Thread: Hey guys I'm looking into the D's from the z4 need some more info on them.

My Cars
    05 Z4 3.0

Hey guys I'm looking into the D's from the z4 need some more info on them.

So I am looking into getting a 3 series d or a 5 series d and just want some pros and cons from owners or knowledgeable people. I know the 3 is more sporty and a tad smaller and such and the 5 is more luxury and boaty (my last car was a 740i so i know in the numbers you get more power and luxury). I am probably going to go for one this summer and want to test a few versions out and find all i can about them before making a decision.
    Also I saw that there is a difference in transmissions from the 335 to the 328 and i was wondering if you can do a tranny swap from the 6 speed to the 8 speed?
    I have driven many beemers(dad owned a 92 3, and my mum got a 00 3series a few years before i got my first car, and my two cars have been beamers) and i like the small sporty feel of the 3 but also having a 7 can attest to the nice amount of space and power a 5 will have. I'll be driving about 36 miles of freeway to and from work and an additional 20 to my SO's house and back to mine so roughly 60 miles a day, I really dug the 328d for what people were saying about the mpg being 40's highway and 27-32ish on streets(I don't particularly do much street driving) and kind of have leaned on that but who knows I might go for the 335d or 535d for a tad more power and torque and forget the few mpgs but idk all on what feedback i get and what more research i do.
    I was looking into a car that is bigger and has better mpg from my Z4(totally love it by the way but I will be driving more time on long stretches of freeway to work, seeing my SO and for recreational so I need more space and mpg haha).

Also I have another post on about me selling my Z4 or trading for a Diesel.
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...4-for-3d-or-5d
    Last edited by HarleyEberly; 04-17-2018 at 10:13 PM.

My Cars
    05 Z4 3.0
    bump
    1st car - 98' 740i -Sold
    2nd car - 05' Z4 3.0 selling/up for trade
    3rd car - Currently looking

My Cars
    Do you have children? Will they, or anyone else be sitting in the backseat regularly? If so, I would definitely get the 5. And transmissions are not interchangeable on these cars, especially the diesels. They have to be able to handle the torque output. Hence the reason there's no manuals in the diesels.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    z3
    328d is more than big enough for some kids in the back and gets awesome mpg

Swapping the transmissions on these cars will be difficult, the auto trans is so integral to the functioning of the car now that itd require a ton of coding... might not even be possible with a reasonable effort

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    05 Z4 3.0
    No children as of yet and probably not for another few years, but will probably have people sitting in the back.

- - - Updated - - -

Cool yeah i have seen many talk about getting such great mileage even better than epa, and i'll be driving more so that will be a blessing. Any more info on the 328d?
    1st car - 98' 740i -Sold
    2nd car - 05' Z4 3.0 selling/up for trade
    3rd car - Currently looking