Thread: Car paint resurrectable?

My Cars
    Mk1 VW Cabriolet

Car paint resurrectable?

Hello,

I'm currently in the market for a E30 BMW. I think that I found a nice one for a good price. The car doesn't have any rust or anything. The only thing that would need to be "fixed" on the car is the paint. As I haven't ever buffed and waxed a car before, is it possible to resurrect this paint or would it require a repaint?

Thanks,
    Roman
    ---------------------
    Note from admin: pic does not work, link removed, pls try test forum first

My Cars
    No e30s, again :(
    you don't have a pic up but sometimes you can bring paint back, it just takes work
    No e30s again.

My Cars
    e30s
    Two types of paint: Single stage (enamel) or Base/clear. As long as the single stage has not been polished too much over time it can easily be brought back. But that all depends on your skill level and to the extent you want to go. Water sand and polish give the ultimate finish. However, again if you don't know how much paint is left on the body better to err with caution. it won't look 100% but you can get to 80%. Take your time and to be safe use a DA polisher. Duel action. that way you won't risk burning through the paint.

Base coat clear coat? well it's either shinny and scratched or the clear is peeling off. You can polish the clear but again you could polish through it. That removes the clear and you need to repaint the surface. If the clear is already peeling off then it will need to be repainted. nothing you can do unless you're really handy at blending. It won't look perfect but it's better then an eye sore peeling.

I'd do some research to see what you are comfortable with tackling;

last choice? give to a professional detailer and pay the money. Might be the better choice and you'll be happy with the results.

My Cars
    Mk1 VW Cabriolet

This is what it currently looks like. What is the average cost for a professional detailing job? Also, would the be able to polish the bumpers?
    Last edited by rstrobel1621; 04-20-2018 at 01:43 PM.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 2.8
    I've had good luck recently fine sanding damaged clear coat, one panel at a time, then laying down two or three coats of duplicolor clearcoat. Not perfect, but a big improvement at a very reasonable cost and time investment.

My Cars
    e30 e46
    Quote Originally Posted by rstrobel1621 View Post
    This is what it currently looks like. What is the average cost for a professional detailing job? Also, would the be able to polish the bumpers?
    Your rear bumper looks like neglected original paint....they turn chalky. If there is enough paint left, it can be shined up. The rest of the paint is ether buffed or a respray possible with clear coat. Hit it with a little compound. If the rag comes back red, it's single stage vs. base / clear will show no color.