Thread: 500rpm idle, sounds cammed, stalls. HELP

My Cars
    1997 328is Coupe

500rpm idle, sounds cammed, stalls. HELP

Hello Dima here, this is my first thread ever on any forums, i decided to post a thread to get further knowledge of whats going wrong in my situation.

I had 25 miles left in the gas tank so i went to go fill up at a Safeway gas station, after i filled up i proceed to drive back home (drove fine) got home turned the car off, hour later i come to leave and the car sounded completely different when i turned it on. Low idle at about 500rpms, occasionally stalling at idle, lack of power, dies sometimes while driving, sounds like its cammed, and a bit of smoke coming out the exhaust, but the post cats look fine not shining red. Also there is no check engine light (yes mines works) and traction control light turned on when this happen idk if that has to do with any of this. people say check o2 sensor but I just replaced the pre cat 02 sensors 2 weeks prior b4 this and the car ran great. After doing a ton of research, people say it can be spark plugs, MAF sensor, CCV aka ICV, vacuum leak etc. I have not changed the spark plugs since i owned this car (only put 12k miles). Doing some research people are saying to replace the CCV.

Correct me if im wrong but since i had 20 miles left in the gas tank and then filled up, i went to a friends house, can some how poor gas effect this? because my friends house is less then 20 miles away, so im guessing that gas burned off and the new gas (safeway) probably made this problem happen.
    Any advice will be greatly appreciated, thank you

My Cars
    N/A
    Might be the pump picked up some crap from the bottom of the tank. How old is the fuel filter?

My Cars
    1997 328is Coupe
    not sure, bought the car at 180k its currently 192k, i didn't run a maintenance record on the vehicle but its the one that came with car im sure it was at least replaced once.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3/2/5
    Quote Originally Posted by Dima1999 View Post
    not sure, bought the car at 180k its currently 192k, i didn't run a maintenance record on the vehicle but its the one that came with car im sure it was at least replaced once.
    Better to verify and confirm with e36's rather than being presumptuous. The absolute filth that came out of my filter at 110k (orignal) was almost a crime against humanity

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mslevin is offline Have you checked RealOEM? BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E36, E38, E46
    Check fuel pressure at the rail. You can rent a test kit from most auto parts stores.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    Could be a number of things, but it wouldn't hurt to change the fuel filter.

Similar thing happened to my car and I ended up changing the o2 sensor and throttle position sensor and one of those fixed it, but my check engine light was coming on randomly

My Cars
    2009 BMW X5 Xdrive35d
    Hi,

As mentioned could be a buggered fuel pump, happened to me, ran my e36 low on petrol, the next day the fuel pump gave out. It left me stranded at the entrance to a car park. I started the car by tapping the fuel tank while cranking it, and it got me 1min up the car park before it stalled again.
    The continual cranking trying to start also killed my starter motor and battery, they were all a bit old, beyond their dates.. This was at about 220k km.
    Check the fuel pressures as mentioned if you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1997 328is Coupe
    Update, just replaced the fuel filter, no progress same problem. Some people say to change the sparkplugs, if that doesn't fix the problem should I check for vacuum leaks?
    but Their brand new pre cat 02 sensors, should I look into changing the cat o2 sensor?
    Last edited by Dima1999; 04-19-2018 at 03:45 AM.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328i
    Vacuum leaks are one of the most common cause of rough idle in my experience.

You said your traction light also came on when this happened. Check the elbow going to the throttle body. The hose for the idle air valve also hooks into this elbow. Check it out too.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328i
    Another thought that occurred to me.

Traction control systems on the 6 cylinder cars includes a second throttle body that closes to block air when the traction light comes on. If your light is on, perhaps you have a faulty asc throttle body that closes at idle. Try unplugging it

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    It could be any number of things, starting with bad gas from the gas station. Sometimes the tanker truck puts diesel in the Regular tank, this will make your car run like crap. It will make everybody's car run like crap, so you will want to isolate that problem out of the equation.

Is the Check Engine light on? If no, does it come on with the key in Position II (RUN), before engine start? If no, you have at least two problems. If the light is on with the engine running, what are the codes?

My Cars
    1997 328is Coupe
    Update: found out the problem which led to a bigger problem, started to look for vacuum leaks couldn't really find any. Decided to inspect spark plugs, took of plastic cover then noticed cylinder 3 coil pack is exploded... like teared apart, bought 1 brand new coil pack and 6 brand new spark plugs (NGK bk6re). all screwed in nice expect on cylinder 3 where the coil exploded, and looking deeper i noticed that my thread is gone! its like the misfire caused the spark plug to shoot out into the coil pack! there is only 1 thread in that spark plug chamber so its screws tight then un tight. i think i have 2 options 1) take off my head block and take it to a machine shop a new spark plug thread or 2) RIP... i got it screw on barely by the last thread only to get it home, but i'am sure this is the problem boys. I heard about timeserts and helicoil but i'm worried ill drill not exactly flush (straight angel), any advice or is it RIP. ( i got the car for $1500 and put $4000 on top already alot of money into the car idk if even worth to do it, cheap car) the head gasket kit will cost about $200 a machine shop $100-$300 plus special tools and extensions, and all that beautiful labor to take off the head block...