Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread: e90 M3 Individual Audio - burst of static from speakers, car off

My Cars
    e90 M3,X5,e46 racer

e90 M3 Individual Audio - burst of static from speakers, car off

So seems this is an issue on some systems. I just got this car, and occasionally, there is a loud bust of static from the speakers .... car is off, no key. I open the door and it sounds like a waterfall. Turn on radio, works fine, but static still there. Or a loud hiss overtop of the audio, again, turn car off, it persists, so I don't think it's the headunit

I do not have iDrive, just the Individual tophifi audio.

Some have said it's the fiber optic cable connections ... some say it's the amp or headunit (though I don't think so since it does it with the radio off).

Is there any definitive answer on what the issue might be? I have no problem taking the car apart, but would like a place to start checking.

Worst case scenario, can this system be upgraded? Since it's fiber optic, is there an amp that can be dropped in in place of the stock amp? Since the gongs and other sounds come through the speakers, where do they originate ... at the headunit, or are they piped in via the fibre optic cable? Can the headunit be replaced with something relatively factory looking?
    Last edited by ScotcH; 04-17-2018 at 11:10 AM.
    Check out the 8legs Racing page: https://www.facebook.com/8legsRacing/

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Definitely the amp. Why? The amp has electrical power at all tines. It receives a 12VDC “turn on” signal from the head unit when the head unit is on. Somehow the amp is turning itself on when you wake up the car. Check the amp area for water damage.

My Cars
    Agree that it's the amp. There may be water damage, or maybe not.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    e90 M3,X5,e46 racer
    Pulled out the amp ... yup, it has been taken apart in the past, and there were dry packets (like you get in electronics) in the compartment ... some previous super mechanic obviously tired to dry it out. It's working now, let's see how it stays working, lol. I'm guessing the taillight seal leaked at some point?

Assuming I need to replace the amp at some point, would the Logic7 amp drop in? It's WAY easier to find. The individual is impossible
    Check out the 8legs Racing page: https://www.facebook.com/8legsRacing/

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    I’d definitely test the trunk’s ability to keep water out. Use a garden hose with a nozzle. Start at low point and work your way up.

Static could be a bad or corroded connection. If the amp is working fine other than the static, you could open it and clean both sides of the connectors.

My Cars
    I really don't think the amps are interchangeable. But I've been wrong in the past.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician