Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dealer Trade In - Are They Fair

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i
    We're in danger of war, Puerto Rico still doesn't have power, teachers are striking, we can't figure out taxes or immigration.......... don't we have better things to argue about?

My Cars
    2004 M3
    Please don't trade in good cars to a dealer!!! Seriously, just stop doing this, guys. They don't give a damn if the car is nice or you have records at all. It's just an old stupid car to them with no special value/interest. They could buy a similar car at an auction and feel they got a better deal and sell it for the same money. These guys are all the same. Dealer trades are for almost new pedestrian/boring cars and shitboxes. It's almost impossible to buy a decent enthusiast car now because people do this to save a few phone calls and meeting a few people on craigslist. I'm sorry but as someone who has a much tougher work week than probably 90% of people here I can't abide by that thinking so I know a lot of you old, retired guys could spare time showing a car. If it was about time and not money, you wouldn't have made such a big deal about bartering for a whopping $400 either lol. For the record, I think it's great that you did get some negotiating room.

Your car is nice and will command a premium over the tax incentive so let it go to a good home and let someone actively looking for a good car with records catch a break for once instead of sifting through BS. Give someone the opportunity to get a great vehicle with no games and get your money too. Honestly, at this rate it is better to buy a car at auction for cheaper than private party given they often have warranties and no one has a clean car with records for sale privately anymore (at least in GA).

You will have days where you miss the M Roadster, but unlike several people here, I will admit that the cayman S is a much, much better car as I have driven my father's extensively over the years. It sounds like you found a great car. Don't worry about the dealer.

My Cars
    broads & booze!!!
    I wanted to delete this thread because or went to a very low level of stupidity.

Thank you neopolymath for reviving my faith in humanity. I will sell it to someone who appreciates it.

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.3 & 14 allroad
    Guys, the OP got a deal he's happy with. Stop arguing, and let him enjoy his new toy! I think you'll miss the M, but the Cayman is fun too! Go out and enjoy!

My Cars
    z3
    Be nice, people

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    broads & booze!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by SounderMN View Post
    Guys, the OP got a deal he's happy with. Stop arguing, and let him enjoy his new toy! I think you'll miss the M, but the Cayman is fun too! Go out and enjoy!
    It is funny how the thread started with a question on the spread between what i was offered (after I set up the purchase, having driven my sedan to the dealer, and no mention of a trade before i agreed to the purchase price) and what i should/could expect to get if I sell it privately. I am sorry that i let it rapidly degenerate by responding to others insistence that there was a plant in the dealership to rip me of on the car.

Here are pictures of the M https://photos.shutterfly.com/story_...6a/10215540746 It is in the classifieds here.

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    Cayman? More like Lameman
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    Be nice, people
    Last edited by Tommm; 04-24-2018 at 10:31 AM.

I'm too old to learn how to drive an automatic.

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.3 & 14 allroad
    That is a beautiful car! Very well taken care of. Someone is going to get a wonderful new toy! You want to sell it because why? :-)

My Cars
    broads & booze!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by SounderMN View Post
    That is a beautiful car! Very well taken care of. Someone is going to get a wonderful new toy! You want to sell it because why? :-)
    Why? The truth is because my wife doesn't want to take a drive to Vail for lunch with the top down, and my daughter lost interest in the drives the Z Roadster club takes. A few weeks ago I told my wife I should sell it since I put 500 miles on it last season. I wont drive it to the office (50 mi) because the car will get sandblasted on the highway (pitted the windshield of my 128i and S80) It should be driven, not looked at. The replacement will see track time which the girls are not interested in, and the clubs wont let me do with the roadster, and maybe I can convince my wife to take a drive to Vail for lunch in a quiet coupe (not as much fun as a roadster, but...)
    Last edited by Tommm; 04-24-2018 at 12:15 PM.

I'm too old to learn how to drive an automatic.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12