Thread: Lower thrust arm Nut SEVERLY STRIPPED, rotating in place

My Cars
    2000 BMW 528i

Lower thrust arm Nut SEVERLY STRIPPED, rotating in place

So I have started a front suspension overhaul to get rid of the clunky noises the looseness in the front end. I did a thorough inspection and nearly all arms but my driverside control arm either have play or are completely shot. So I decided I'd just order a whole suspension set (Was easily cheaper than buying specific lemforder parts individually). While dismantling the passenger side, I run into my most feared issue..the nut on the bolt of the ball joint is stripped and it will spin in place without loosening off the bolt. My guess is the prior owner around when she had 40k miles, she was taken to and was worked on at a "recomended shop" then they over tightened the bolts way past recommended torque, thus ending in this tragedy. The car's arms were replaced long ago prior to my ownership because of some serious damage to passenger steering knuckle. The car now has 124k on it, so 80k later and this is what im left to deal with. I'd REALLY rather not take it to a shop to be overcharged. Anybody have some briliant ideas that don't involve a blow torch? Lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2000 BMW 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by PostChris909 View Post
    So I have started a front suspension overhaul to get rid of the clunky noises the looseness in the front end. I did a thorough inspection and nearly all arms but my driverside control arm either have play or are completely shot. So I decided I'd just order a whole suspension set (Was easily cheaper than buying specific lemforder parts individually). While dismantling the passenger side, I run into my most feared issue..the nut on the bolt of the ball joint is stripped and it will spin in place without loosening off the bolt. My guess is the prior owner around when she had 40k miles, she was taken to and was worked on at a "recomended shop" then they over tightened the bolts way past recommended torque, thus ending in this tragedy. The car's arms were replaced long ago prior to my ownership because of some serious damage to passenger steering knuckle. The car now has 124k on it, so 80k later and this is what im left to deal with. I'd REALLY rather not take it to a shop to be overcharged. Anybody have some briliant ideas that don't involve a blow torch? Lol

For those that are wondering, I say without a blow torch simply because I don't have one at the moment. Not that I wouldn't try one. Also I have drenched the thing in pb blaster, Nada.

My Cars
    '89 535i
    Very large channel locks, harbor freight is fine, and try to squeeze the control arm end and plate where it bolts to together as tight as possible and remove nut. The ball joint itself is spinning so if you can do that the nut should come off. I've had to do it myself in the past. hopefully I explained it clear enough

My Cars
    2000 BMW 528i
    Maybe a sawzall to cut them apart. Home depot has a blade that is about 15 dollars but I used it to cut my old the rod off. You have to be cautious not to cut into anything but it can be done.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Yeah, just lop it off, with a saw, cut off wheel, grinder, with a cut off wheel, in an angle, slice the nut, try not to hit the mount, you can do it, once you cut it, the nut should come off.
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

My Cars
    2000 BMW 528i
    Yea there was no better way to get it off other than to just cut the nut right off the bolt. After that it was all nothing but a breeze