RM European Auto Parts

Thread: DME flashing tool

My Cars
    2001 e46 323i

DME flashing tool

So I've been annoying 328 Power 04 (who I really thank for his help and putting me on the right track) with questions about flashing for a while now, and I thought I would make a post about this one and leave him alone

I need to dump an OEM (or not) e46 manual 328i "stock" file in my 323i DME after an engine swap, using Winkfp or any other flashing software that would do the trick, and all I have at my disposal so far is the TCP/CDP tool as shown in the pic.

I have ordered an FT232RL/Q cable to be able to do some tuning later on, but it's going to take a while before I get it and I would really like to do it using that tool. Stock file will do as a first step. I don't think the software CD is still available, so basically is it possible to use it as some sort of "passthrough" cable to get the DME communicating with my laptop?

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    Thanks for sharing, we also got some great scan tools in, made by Schwaben. They even offer a 20 pin to 6 pin adapter. Check out the link below. If you're interested or have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us. Thanks!

Schwaben Scan Tools
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    2001 e46 323i
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelican Parts View Post
    Thanks for sharing, we also got some great scan tools in, made by Schwaben. They even offer a 20 pin to 6 pin adapter. Check out the link below. If you're interested or have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us. Thanks!

Schwaben Scan Tools
    Thanks for your feedback. I have already ordered a "basic" cable for laptop to start with (the tool shown belongs to my mechanic) but when I'll need something more professional I'll make sure to browse your website again

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    I do not mean this in any rude way, just in the spirit of improvement.
    Your research is a bit scattered (way too many random sources) and you are getting lost in a lot of details. This will lead you into buying unnecessary things.

Step 1, convert to 328i flash using factory software (WinKFP) and K+DCAN cable (or any other FTDI FT232R cable).

Step 2, use software (such as Galletto1260 software which can be made to work with your above cable), or alternatively, any other aftermarket flashing interface (have your wallet ready), to pull the MS42 flash read for later tuning.

Step 3, Use Romraider or similar to edit your tune. Correct checksums.

Step 4, flash your edited file back using the tools or software in Step 2.

Advice: don't go around doing research on unknown Chinese devices as posted above. Start with ONLY step 1, as if you've never done it before, it will be a good step of introduction. Leave the tuning stuff for later.
    All you want to do is done with just one cable (in step 1) and your windows computer.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    2001 e46 323i
    Quote Originally Posted by 328 Power 04 View Post
    I do not mean this in any rude way, just in the spirit of improvement.
    Your research is a bit scattered (way too many random sources) and you are getting lost in a lot of details. This will lead you into buying unnecessary things.

Step 1, convert to 328i flash using factory software (WinKFP) and K+DCAN cable (or any other FTDI FT232R cable).

Step 2, use software (such as Galletto1260 software which can be made to work with your above cable), or alternatively, any other aftermarket flashing interface (have your wallet ready), to pull the MS42 flash read for later tuning.

Step 3, Use Romraider or similar to edit your tune. Correct checksums.

Step 4, flash your edited file back using the tools or software in Step 2.

Advice: don't go around doing research on unknown Chinese devices as posted above. Start with ONLY step 1, as if you've never done it before, it will be a good step of introduction. Leave the tuning stuff for later.
    All you want to do is done with just one cable (in step 1) and your windows computer.
    Nothing rude here...
    I understand very well what you're saying and that's why I'm leaving the tuning part for later, until I get more knowledgeable on the topic.
    The cable I attached a pic from is not, as far as I know, a chinese product (not that all Chinese products are bad...) but an original/expensive tool used to make Autocom diagnostics, which has been massively copied, yes, by some Chinese manufacturers.

My above question was precisely about step1: I'm wondering if I can get Winkfp (or another software if that's what it takes) to write a stock 328i flash on my DME using that cable.

The cable I ordered will take some 3 weeks to get delivered to me and I was hoping I could enjoy my car as a 328i in the meantime, rather than as some "hybrid" 323i/328i.

P.S.: about my research being scattered, you are right, but it's not really a choice from my part. As I mentioned earlier, when you are completely new to the topic of flashing/tuning, and you get access to so much info and so many different ways to get "from point A to point B", both from a hardware and a software standpoint, it's easy to get lost. I have been spending the last two weeks or so trying to put the pieces together based on the info I could find here and there...
    Last edited by Breeze1; 04-18-2018 at 05:11 PM.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    So do you already have a K+DCAN or INPA cable? Because that's all you need!

The autocom will not work with WinKFP, unless you've got some serious computer skills.

What works with WinKFP (and all other EDIABAS programs):
    -ICOM (L-line, K-line, CAN, MOST, Ethernet) I use this genuine factory/dealer interface often for diag/programming. Universal to all BMWs.
    -OPPS (L-line, K-line, CAN, MOST) Old dealer interface.
    -OMITEC (K-line and CAN) highly portable BMW engineering tool for field work. I use this all the time, I love this tool. Super rare.
    -OBD (INPA K+DCAN cable, other FT232R cables. K-line and CAN, depending on cable features)
    -EDIC (K-line and CAN, some L-line possible). The only passthrough interface approved.
    -CAN interface (Such as Vector, only for CANBUS communication) BMW engineering only.
    -ADS (Mainly for older L-line and some K-line communication) Very old BMW engineering tool.
    -FUNK honorable mention, old interface, not sure what it is.
    -ENET (Ethernet only cars)

Your car is strictly K-line diagnostics, so anything that does L-line or CANBUS is not necessary.
    Last edited by 328 Power 04; 04-18-2018 at 07:26 PM.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    2001 e46 323i
    I don't, unless the TCP/CDP shown is compatible with INPA/K-LINE, which I don't believe it is, since you said Autocom requires great computer skills to work with winkfp (otherwise it would be easy). It's the one i ordered and should get in (I hope) 3 weeks.

And based on that I don't think it would work with JM garage flasher or Galetto either...maybe the proprietary autocom software allows to do a full flash but in my understanding it's more an "advanced" diagnostic tool than anything else.

I was just hoping I could use it basically as a passthrough cable and ignore whatever interface it comes equipped with, but again since it probably doesn't have an FTDI chip (couldn't find info on that on google or their website) it shouldn't be possible to write on the DME with it.

That's a very informative chart thanks

My Cars
    2001 e46 323i
    I could have sent him a thank you pm, but I wanted it to be known that yet another successful DME flash has been performed as of today, thanks to "Doc" Abel aka 328 Power 04, across the Atlantic Ocean, no less

My car is now officially running on a US 328i map, after having swapped the engine a few months ago.

You sir have KNOWLEDGE in that brain of yours
    Last edited by MauiM3Mania; 07-08-2018 at 08:03 PM. Reason: profanity
    "If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters." Alan K. Simpson.
    5spd E46 "3XX": 328i engine, 330i Intake and exhaust, CAI, 323i diff.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Yes, he does. Abel has gone SO far above and beyond, SO many times, to help me, my friends, and the people at this forum. I'll never be able to thank him enough....but I'll keep trying!

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    2001 e46 323i
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwdirtracer View Post
    Yes, he does. Abel has gone SO far above and beyond, SO many times, to help me, my friends, and the people at this forum. I'll never be able to thank him enough....but I'll keep trying!
    1+ on that, and although you don't mention it, you as well are definitely among the very knowledgeable people in this forum who help the rest of us acquire some knowledge and dare to go further in their DIY "journeys" (that's how I see it, like a journey).

So thank you again guys and I hope I'll be able to give some of that back someday
    "If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters." Alan K. Simpson.

My Cars
    2001 e46 323i
    So I thought I would share with you what "happened" after flashing the DME, as I kind of "logged" all the changes I could notice and noted all the differences before/after the flash, in a effort to "document" what actually happens/improves when you run an engine with its dedicated, up to date software. My car's setup is as shown in my signature, and was still running on a 323i software until last saturday, after having swapped the engine a few months ago.

I wanted to do actual logs using Romraider before/after to make a comparison based on actual figures, but for some reason I can't get Romraider to communicate with the OBDII port, although it installed correctly and I tried different communication protocols, using two different cables, and the COM port was correctly setup (COM7 or 6 depending on the cable, as shown in the control panel), and I did load the ecu and logger files following Romraider's instructions pop-up.

Anyway, I ended up using torque pro's "logger" for some parameters (only for the after part) and my "guttometer" for others. Here are things as I noticed them chronologically speaking:

- idle: the very first time I moved the car off after flashing, it was jerky and the car almost stalled (I'm thinking "adaptation values"). Already better the second time but still a bit jerky for a few tens of miles. Now after about 40 miles of road driving, I noticed it first settles at 850rpm/min for a good 10 secs (which didn't happen before), then settles at 700rpm/min, steadily in both cases.

- MAF readings (only "after" since I had not done it before): 3.8g/s when idling at 700rpm/min, which if I understand well is the expected value (1g/liter for each 500rpm); when on WOT in 3rd gear it registers around 150g/s.

- AFR's: I only have a narrow-band gauge hooked to the OEM sensor, so it only indicates if the car is running lean/optimal/rich, without providing actual figures; before the flash I had noticed that the needle had recently started to lean on the "lean side" of optimal (pun intended), although still within the optimal range; before that it was dead in the center of "optimal"; immediately after the flash it was back "in the center", but now after those 40 miles it's back on the "lean side of optimal"

- Exhaust note: immediately after the first startup it was "dead silent" compared to before and I felt like that's what the exhaust note would be, had I not installed the M54B30 IM and a CAI. That's how it would have sounded like if the car was in a 100% stock condition. It sounded gradually louder as I shut it off/started it up several times before moving off, now it's back to its former sound levels, maybe with a little difference in the actual exhaust note

- throttle response: it went from "fast" to "immediate", to the point where it surprised me a few times, at first

- Power delivery: I did not drive hard for about 15 miles to give the DME some time to adapt, but when I first did my reaction was like "huh? it doesn't feel faster, maybe a bit slower even"; it's like there was less torque and no additional power (I think it had to adapt not only to the new program, but even to the induction mods, which it had already adapted to previously); but as I drove it and made a few pulls at WOT, it felt gradually faster and more powerful than before; the difference is now unequivocal

- timing (after only, using torque pro's graph): it doesn't pull timing when on WOT, a few times here and there both ways when driving in what probably is closed loop mode

- gas mileage: could not tell since a lot of WOT pulls were involved, but I guess it will decrease when using "328i's capabilities", since it will inject more fuel than a 323i would in those conditions.

That's about it I guess...
    Last edited by Breeze1; 07-09-2018 at 11:53 AM.