Thread: Fuel system cleaner

My Cars
    '98 540i '01 540i 13 E70

Fuel system cleaner

I have a very high mile daily driver that I just put a new fuel filter in about 6 months ago. I see on various posts where BG 44K Fuel System Cleaner is hey somewhat popular fuel system cleaner. Will this damage or hinder in any way, the new fuel filter I just had installed?
    Thanks in advance

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    BG44K is meant to be injected directly into the fuel rail, not dumped into the tank.
    Use Chevron Techron.

My Cars
    Too many
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    BG44K is meant to be injected directly into the fuel rail, not dumped into the tank.
    Use Chevron Techron.
    BG does make fuel system cleaners that are intended to be injected into the fuel system using BG's proprietary machines, but 44K isn't one of them. 44K is intended to be introduced via the fuel tank. But to the OP's original comment it's a fabulous product.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Coupenut; 04-19-2018 at 11:23 AM.
    00 740iS
    84 635 (euro)
    88 M6
    84 745i
    88 325iX
    92 850i (6 spd)

My Cars
    525it,02 525it,73 2002

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    ^^^ Yepfersure what jp said.

Techron or BG are fine products as far as they go but the science says that if you use good gas, and use the high-grades of it, that stuff is loaded with the magic cleaner pixie dust anyway and running tankfuls of good gas repeatedly / all the time is far better than trying to dump some extra additive here and there into cheap gas. Basically the expensive gas has the cleaner stuff pre-loaded.

I had some luck loosening up drippy injectors by "overdosing" my old MB with Techron for a few tankfuls (on top of using high-grade additive-loaded gas) but that was a kinda special story because my granny probably ran that car its entire life on the cheapest gas possible and it would sit all summer with the gas varnishing up. Techron or BG wouldn't do anything useful for our 'good' cars which always get $$$ gas all the time anyway.

And your new fuel filter ain't gonna clog up - put the FF low on your list of life worries. Hey if you got 200k on the car, great, go for it, was probably good logic to replacing it. But the FF on these cars is a giant mega canister that's nearly impossible to clog (as I always say you could stuff a dead rat in one and it would still flow), the guys who replace them every few years like its the 1970's and we have rusty gas tanks and engine-block-mounted fuel pumps are throwing their money away. The fuel pump has a significant screen on it so its nearly impossible for particles to get as far as the filter unless something really bad/wrong has happened.

Frequent FF replacement was back when the gas tank was metal and rusted and had little to no filter/screen before the lines got to the engine bay, which was where the pump lived. Oh and maybe the gas station gear was crappier too. Today, the gas station pump has a super micron filter on it at all times so the gas goes in pure as an angels pee, then your plastic tank doesn't rust, and if anything does fall in the tank, the pickup is up off the bottom anyway with a little depression to create a 'decant'/particle collection effect just in case... and then the pump has a fairly tight screen/filter mounted in it before it pumps it down the line... Almost impossible for anything clogging to get to your filter.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    '98 540i '01 540i 13 E70
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    ^^^ Yepfersure what jp said.

Techron or BG are fine products as far as they go but the science says that if you use good gas, and use the high-grades of it, that stuff is loaded with the magic cleaner pixie dust anyway and running tankfuls of good gas repeatedly / all the time is far better than trying to dump some extra additive here and there into cheap gas. Basically the expensive gas has the cleaner stuff pre-loaded.

I had some luck loosening up drippy injectors by "overdosing" my old MB with Techron for a few tankfuls (on top of using high-grade additive-loaded gas) but that was a kinda special story because my granny probably ran that car its entire life on the cheapest gas possible and it would sit all summer with the gas varnishing up. Techron or BG wouldn't do anything useful for our 'good' cars which always get $$$ gas all the time anyway.

And your new fuel filter ain't gonna clog up - put the FF low on your list of life worries. Hey if you got 200k on the car, great, go for it, was probably good logic to replacing it. But the FF on these cars is a giant mega canister that's nearly impossible to clog (as I always say you could stuff a dead rat in one and it would still flow), the guys who replace them every few years like its the 1970's and we have rusty gas tanks and engine-block-mounted fuel pumps are throwing their money away. The fuel pump has a significant screen on it so its nearly impossible for particles to get as far as the filter unless something really bad/wrong has happened.

Frequent FF replacement was back when the gas tank was metal and rusted and had little to no filter/screen before the lines got to the engine bay, which was where the pump lived. Oh and maybe the gas station gear was crappier too. Today, the gas station pump has a super micron filter on it at all times so the gas goes in pure as an angels pee, then your plastic tank doesn't rust, and if anything does fall in the tank, the pickup is up off the bottom anyway with a little depression to create a 'decant'/particle collection effect just in case... and then the pump has a fairly tight screen/filter mounted in it before it pumps it down the line... Almost impossible for anything clogging to get to your filter.
    Thanks for this guys. Always use top-tier gas. My only thoughts for reaching out about this particular product or similar products, was that sometimes I let her run really low on gas, I bought the car with very high miles on it already, and have a company vehicle. Hence [my driver] sits a lot...
    Thanks again

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    So did they change the formulation so you can now put it in your tank?
    When I bought a case of it a few years ago you needed to imject it under pressure into the fuel rail to get it to clean the injectors.
    https://www.bgprod.com/catalog/gasol...ion-apparatus/

My Cars
    1990 bmw 735il
    So did they change the formulation so you can now put it in your tank?
    When I bought a case of it a few years ago you needed to imject it under pressure into the fuel rail to get it to clean the injectors.
    https://www.bgprod.com/catalog/gasol...ion-apparatus/
    That's funny! I've been in auto parts since '96. I'm on my 3rd & 4th bimmers now...
    I've always just bought the can of 44k & poured it into the gas tank.
    I've done this twice a year on all our cars with no problems. In fact, every bmw I've had, even a 248,000 mile E36...has always "fast passed" our emissions here in the Denver area. They put the car on the rollers, hook up the testing equipment & the computer literally shuts down the test in about a minute because it's burning so clean.

Sent from my 2PZC5 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1987 325is, e34, Z3, e39
    Quote Originally Posted by 300kplus View Post
    Thanks for this guys. Always use top-tier gas. My only thoughts for reaching out about this particular product or similar products, was that sometimes I let her run really low on gas, I bought the car with very high miles on it already, and have a company vehicle. Hence [my driver] sits a lot...
    Running low on gas won't have any ill effect, although running it completely dry may cause wear.
    The pump is constantly picking up fuel from the very bottom of the tank and moving it through the system. Any debris in the system will be sucked to the inlet screen during operation, and released (or stick there) when the pump is off. That happens independent of level. It's not as if the pump only sucks from the bottom when the level is low.

Cooling is done by the flowing fuel, not the immersion in fuel, so "running on (almost) empty" has little effect. If the pump is run dry the load and heat generated is lower, so it's not going to instantly overheat. The change in operating condition (higher RPM, shock load, bubbles) will have a worse effect.
    Last edited by djb2; 04-19-2018 at 07:58 PM.

My Cars
    '98 540i '01 540i 13 E70
    Quote Originally Posted by djb2 View Post
    Running low on gas won't have any ill effect, although running it completely dry may cause wear.
    The pump is constantly picking up fuel from the very bottom of the tank and moving it through the system. Any debris in the system will be sucked to the inlet screen during operation, and released (or stick there) when the pump is off. That happens independent of level. It's not as if the pump only sucks from the bottom when the level is low.

Cooling is done by the flowing fuel, not the immersion in fuel, so "running on (almost) empty" has little effect. If the pump is run dry the load and heat generated is lower, so it's not going to instantly overheat. The change in operating condition (higher RPM, shock load, bubbles) will have a worse effect.
    Good to know. Thanks!

My Cars
    Too many
    Quote Originally Posted by jwetz View Post
    That's funny! I've been in auto parts since '96. I'm on my 3rd & 4th bimmers now...
    I've always just bought the can of 44k & poured it into the gas tank.
    I've done this twice a year on all our cars with no problems. In fact, every bmw I've had, even a 248,000 mile E36...has always "fast passed" our emissions here in the Denver area. They put the car on the rollers, hook up the testing equipment & the computer literally shuts down the test in about a minute because it's burning so clean.

Sent from my 2PZC5 using Tapatalk
    If you actually click on the picture of the 44K on the supplied link you'll be taken to another page with a description of the 44K product that includes the instructions that it's poured into the gas tank. That particular web page is somewhat misleading.
    The other two products shown on the initial page do require the use of BG's proprietary machine.

00 740iS
    84 635 (euro)
    88 M6
    84 745i
    88 325iX
    92 850i (6 spd)

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Didn't know there were so many BG44K products.
    PN201, 206, 208, 210, and 260.

208 is the one you pour into the tank.

My Cars
    Too many
    Didn't know there were so many BG44K products.
    PN201, 206, 208, 210, and 260.

208 is the one you pour into the tank.
    BG has a large product line. 44K (208) is just one, 206, 210, 260, etc. are seperate products.
    Their lubricants are very good also.

00 740iS
    84 635 (euro)
    88 M6
    84 745i
    88 325iX
    92 850i (6 spd)