Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E36 connect & program central lock key

My Cars
    1996 E36 328 Coupe

E36 connect & program central lock key

My car is equipped with central locking systembut I never had any wireless key for locking/unlocking it and always used the master key for locking/unlocking/starting. I bought inside rear mirror coming from another E36 with alarm system, along with a connector and 9 cables as on the attached picture. 1 cable (white-red) is something shorter, 1 (red-green) is about 2,5 meters longer than other 7 which are about the same length. I guess these need to be connected to comfort module Grundmodul IV but how many of them need to be connected, exactly where in the module and which ones? I got a wireless key with fully working electronics which I swapped to another HU58 empty key without any teeth. The empy HU58 key with swapped electronic has been copied and I can now lock/unlock/start the car with it but how to connect these cables and program the key? EWS is set to off and DME is re-programmed to EWS off. Any tutorial? TIA.

My Cars
    1996 E36 328 Coupe
    F5. No one knows?

My Cars
    1996 E36 328 Coupe
    Really? Nobody installed?

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    There are no pictures attached to your post for us to reference.

My Cars
    1996 E36 328 Coupe
    Strange cause I can see the picture... anyway, here is a link to it. Do you see it now? https://i.imgur.com/p6bHtl0.jpg
    Last edited by bl00keRs; 08-06-2019 at 05:42 AM.

My Cars
    6/96 318is
    Quote Originally Posted by bl00keRs View Post
    That one looks empty to me:

% ls -s p6bHtl0.jpg
    0 p6bHtl0.jpg

My Cars
    1996 E36 328 Coupe
    Empty what? Cause I can see the picture in all my posts...
    Last edited by bl00keRs; 02-29-2020 at 11:38 AM.

My Cars
    6/96 318is
    The empty file appears to be a bug in the version of Firefox I am running.

None of the contacts on that harness mate with the connectors of a ZKE IV. From the looks of it, the harness was made from wires salvaged from an original equipment harness. Note the (sticky?), black adhesive residue from the cloth tape (not cable ties) that bound the wires in the harness they were originally from.

I don't think I have ever seen an AMP ELO connector so close to a chassis feed through grommet. Your guess is probably better than mine as to what the harness was for.
    Last edited by johnf; 04-29-2018 at 09:11 AM.

My Cars
    1996 E36 328 Coupe
    Hello and thank you for your time. The inside mirror + the harness is coming from another E36 which was equipped with alarm from factory. The seller has 39 positive opinions and no one negative or neutral so I believe I got the right stuff. His description is that this stuff is coming right off of a donator E36 with all stuff except the electronics, uncutted, so I trust him and this harness is the correct one. The cables has some glue on them and the black tape is my solution to hold them nice and the zip ties is also mine. The black tape at the back of 1 or 2 cables is just to isolate them because they are a little bit damaged there but all cables lead power right from the connector. It looks like genuine to me. How to connect this shit. I spent 2 weeks and the harness is behind my glovebox nice waiting ready to connect. I believe it's all about 2--3 cables and re-programm the electronics on which I need a tutorial for as well. Thank you.

Last edited by bl00keRs; 02-29-2020 at 11:38 AM.

My Cars
    6/96 318is
    So, I compared some of your harness's wire colors against my paper copy of the 1996 Prüfanleitung Fahrzeugelektrik/elektronik, sheets 6610.0-00 and -01 (infrarot-Schließ-System (IR)), and the colors look good. I bet if you were to search the net for something like "bmw e36 etm gb" you might find what I am looking at, in English.

If the car did not originally come with an infrared remote control, you will likely find it is missing some or most of the comb terminals your harness's metal sleeves pushed onto. If you want to be very proper, you can probably still buy from BMW, the high-density socket contacts, metal combs and plastic comb sleeves: to retrofit those bits missing from the car. Alternatively, you can snip off selected sleeves, splice into the existing wiring, and splice on socket contacts and add them to the ZKE/ZVM connector(s).

The specifics will depend on whether you have a ZKE or ZVM, and what other options the car has. I remember BMW offered a kit for retrofitting a remote control, for which they published somewhat to mostly scrutable installation instructions (Einbauanlietung EBA). The kit may not be exactly the same as what you have, but the instructions would be a good start.

In any case, you probably have a little reverse engineering work awaiting you.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    here is the German language Pruefanleitung Fahrzeugelektrik/elektronik for model year 1998 for download in case you need it, it is from MotorTalk https://www.motor-talk.de/forum/akti...hmentId=739483
    takes some time till it shows up due to the big file size.
    English http://www.gbnetwork.co.uk/bmw/downloadetm.html

BMW EBA Online - Installation Instructions https://bmweba.com/ check under E36 if the EBA is in there.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    1996 E36 328 Coupe
    I don't know if the car originally was equipped with infrared remote key or not. I only got 1 master key without any electronics in it (except the EWS chip inside) when I bought this car and not even inside mirror was the original BMW but some cheap 5 dollar crap. Guys on another forum told me to buy the original BMW infrared inside mirror from another E36, E46 or E39, whole harness and the remote key with working electronic for swapping it to an empty HU58 key which also needs the teeth on it to be copied from my master key to work with my locks and all it is done now. My car is equipped with ZKE Grundmodul IV and I can close front windows (Coupe) and the roof with master key by holding it in lock position a second or two. They said it should be easy task... but no more help from them anymore...

Thank you all for your time. I will check these files.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Usually the comb connectors are all there. They should be. Just more empty tabs to slide a new spade connector onto.

There is a big comb connectot junction box left of the frame that holds the ZKE.

The mirror harness looks good.

There are 9 wires going to the mirror on an E36 with factory remote control.

Car's side:

+12v battery (pin 2) (Color: Red/Green)
    +12v switched (3) (Violet/White)
    +12v reverse light (1) Blue/Yellow
    Ground (10) (brown)
    Lock signal (6) Blue/Red/Yellow
    Unlock signal (5) White/Red/Yellow
    Interior lights on (7) Brown/Red/Yellow
    RxD (diagnostics wire) (8) White/Yellow
    TxD (diagnostics wire) (4) White/Violet
    Pin 9 is not used (panic mode on US cars)

p.s. it's an RF system (434mhz for EU), not infrared.
    1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiß III on Schwarz • German spec • 1 of 12
    SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • OBC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL

IG:
    https://www.instagram.com/iflok/

My Cars
    6/96 318is
    Quote Originally Posted by MParallel View Post
    ... p.s. it's an RF system (434mhz for EU), not infrared.
    I was perhaps being a little too lazy so the OP could find it in the ETMs which describes it as an (IR) infrared system. BMW just called it a remote control in the E36 price list.

I can only find this aftermarket-like remote control kit in the EBA pages. It was probably cheaper and easier to have just one kit for many different models, and have a dealer adapt it to the car.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Yeah that looks to be the dealer installed version. Not sure if that is US only.

I've seen the dealer installed DWA I/II/III/IV/V system EBA's.

To be it seems easier to retrofit the factory system. You need to install most of the same components. Just include the mirror and no base module is needed. Just code the ZKE for the factory alarm settings.

I added a Z3 roadster interior monitor (SDR) to mine to keep it OEM and not have those ugly ultrasonic mics at the A-pillars.

IG:

My Cars
    6/96 318is
    Quote Originally Posted by MParallel View Post
    Yeah that looks to be the dealer installed version. Not sure if that is US only....
    It looks a lot like a remote-locking/unlocking-only variant of the European-dealer-installed DWA systems. The pre-wiring on U.S. cars would make much of the instructions both redundant and needlessly challenging.

I've seen the dealer installed DWA I/II/III/IV/V system EBA's.

To me it seems easier to retrofit the factory system....
    That is my impression too. The DWA V retrofit kit includes a bag of one-position, connector pair shells, to make splice after splice after splice.

I added a Z3 roadster interior monitor (SDR) to mine to keep it OEM and not have those ugly ultrasonic mics at the A-pillars.
    I take it, you already have the tilt sensor.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Quote Originally Posted by johnf View Post
    ...I take it, you already have the tilt sensor.
    Yes, that come standard with option #302. The interior monitor not. It's not mandatory in Germany and although it's still listed as a Class 3 alarm, Dutch certification demands an interior monitor. Too bad we don't have panic mode.

I could've faked the interior monitor when the guy doing the check was waving his arms around. We had a nice discussion on whether or not it was Class 3, while I had a certificate from BMW saying exactly that.

My current insurer does not require an alarm certificate so it doesn't really matter, but it's a cool upgrade to have all monitors and working. Luckely the Z3 and E36 share most of the wiring and body modules.

Since it's on the same circuit as the tilt monitor, both can be deactivated by the second lock press after locking initially.

IG:

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 Roadster
    I did remote lock retrofit to my Z3 with GM IV module. The connector you are locking for is X1143 and is behind panels over drivers feet.
    X1143 is connected to GM IV and holds the 9 cables. I bought a 433 mhz mirror and keys from ebay. You can buy cable from mirror to connector X1143 from Bmw. Connected it all and coded keys like original and it all worked right away.
    I then continued and installed all alarm parts, cables allready in place. But I had to change my GM IV module from ”low” to ”high”. Everything works fine.

My Cars
    1996 E36 328 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by GunStar View Post
    I did remote lock retrofit to my Z3 with GM IV module. The connector you are locking for is X1143 and is behind panels over drivers feet.
    X1143 is connected to GM IV and holds the 9 cables. I bought a 433 mhz mirror and keys from ebay. You can buy cable from mirror to connector X1143 from Bmw. Connected it all and coded keys like original and it all worked right away.
    I then continued and installed all alarm parts, cables allready in place. But I had to change my GM IV module from ”low” to ”high”. Everything works fine.
    Thank you for your answer. I really appreciate it.
    I guess that the X1144 connector is the only one thing I need to buy to get this central locking thing to work? Is it simply to buy it, put all cables into it, connect it to the GM module, possibly program key(s) and voila?
    Any reference of how should mirror cables be connected into the connector then? It looks like this is a 3-pin connector, and there are more cables to connect from the mirror? Can't go and check how many they're at the moment, but I'm sure there are 7 or 9 cables going from mirror.
    Last edited by bl00keRs; 02-18-2020 at 09:38 PM.

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by bl00keRs View Post
    Thank you for your answer. I really appreciate it.
    I guess that the X1144 connector is the only one thing I need to buy to get this central locking thing to work? Is it simply to buy it, put all cables into it, connect it to the GM module, possibly program key(s) and voila?
    Any reference of how should mirror cables be connected into the connector then? It looks like this is a 3-pin connector, and there are more cables to connect from the mirror? Can't go and check how many they're at the moment, but I'm sure there are 7 or 9 cables going from mirror.
    I think your cable is for an older model. When is your car build?
    I think you better buy a cable from BMW that is specified for your model. Mine cable has a 10 pin connector but there’s only 9 cables in place. I paid about 15€ for the cable at BMW, it came complete with all connectors you need inclusive rubber gromet.
    Do you know what mirror and keys you have? There are 315mhz in US and 433mhz in Europe and there is also infra-red system.
    E5C7A5F3-1152-4E01-A7DF-09BD1D904926.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    1996 E36 328 Coupe
    Shouldn't it fit any European E36 equipped with GM IV module? 🙄 The mirror and cable harness (9 cables) as pictured below was picked from an European E36 (don't know which one) and this is what I've bought back in time, to equip my car with locking/unlocking it wireless.

My car is an E36 328 Coupé from December 1995, VIN ER40144. It's factory equipped with GM IV module and central lock by key (I've got only 1 key for this car when I bought it, without any buttons on it, only for locking/unlocking and starting the car, and EWS chips inside it) - both doors and trunk is locking/unlocking when turning key in doors, as well as all 4 electronic windows and sunroof are closing by holding the key in lock position. I've bought separately a 3 button key with working electronic in it from another European E36, except the mirror and cable harness. Then, I've bought a flat key with the 3 button electronic cover (without electronic in it) from AliExpress, copied my own key to it (from the key which was supplied with the car), and then I put the electronic part in it, so the key will fit in doors, can start the car with it as well as unlock/lock it wireless. EWS isn't working in this car and DME is flashed to skip EWS. I've got 2 radio/antennas in both C pillars. Tell me if you need more information about my car.

My Cars
    1996 E36 328 Coupe
    Any help?

My Cars
    325is
    I don't know of any E36 with the mirror Light. That was an E46 update in the US. As for US cars, the alarm remote box was just a plug in under the glove box. There may have been wires for a sensor or led or switch. BMW alarms were expensive so some people have aftermarket systems where the wires were spliced in or added on. Your photos do not show the BMW alarm module.

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...ighlight=alarm

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    His is integrated into the GM IV, so no separate module needed. All GM4’s can be coded for the EU factory alarm.

Yes E36’s didn’t get the mirror with the alarm led, but is an easy retrofit.

The EU alarm/keyless entry uses 9 out of 10 pins. Pin9 is not used. This is the panic alarm trigger, but is not available in EU 343mhz mirrors. It’s in the hardware, so can’t be coded.

I used this pin to trigger the mirror alarm led.

IG:

My Cars
    1996 E36 328 Coupe
    It looks like a moderator edited my earlier #22 post without telling me about this? I've posted pictures of my setup Or is it just me not seeing them? However, here they are.

https://imgur.com/122d16n
    https://imgur.com/Q6hz3G0
    https://imgur.com/GObMSOf
    https://imgur.com/4SlwfSR
    https://imgur.com/ff79c4Q
    https://imgur.com/dxP2Vj7

This car has never had BMW factory alarm and I'm 100% sure about that. It was equipped with an aftermarket alarm system connected to the GM IV module with a separate alarm "key". I can see it by couple of cut, solded & isolated cables close to the GM IV module, an alarm brand sticker on the inside of B pillar, a "key" but no alarm system whatsoever. That key isn't working, though I've changed batteries in it. Interior of my car is cleaned (except pedals, hand brake, shifter knob and steering wheel). I'm working on this car and I guess that I would see original alarm there, but there's not. I guess that the aftermarket alarm system has been picked up before the car has been sold to me.

Do you have an electrical diagram of how these 9 cables needs to be connected into the GM module, sir? Or maybe would you like post a picture or tell me where in the GM IV module they need to be connected into?

I've everything what needs, I guess... the mirror with radio/IR(?) sensor, cable harness (both coming from the same car) and working electronic to program it when everything is connected.
    I was asking about stuff I need before I bought them (on an European forum), and everyone told me that I need the mirror, cable harness and working electronics to swap it into my key so it fit to the door locks and ignition... so I've bought everything what needs?

Do you think that these 2 modules/antennas/amplifiers in both C pillars has anything to do with the central locking or they just there for rear window defogger and radio antennas + an radio amplifier?

https://imgur.com/GrB9U9a
    https://imgur.com/eF985ol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast