Thread: 1998 E39 Build & help needed thread

My Cars
    1997 BMW 528i

1998 E39 Build & help needed thread

Welcome fellow E39’ers! (Lol)

I’ve acquired ANOTHER 528i (I promise the next one will be a 540i or an M5, one hasn’t popped up yet.)

I’m gonna need some help with this one, there are a couple dents, I have some ideas on getting them out. But I want to ask you guys how you would do it, as I’m sure someone on here has had something similar. The first dent is near the back of the roof, by the rear window if that helps.

So there are the photos of it, hopefully someone will be able to suggest the best way to get those out.

I plan on doing black kidney grilles (not painting those just buying new ones)

I do however want to plasti dip(or something similar) the window trim black. If you have suggestions beside plasti dip that isn’t buying new window trim, I’m all ears. I’ll probably go to the junkyard and try to find an E39 with black window trim or look for one being parted out if I can find it I’ll get it, but I’ll probably plasti dip them.

Door moulding and trim has started to fade a lot, it’s turned to a very very light grey color and I just want them to be black, so any suggestions on making those black (without paint maybe? I don’t mind painting them just think there might be an easier, better way)

I have the headlights. They’re currently on my other car, they were clearer so I just switched them until I get it on the road then I’ll switch back. (Unless I restore the old ones then I’ll just use them cause they’re bound to look better)

I plan on doing euro style on the headlights and tail light and I wanna get LCI headlights eventually, the ones with the circular turn signals.

Angel eyes, Halos, whatever you wanna call them, they will happen eventually. Probably not on this car, but the 540 or M5.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance to everyone that helps out with this project.

Last edited by Mandagon4d; 04-18-2018 at 10:31 AM.

My Cars
    1997 528i/5, 1997 528i/5
    Nice Oxford Green! For the hood dents, you can try a heavy metal spoon covered in a soft cloth to push them out from behind. The roof will probably need paint-less dent removal.

It looks like a really clean chassis to start with. How are the mechanicals?
    Wade

My Cars
    1997 BMW 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by Aubergine View Post
    Nice Oxford Green! For the hood dents, you can try a heavy metal spoon covered in a soft cloth to push them out from behind. The roof will probably need paint-less dent removal.

It looks like a really clean chassis to start with. How are the mechanicals?
    Yeah the Oxford green is gorgeous, unfortunately I don’t think any of the paint shops here will be good enough to match to that paint color..

Heavy metal spoon covered in soft cloth, I’ll give that a shot. Another thread I read said they used a ball joint (can’t remember what size) that fit perfectly in there and knocked them all out really easily.

I was thinking I’d probably have to do paintless dent removal.

The mechanicals are great, everything is good inside and out, quiet as a mouse. However it needs an ignition tumbler (which is gonna be a hassle) and fuel pump/fuel sender.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Actually, Oxford Green, and Oxford Green 2 are colors easily matched, if you have a competent painter. My favorite BMW color by the way. That hood’se gonna need new paint, it looks pretty crunched up, why not save yourself the hassle, find a good used hood and respray it? I’ve seen them go between $50 to $150 in my local Craigslist. Now, this is me, worn out from a day doing bodywork on an Audi, last thing I’d want to do is straighten that hood, so don’t mind me.
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

My Cars
    1997 BMW 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmrMeUpSnotty View Post
    Actually, Oxford Green, and Oxford Green 2 are colors easily matched, if you have a competent painter. My favorite BMW color by the way. That hood’se gonna need new paint, it looks pretty crunched up, why not save yourself the hassle, find a good used hood and respray it? I’ve seen them go between $50 to $150 in my local Craigslist. Now, this is me, worn out from a day doing bodywork on an Audi, last thing I’d want to do is straighten that hood, so don’t mind me.
    Ya know, I didn’t think it was so bad. BMW scene isn’t big here, not E39’s anyway. Can’t find them at junkyards, I’ve see one or two on Craigslist in the past 8 months. There’s a 540 for 4K on there right now and I’m thinking about it.. But it’s silver and I don’t like silver too much. Anyway, I might give it a shot. And if not I’ll do what you suggested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk