/learning of characteristic curve)
    Note:

Initialization comprises:

Normalization
    Learning characteristic curve

The mechanical end positions are recorded and stored during normalization.

The characteristic curve is learnt immediately after normalization.

When the characteristic curve is learnt, the mechanical closing forces of the slide/tilt sunroof are recorded and stored for correct operation of the anti-trapping mechanism.

Note:
    An initialization must be performed:

In the event of malfunctions, e.g. no one-touch function, no opening or no comfort function possible.
    After disengagement of the drive unit.
    If necessary, after an interruption of the power supply.
    After work is carried out on the mechanism of the slide/tilt sunroof.

Note:

The initialization sequence is dependent on the software version of the slide/tilt sunroof module (in the sunroof drive unit).

If necessary, code slide/tilt sunroof drive unit.

Warning!
    There is no anti-trapping protection during initialization.

Normalization:

Press and hold the switch in the ”Lift” direction.
    In the event of delayed starting or sudden stopping of the slide/tilt sunroof, continue pressing the switch in the ”Lift” direction.

After reaching lift end position (A), keep switch pressed for approx. 20 seconds further.
    Normalization is completed when the slide/tilt sunroof in lift end position (A) presses again briefly in the direction of position (B).
    Release switch.

Learning characteristic curve:

E38 from 9/98; replacement of drive unit

E39 from 3/98

E46 Compact

E46 Saloon, Touring, Coupé from 09/2001; initial equipment of drive unit

E46 Saloon, Touring, Coupé; replacement of drive unit

E53 slide/tilt sunroof (not: panoramic glass sunroof):

The curve is learnt manually in the following steps:

Release switch after normalization for max. 5 seconds.
    Then hold down the switch in the raising position direction until such time that the slide/tilt sunroof has returned to the closed position after a complete opening movement.
    This concludes learning of the curve. The switch can now be released.

Note:

Carry out function check (one-touch function, anti-trapping protection and, if necessary, comfort function).

E38 up to 9/98; initial equipment and replacement of drive unit

E39 up to 3/98:

In these cars, the curve is learnt automatically during operation by way of the module.

After normalization, open and close slide/tilt sunroof fully once by pressing switch.

In the event of faulty triggering of the anti-trap protection facility in specific positions, the fault can be rectified by moving over the relevant position numerous times.

E38 from 9/98; initial equipment of drive unit

E46 Saloon, Touring, Coupé up to 09/2001; initial equipment of drive unit:

The curve is determined by means of coding.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740iL
    I don't know, even that one doesn't sound like what ended up working for me. Maybe while playing with it I just opened and closed it enough to get it to learn the curve. But that write-up you just posted seems to imply my 2001 should have just had the curve encoded. No "setting" necessary.

I will tell you, the first time I did the "Open all the way, hold the lift button till it closes" it went really, really wonky. So it did SOMETHING, just not something good. Nothing it did made any sense. And wouldn't lift at all anymore. After the second time, and it closing all the way then lifting all the way (didn't lift the first time) it's now behaving like I think it should. Lift lifts it, and opens the cover. Open opens it. It "auto" closes on it's own without backing up 4 inches open again after closing. Before I could only close it if I manually did it (held the button forward).

Writing that, I realize it's hard to explain both what it was doing, and what I did to fix it. I was also having some issues understanding the write-ups, and what I was SUPPOSED to be doing. But in the end, what I did worked, so whatever. Your mileage may vary.

My Cars
    1999 740Il,1999 Corvette
    It's fixed! I opened the moonroof fully then held the tilt button for 15 seconds. I then closed the moonroof and held the tilt up button for 5 seconds. It tilted up then down and remained down for those 5 seconds. Thank all of you for the tutorials.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by carnut1947 View Post
    It's fixed! I opened the moonroof fully then held the tilt button for 15 seconds. I then closed the moonroof and held the tilt up button for 5 seconds. It tilted up then down and remained down for those 5 seconds. Thank all of you for the tutorials.
    Glad you got it fixed!!!