Thread: Running Rich with Check Engine Light - No fault codes

My Cars
    1989 BMW 735i

Running Rich with Check Engine Light - No fault codes

Just put my M30 back together, finally finished rebuilding the head. What a mission to get the whole thing back in one piece! Lesson learned, next time just take the engine out.

Anyway, all up and running (sort of) - check engine light is on but it's not steady, it blinks every so often which is kind of odd. I'll try share a video. Stomp test is giving 1444 (no fault). Idle is okay but engine stalls sometimes putting it into gear. Haven't driven it beyond the driveway so I'm not entirely sure if the ECU is still re-learning or if it's related to the Check engine light. Plugs are all carbon fouled so I am thinking something isn't right with the air fuel mix. Perhaps just revving it standing still whilst breaking the cam in just isn't giving it enough head to burn off the carbon.. although that doesn't explain the CEL.

How would you progress further than that?

As part of the rebuild:
    New Cam & valvetrain
    New Fuel Pressure Regulator
    New Intake gaskets and boots
    All vacuum lines refitted

So I am fairly confident I can rule out vacuum leaks, if anything that should give me a too lean condition. My car doesn't have O2 sensors so that leaves the AFM, Injectors and ICV, possibly TPS?

I've had the battery out for two years, which is the only reset method I can see. Is there any other way to reset the CEL to see if it comes back?

As an aside I thought I may not have got the headgasket on right as it seems to be pusing a lot of white smoke at higher RPMs but there's no deposits on the plugs, bubbling in the coolant or water in the oil. I am hoping the gasket is good and it's just taking a while to boil off a lot of water in the exhaust that's gotten in over the two years of sitting. Worst case scenario end up finding out how good I am at taking apart the M30 the 2nd time.

As far as trying to read the the fault code - I have seen a few Carsoft/INPA type readers on the likes of Aliexpress, has anyone tried them with the older BMWs? They're not horrifically expensive so I've thought about getting one. If not the one hung lo chinese versions, what's a known working brand? I tried building my own K-line/RS232 adapter years ago. It was not successful
    Last edited by Auzeras; 04-17-2018 at 04:12 AM.

My Cars
    1993 E32 740iL
    Have you checked the fuel pressure, could the fuel pressure regulator be incorrect or faulty.
    Have you checked the AFM is not faulty/sticking, they have a flap that moves if my memory serves correctly, or the spring inside may have become weak and it is traveling too far, over fuelling.
    It could also be faulty injectors, not spraying correctly, causing an incomplete burn, though the cel flashing is weird, I would start by checking the easy stuff first, like fuel pressure, afm, all connectors and the work you have done before disassembling again

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    as for software check/ask here in the forum diagnostic software https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/f...ostic-Software
    Paul Axford from NZ has some info how to check the M30 AFM potentiometer and checking the engine sensors http://paulaxford.com/html/bmw730i/index.htm
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!