Thread: Rear oil pickup support issue

My Cars
    are slow.

Rear oil pickup support issue

Very odd situation I am in...

I have an S50 that I pulled out of an E30 24v swap which has the oil pickup at the front of the engine. In doing the swap in the E30, the rear pickup support is cut down to fit the E34 oilpan.

The issue I'm facing is the pickup support is bolted on through the main cap bolts, and in order to replace the pickup support I have to remove the two bolts holding the main crank cap. Is this okay to do? If I remove just one of the caps won't this place stress on the crank? They bolts are TTY as well, so they need to be replaced?

Thanks.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
    -Dr. Seuss
    DIY BMW Tools. Charlie For President

My Cars
    Avus Cosmos Calypso!
    Yes, the crank will be ok. Replace the TTY bolts with new ones.

My Cars
    are slow.
    Quote Originally Posted by scooper View Post
    Yes, the crank will be ok. Replace the TTY bolts with new ones.

Roger that. Local BMW dealership had them in stock. Thank you.

Note to others who run across this thread years from now: S50 Main Cap Bolts are different than all of the other E36 motors (M50/M52/S52/M40/M42). The S50 bolts are M10x80mm while all of the other engines are M10x75mm

All BMW e36 motors use:

S50 is the exception, and uses the part number:

Which ironically enough is the same part number as the S54, so when ordering ARP bolts, use the S54 part number not the E36 part number.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
    -Dr. Seuss

My Cars
    e90 M3,X5,e46 racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Hova View Post
    Roger that. Local BMW dealership had them in stock. Thank you.

Note to others who run across this thread years from now: S50 Main Cap Bolts are different than all of the other E36 motors (M50/M52/S52/M40/M42). The S50 bolts are M10x80mm while all of the other engines are M10x75mm

All BMW e36 motors use:

S50 is the exception, and uses the part number:

Which ironically enough is the same part number as the S54, so when ordering ARP bolts, use the S54 part number not the E36 part number.
    Huh ... very curious since the block casting is the same for all the iron blocks ... I'm guessing the spec changed, but either will work fine in all the engines. Good info though!
    Check out the 8legs Racing page: https://www.facebook.com/8legsRacing/

My Cars
    are slow.
    Side note:

I really believe that the main cap bolts can be reused. I ended up using a digital torque wrench to pull the old ones out and was surprised to learn that the break away torque was 39 ft/lbs and 42ft/lbs. These are M10 10.9 bolts. There is no way it has yielded much if any at that torque. I was also surprised to learn that the bolts I pulled out where bone dry on the threads. There was zero oil on them. The bolt shaft itself had oil, but the threads that engaged where dry from BMW.

I am a firm believer in doing things correctly the first time, and I did replace the bolts, but I see no reason why the original ones could not have be reused. They are torqued to 20nm and then 50 degrees. That is NOT a huge load on the bolt, and If anyone has a way of measuring the load of a similar bolt with the same size and thread pitch I would love to see how it performs after multiple loading.

The only definitive bolts I can see being replaced are the head and the rod bolts.

That being said, I will continue to follow the advice of BMW and replace all TTY bolts.
    -Dr. Seuss

My Cars
    e90 M3,X5,e46 racer
    For what it's worth, I had to reuse a set on a race engine due to time constraints ... it has been fine. Would I do it again? Probably not if they were available in time.
    Check out the 8legs Racing page: https://www.facebook.com/8legsRacing/