Thread: Tune up needed or more serious problem?

My Cars
    2001 BMW 330i

Tune up needed or more serious problem?

I’ve had my 330i for about 8 months now and it has 128k miles on it. I bought it with probably 100-110k and I’ve noticed since then it feels like my powers not really there anymore. I haven’t given it a tune up since I got it and don’t know when the previous owner did either but I have changed the oil since. Wouldn’t the check engine light come on if I needed a tune up?

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Wouldn’t the check engine light come on if I needed a tune up?
    Not necessarily.
    Sluggish power output could be caused by a number of things.
    Any modifications installed, or completely stock?
    Auto or Manual trans?
    Any service history?

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    +1

At 100k it is called for new spark plugs, and a whole slew of things to be replaced as well.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    2001 BMW 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKYZZ4 View Post
    Not necessarily.
    Sluggish power output could be caused by a number of things.
    Any modifications installed, or completely stock?
    Auto or Manual trans?
    Any service history?
    Sluggish power, and I also noticed it’s sucking up oil like no tomorrow. No leaks of oil and I don’t smell oil burning at all so I don’t think it’s the valve cover either. And I put a K&N air intake on it, with some visual modifications but completely stock besides that. Changed the oil, brakes, and thermostat so far. I know the previous owner kept it in great condition until his fuel pump gave out and didn’t wanna fix it so I’m hoping all the hoses and expansion tank are all changed. I’m going to look further into those when this Chicago weather wants to be friendlier. It’s an automatic transmission.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by dworthy View Post
    +1

At 100k it is called for new spark plugs, and a whole slew of things to be replaced as well.
    I’m hoping the previous owner took down the 100k mark fixes, but I suppose I’m going to find out sooner or later if he did or did not and it’s not looking too good. If he didn’t what would you recommend changing first and what would be lower priority? I was looking into tweaking with the VANOS but I don’t really have $800 to throw around for a new double VANOS unit😬
    Last edited by gabriel22; 04-20-2018 at 01:23 AM.

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by gabriel22 View Post
    I’m hoping the previous owner took down the 100k mark fixes, but I suppose I’m going to find out sooner or later if he did or did not and it’s not looking too good. If he didn’t what would you recommend changing first and what would be lower priority? I was looking into tweaking with the VANOS but I don’t really have $800 to throw around for a new double VANOS unit
    That would all depend on what level you can DIY it all. The VANOS seals are only a couple of bucks if yo hear the empty rattle can sound. I would check the DISA out too, for the flap like to come loose.

I would start with the fuel filter, as it is pretty easy and rather cheap, then the spark plugs next. The oxygen sensors are rated at 120k miles but you will hear people tell you to leave them alone until you start to get codes.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    The first step in diagnosing a problem is to scan the engine computer (DME in BMWspeak), and the automatic transmission (if so equipped) for codes. These cars have extensive built-in diagnostics. The SES light isn’t illuminated unless there’s an emissions related code present.
    The M54B30 engine is notorious for drinking oil. The first step is to ensure that the crankcase ventilation system (CCV) is working properly. Remove the oil fill cap with the engine idling. There should be a small amount of vacuum present. If there’s no vacuum the CCV needs to be replaced. This is a real PITA task for first timers. If the there’s vacuum at the oil fill hole, the next step
    id to switch the oil to Shell Rotella T6 oil. Many folks at E46Fanatics have noted decreased oil consumption with this oil. Also, buy a Mann (and only a Mann) oil filter (Amazon). If oil consumption is still too great (greater than a quart of oil every 800miles), your next step is to perform a top end soak using GM Top End Cleaner. It’s $20 at Amazon. Go to E46Fanatics and search for the procedure.

My Cars
    E46 wag. E36 convertible
    In my case, my current drive, an 03 m54, I'd bet the spark plugs are original. Now with 130k, according to the BMW odometer..of which seems oddly fast to me...to accumulate 1/32 mile greater than that of an actual mile (topic for another study) Spark plug electrodes do wear over time and eventually require replacement. I haven't had to replace spark plugs in a great many years. The A6 went 197k for me..never changed the Bosch spark plugs....Before the Audi were the diesel Benz cars I drove for many years, two of them, going back to 1984. For those diesel cars were injector issues, not dissimilar for the same purpose (spark plugs)(fuel ignition) gas and diesel engines but they are worlds apart..............Spark plugs in an M54...or any BMW inline, are not easily accessed...even for inspection. Plan on spending some money. Over 100k almost everything mechanical needs to be serviced. Everything!
    Last edited by Eaglesail; 04-20-2018 at 02:30 PM.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by dworthy View Post
    That would all depend on what level you can DIY it all. The VANOS seals are only a couple of bucks if yo hear the empty rattle can sound. I would check the DISA out too, for the flap like to come loose.

I would start with the fuel filter, as it is pretty easy and rather cheap, then the spark plugs next. The oxygen sensors are rated at 120k miles but you will hear people tell you to leave them alone until you start to get codes.
    Yeah my service engine light isn’t on so I’m not getting any codes at the moment. However I am going to change out the fuel filter, spark plugs, and oil filter. With that said I was wondering what vacuum hoses could I change while doing these & where could I get them? With the DISA & VANOS seals, the car doesn’t have any rattling or sound indicators when accelerating. However when idle I do hear a rather loud clicking sound, a BMW mechanic told me it was loose belt, but I don’t know if that’s correct.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
    The first step in diagnosing a problem is to scan the engine computer (DME in BMWspeak), and the automatic transmission (if so equipped) for codes. These cars have extensive built-in diagnostics. The SES light isn’t illuminated unless there’s an emissions related code present.
    The M54B30 engine is notorious for drinking oil. The first step is to ensure that the crankcase ventilation system (CCV) is working properly. Remove the oil fill cap with the engine idling. There should be a small amount of vacuum present. If there’s no vacuum the CCV needs to be replaced. This is a real PITA task for first timers. If the there’s vacuum at the oil fill hole, the next step
    id to switch the oil to Shell Rotella T6 oil. Many folks at E46Fanatics have noted decreased oil consumption with this oil. Also, buy a Mann (and only a Mann) oil filter (Amazon). If oil consumption is still too great (greater than a quart of oil every 800miles), your next step is to perform a top end soak using GM Top End Cleaner. It’s $20 at Amazon. Go to E46Fanatics and search for the procedure.
    Where could I getting a DME scanner? I’ve wanted to get one for quite long now instead of getting charged $100 inspection from the dealer everytime. Also I am going to change out the oil filter with a Mann oil filter because the oil quality is going bad from only 600-800 miles and is losing a quart about every 600. What vacuum hoses could be changed while changing the oil filter to help the CCV system?

My Cars
    2001 BMW 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by Eaglesail View Post
    In my case, my current drive, an 03 m54, I'd bet the spark plugs are original. Now with 130k, according to the BMW odometer..of which seems oddly fast to me...to accumulate 1/32 mile greater than that of an actual mile (topic for another study) Spark plug electrodes do wear over time and eventually require replacement. I haven't had to replace spark plugs in a great many years. The A6 went 197k for me..never changed the Bosch spark plugs....Before the Audi were the diesel Benz cars I drove for many years, two of them, going back to 1984. For those diesel cars were injector issues, not dissimilar for the same purpose (spark plugs)(fuel ignition) gas and diesel engines but they are worlds apart..............Spark plugs in an M54...or any BMW inline, are not easily accessed...even for inspection. Plan on spending some money. Over 100k almost everything mechanical needs to be serviced. Everything!
    Yeah I suspect the previous owner didn’t do any of the matentience so I’m starting with getting NGK spark plugs, oil filter & injector, oil filter, and whatever CCV hoses I can change while doing these. I also suspect the valve cover gasket is going to go soon so I’m going to wait another month or 2 to change that out. Would you recommend any other maintenance that is top priority?

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Yes, a good start on a relatively neglected engine would be new:
    • NGK plugs
    • oil change
    • oil, fuel, and air filters
    • diagnostic scan

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Quote Originally Posted by gabriel22 View Post
    Where could I getting a DME scanner? I’ve wanted to get one for quite long now instead of getting charged $100 inspection from the dealer everytime. Also I am going to change out the oil filter with a Mann oil filter because the oil quality is going bad from only 600-800 miles and is losing a quart about every 600. What vacuum hoses could be changed while changing the oil filter to help the CCV system?
    Well then, here are some options,
    concerning diagnostic tools,

For a good BMW scan tool, I feel you have 3 options:

• Foxwell nt520:http://www.foxwelltool.com/search/?q=NT520
    • Carly for BMW:http://www.mycarly.com/product/bmw-app/
    • INPA software for BMW: Do a search on bimmerforums

I recommended them in no specific order,
      as selection is based more on preference.

INPA is an excellent diagnostic tool,
      but is a proprietary BMW factory tool.
      So all available copies are technically bootleg versions.
      This requires a copy of the INPA software downloaded into a laptop computer,
      along with the correct cables for your particular model of BMW.
      I recommend this only for computer geeks, or the mostly computer savvy among us.

For an affordable standalone unit, Foxwell nt510(nt520 Updated version) is the preferred unit, along with required cables.
      It can scan for BMW codes, among other things, as it can communicate with all BMW modules.

Carly for BMW is an APP,
      and as such, requires a smartphone,
      along with a connection to the OBD2 port in your vehicle,
      supplied either by cable or wireless connection via Bluetooth dongle

Update: Now the full version is $74/year on a recurring subscription
    Last edited by MIKYZZ4; 07-12-2018 at 05:04 PM.

My Cars
    E46 wag. E36 convertible
    Spark PLUGS????......only?...generally??

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Eagle,I must ask,
    are you drinking?

My Cars
    2004 325XI/2008 GL320
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKYZZ4 View Post
    Eagle,I must ask,
    are you drinking?
    I haven't been able to figure out his rhyme, reason, or cadence for the life of me.

My Cars
    2004 325XI/2008 GL320
    I have a few tried and true items for restoring engine performance on a decently healthy M52 ot M54 engine.

1. Eliminate vacuum leaks
    2. Spark plugs - NGK only
    3. Vanos seals - Besian only
    4. Exhaust cam sensor - OEM only
    5. Intake cam sensor - OEM only
    6. Upstream O2 sensors - Bosch only

This formula no matter the mileage usually produces profound results in low, mid, and high range power along with smoother shifting and can be done in a single afternoon.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Excellent recommendations!

My Cars
    2001 BMW 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by dhurley34 View Post
    I have a few tried and true items for restoring engine performance on a decently healthy M52 ot M54 engine.

1. Eliminate vacuum leaks
    2. Spark plugs - NGK only
    3. Vanos seals - Besian only
    4. Exhaust cam sensor - OEM only
    5. Intake cam sensor - OEM only
    6. Upstream O2 sensors - Bosch only

This formula no matter the mileage usually produces profound results in low, mid, and high range power along with smoother shifting and can be done in a single afternoon.
    Thanks for the tips, I’m going to change these out as well as Mikyzz4’s reccomendations as well. Regarding the vacuum leaks, how will I know which hoses to switch, or do I just switch them all out? Also where could I get my hands on them? Sorry I’m a relatively a newbie😅

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    The shop who does your smoke test will tell you which ones, and if they are a decent euro shop, will have the proper parts on hand.
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member