Thread: 1995 325i Convertible window issue

My Cars
    1995 BMW 325i convert

1995 325i Convertible window issue

When I am driving sometimes my drivers side window starts going up and down like a 1/4 to a 1/2 inch repeatedly until I lower it just a tiny bit. Then raise it and it doesn't do it for a while, then starts again. Then after I park it occasionally it does the same thing while parked. Almost like it thinks the window isn't sealed and trying to seal itself.
    Anyone else have this problem and how to fix?

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    Your car thinks the door is opening and closing. If you had the dome lights set to come on when the doors opened, and go off when they closed, then you should see them blink on and off as the window goes down then comes back up.

The car lowers the window when the door is opened so that the glass clears the rubber weatherstripping along the underside of the A-pillar (windshield frame). When the door is closed, the window raises after the weatherstrip has been cleared. Your car thinks the door is being opened and closed, so it lowers the window then puts it up again. The window goes down about 10mm (3/8 inch), then goes up again.

I'm not sure where your car gets its Door Open/Closed signal from, my '94 gets it from a switch mounted to the door latch that lives inside of the door. At some point, they moved the door closed switch to the door post that the latch holds onto to keep the door closed. I have it in the back of my head that this change came in the '96 model year, meaning I think your door switch lives inside of the door latch. You have to take the door panel off of the inside of the door to get the latch out. You will also need to pull the door ding guards off of the door so you can get to some screws that you may need to get to. It's not hard to do, but you will break some of the clippy things that hold the door ding strip on, and also that hold the door panel. There is a switch that is on a different plane than you think it should be on, and there is a linkage/lever that goes around the corner to work the switch. All of this stuff has a spring that gets corroded and you can clean it easily enough and get it to work well again. You will need some nylon clips that hold stuff on, but the issue you need to address does not require new parts, it only requires you to clean stuff. It's more work than money. That's the good news.