Thread: Clutch/Flywheel Suggestions (2018)

My Cars
    1994 325is M3 Clone

Question Clutch/Flywheel Suggestions (2018)

I see a lot of people recommending clutches from like 5-6 years ago and I want to see what people are buying and upgrading to in 2018. Stock S50 with 100k miles with a slightly more aggressive tune @ 7k miles altitude. Best suggestions? Thanks!

P.S. Already have rear main seal ordered and ready for replacing so don't even go there

- - - Updated - - -

Replacing clutch due to blown out rear main seal which soaked the thing in oil.. When I get on it in 2nd it just smokes If anyone was curious.

My Cars
    1999 M3 and 1990 Jetta G
    JB Racing flywheel bimmerworld sells + E34 M5 sprung clutch seems to still be a very good option.

And then there's the F1 Racing steel flywheel that lots of people have had success with.

Or just stick to stock DMF and stock clutch.
    TRM Coilovers 670F/895R | BBS LM | Corsa RSC36

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    I use a Southbend clutch and AASCO single mass flywheel. No complaints.

I’ve heard decent things about the eBay stuff, however the TOB that comes with those kits are usually trash

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1994 325is M3 Clone
    Quote Originally Posted by propcar View Post
    JB Racing flywheel bimmerworld sells + E34 M5 sprung clutch seems to still be a very good option.
    I dont see a pressure plate with the e34 m5 clutch on bimmerworld. Anywhere else it can be purchased? Or is there no need?
    Last edited by probioticx; 04-18-2018 at 01:57 AM.

My Cars
    1994 325is M3 Clone
    Was looking into some reviews for these FX clutch kits and see that they are pretty well rounded in terms of quality for the price.

https://gripforce.com/fx-racing-stag...5i-528i-m3-z3/

Any feedback on these?

My Cars
    1994 325is M3 Clone
    Bump.

My Cars
    1999 M3 and 1990 Jetta G
    Quote Originally Posted by probioticx View Post
    I dont see a pressure plate with the e34 m5 clutch on bimmerworld. Anywhere else it can be purchased? Or is there no need?
    I'd ask bimmerworld, they can answer best I think.
    TRM Coilovers 670F/895R | BBS LM | Corsa RSC36

My Cars
    97 M3
    I have the UUC lightweight flywheel and E34 M5 clutch combo. It's held up well on the street and track, aside from the increased noise. UUC recommends a half-and-half mix of ATF and 75W-140 (some other forums posts have said 75W-90) to address the increased gear rattle, but this mix makes shifts super crunchy when it gets cold; I run factory-spec with 100% ATF and just put up with the noise.
    Last edited by cmoody; 05-02-2018 at 09:21 PM. Reason: phrasing
    '97 M3/2/5 Lux, AW/Modena, ~225k, many mods and lots of grip
    Please lift when giving a point by

My Cars
    1997 M3, 2dr/5spd*
    I had the UUC/E34M5 clutch combo installed in 2004 and have been happy with it. Clutch was recently replaced after being daily driven (until I retired), and had many autocross runs on it...still autocrossing but no longer a DD.
    Estoril/Modena '97 M3...sold for the second time.
    ------------------------------------
    You only live once, and I'm running out of time...

MauiM3Mania is online now Observer/Master Skeptic Moderator
    My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene V View Post
    I had the UUC/E34M5 clutch combo installed in 2004 and have been happy with it. Clutch was recently replaced after being daily driven (until I retired), and had many autocross runs on it...still autocrossing but no longer a DD.
    Same UUC combo here. It was installed in 2002 at the dealership while the car was still under the CPO coverage and the five speed (which is yours now Gene) had detent issues. Stayed through the euro swap and is still going strong. Admittedly, the mileage is low and I treat the drive train with care. If you want to hear input shaft rattle, come on by and listen to the euro six speed with this LWF.
    04M3 TiAg 69k slick-top 3 pedal
    99M3 Cosmos 61k S50B32 euro 6Spd

88M3 AW 43k miles Project FS

WTB: 3.5" Eurosport/Conforti CAI

My Cars
    98M3/4/5 SpeedMiata
    After reading/following the forum for years, this seems to be one mod that consistently goes awry. I don't find anything lacking with the stock set-up and so stuck with it because I wasn't willing to roll the dice with chatter or the "blue flywheel of death" (sorry to bring that up!). I prolly shoulda done the same with the suspension rebuild, too.
    Current:
    98 M3/4/5 Alpine/Magma
    05 MazdaSpeed Miata

Sold:

00 Honda VFR
    99 528iT M/T
    98 M3/4/5 Arctic/Dove
    94 R-package Miata
    89 Honda NT650

87 325is turned SpecE30

My Cars
    95 M3 coupe, 97 M3 sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by Ex36 View Post
    After reading/following the forum for years, this seems to be one mod that consistently goes awry. I don't find anything lacking with the stock set-up and so stuck with it because I wasn't willing to roll the dice with chatter or the "blue flywheel of death" (sorry to bring that up!). I prolly shoulda done the same with the suspension rebuild, too.
    My thoughts exactly. The stock flywheel and clutch are a great match unless you're pushing high hp and need more holding power.

For an S50 at stock-ish hp levels my absolute favorite setup is a LUK DMF073 flywheel combined with regular old Sachs M3 clutch. The DMF073 has a couple pounds of material machined off the outer inertia ring compared to the DMF037 that comes with the car. It's still a dual mass which keeps gearbox rattle to a minimum. Quicker revs + stock driveability and low noise. 37.4lbs total package weight for flywheel and clutch. Super smooth. DMFs aren't exactly cheap though.

Quote Originally Posted by MauiM3Mania View Post
    Same UUC combo here. It was installed in 2002 at the dealership while the car was still under the CPO coverage and the five speed (which is yours now Gene) had detent issues. Stayed through the euro swap and is still going strong. Admittedly, the mileage is low and I treat the drive train with care. If you want to hear input shaft rattle, come on by and listen to the euro six speed with this LWF.
    You want input shaft rattle? Here's input shaft rattle My current setup is a Tilton OT-II twin disc. 8lb steel flywheel, 8lb clutch assembly. This is a full race clutch - way over the top on noise (especially with no interior). It would be horrendous on the street. However I gotta say the UUC stage 2 I had years ago induced similar gearbox noises, just at at a reduced volume. The rattle was annoying as hell to me at stoplights. How much noise you get varies a lot from transmission to transmission.

MauiM3Mania is online now Observer/Master Skeptic Moderator
    My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    Quote Originally Posted by NoLastName View Post
    You want input shaft rattle? Here's input shaft rattle
    LOL. My car is road focused and I certainly could live with less!
    04M3 TiAg 69k slick-top 3 pedal
    99M3 Cosmos 61k S50B32 euro 6Spd

88M3 AW 43k miles Project FS

WTB: 3.5" Eurosport/Conforti CAI

My Cars
    95 M3, 87 535is
    Quote Originally Posted by propcar View Post
    I'd ask bimmerworld, they can answer best I think.
    http://www.bimmerworld.com/Driveline...t-Stage-I.html

This BW kit is probably the best value for the money if you want to go to a lightweight flywheel.

Make sure to get your flywheel and pressure plate balanced before installing! Even if the manufacturer says its been balanced! (ask me or dreamdrivedrift how we know )
    Last edited by jayjaya29; 05-04-2018 at 10:31 PM.

My Cars
    BMW 97 M3 3.2 Euro
    Quote Originally Posted by jayjaya29 View Post
    http://www.bimmerworld.com/Driveline...t-Stage-I.html

This BW kit is probably the best value for the money if you want to go to a lightweight flywheel.

Make sure to get your flywheel and pressure plate balanced before installing! Even if the manufacturer says its been balanced! (ask me or dreamdrivedrift how we know )
    What every combo you go with get them balanced.
    Then enjoy

NeilM is offline Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    96 M3, 15 Golf R, 18 Q5
    Quote Originally Posted by MauiM3Mania View Post
    Same UUC/E34 M5 combo here since 2005, except that I sourced a Sachs Racing pressure plate with higher clamping force. Pedal effort is only slightly manly. Bulletproof ever since. Throttle blips are nice and quick compared to stock.

I have a Euro 6-speed also — but no Euro motor to go with that, dammit, :–(
    And yes it rattles like a sonofabitch. But mine's a track car, so not a big deal.

For street use I'd be inclined to try one of those lighter than stock but heavier than lightweight steel flywheels.

Neil