RM European Auto Parts

Thread: Help needed urgently - swapped engine possibly at risk

My Cars
    2001 e46 323i

Exclamation Help needed urgently - swapped engine possibly at risk

Hello everyone,

I'll try to make the long story as short as possible lol. I own a 2001 manual e46 323i and I have recently started experiencing misfiring only when the engine is warm and only at very low revs (below 1500), with a slight burning smell coming up when I stopped in traffic.

After narrowing down with my mechanic the possible cause to a clogged catalytic converter (checked the spark plugs, ignition coils, hoses. They all seemed to be good. We did a test drive with a diagnosis tool plugged into the OBDII port and it DID come up with a DME fault code, but according to him it could be pointing at some other "undeclared" issue related to the misfiring) we had planned that I would come back next weekend to have it replaced or temporarily gutted because I did not want to buy a brand new one.

After leaving his shop I thought I would put some injectors cleaner in the car and drive about 10-15 miles at high revs just in case the injectors were clogged. A rough saturday after a rough week made me make not one but two mistakes lol :

- I confused the unknown brand the gas station sold me (some "euro sTop" sh*t) with STP
    - I only put about 3 gallons of gasoline with it instead of a full tank, thinking it would be more efficient.

After driving 15 miles on highway with no problem at all I entered the city and at the first stoplight the car made a noise that reminded me of a firework, then the car stalled. When I opened the hood the burning smell was much nastier than before and when I tried to start it back up after a while it barely started and made all kind of metal noises. Anyway after towing to the garage he told me that the engine had blown up and it is now being replaced (we concluded that the combination of several causes led to the failure of the engine: clogged CAT, bad injector cleaner with too little gas and what we would discover after pulling the engine up: it had already been opened, which I suspected because when I bought the car it had a brand new OEM radiator on, while on the other hand it had been generally poorly serviced...

Basically I now have 2 very worrying questions and one that is not lol:
    - Could the faulty DME (if it really is) have possibly caused the engine to literally break?
    - If the previous is possible (which I don't think it is), could the DME cause the new engine to break??
    - The new engine is a 2.8: I know that my DME can basically adapt and manage it, but do I absolutely need to have it flashed if I want the 2.8 to behave normally/like a 2.8? If I need to do it i will but for now I'm trying to avoid any additional expenses...

Thanks for reading and please shed a light on those questions lol

Edit: the mechanic told me that what seemed like a misifiring could in fact have been caused by a failing piston on its last breathe. I had also noticed like 2 weeks before the engine broke that after 10-15 miles of rather intense driving there was a little white smoke coming out of the exhaust...

Last edited by Breeze1; 04-09-2018 at 05:06 PM.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    The dme is probably not at fault. And the 323 dme will not "basically adapt". It will run the 328 engine poorly.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    2001 e46 323i
    Quote Originally Posted by 328 Power 04 View Post
    The dme is probably not at fault. And the 323 dme will not "basically adapt". It will run the 328 engine poorly.
    Thanks for your reply. I will have to flash it sooner or later yeah, but I was wondering how it would do in the meantime. By "poorly" do you mean that it wouldn't be better than a 323, or not significantly better, or will I still be able to notice a difference?

My Cars
    2001 e46 323i
    The M52TUB28 was taken from an auto 528I and my car is a manual 323i as stated above. Long story short I'll probably have to do the flash myself since the guy who could do it lives like 300 miles from where I live and I would rather save the money. Basically here is what I have at my disposal:
    - OBDII bluetooth adapter and torque pro (useless for that)
    - an OBDII interface cable
    - a laptop
    - my stock DME, which if I understand well is a MS42.

Guys I would GREATLY appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction as per how to do it myself, like step by step because I have never done it so far. I have found a lot of posts on the subject but they never fully meet my case or if they do they only talk about a part of the process, not all of it.

That would be VERY helpful for me, since it would be a huge disappointment for me to spend all that money and go through all that hassle and not even be able to enjoy a proper running M52TUB28
    Thanks.

IMPORTANT EDIT: I'm carrying over the M54B30 intake manifold and the CAI I had on the M52TUB25 , which I had not done a remap for yet, and since the CATS probably contributed to shooting my previous engine I'm thinking about keeping them gutted until I find some high flow CATS. So IDEALLY I would like to directly dump the right program for that while I'm at it.

On a side note, with this setup and the proper remap what am I looking at, like 220/230ps at the crank?
    Last edited by Breeze1; 04-09-2018 at 07:16 PM.

My Cars
    2001 e46 323i
    Here is a pic of the patient
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    2001 e46 323i
    Wow like no reply at all although I'm sure many could help

MauiM3Mania is offline Observer/Master Skeptic Moderator
    My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    Quote Originally Posted by Breeze1 View Post
    Wow like no reply at all although I'm sure many could help
    Wow, like the many here that help do so on their free time. Being demanding isn't going to get you far.
    04M3 TiAg 69k slick-top 3 pedal
    99M3 Cosmos 61k S50B32 euro 6Spd

88M3 AW 43k miles Project FS

WTB: 3.5" Eurosport/Conforti CAI

My Cars
    2001 e46 323i
    Quote Originally Posted by MauiM3Mania View Post
    Wow, like the many here that help do so on their free time. Being demanding isn't going to get you far.
    I was just expressing my disappointment/frustration given the circumstances and the fact that despite the huge amount of knowledge gathered by this community nobody replied except 328 Power 04 with his comment about the DME.
    I was just expecting that someone would take 1 minute or 2 to share a link with me or something, the same way you took 1 or 2 minutes from yours to "educate me"...

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    This pack I loaded here has WinKFP (flashing of modules) with preloaded MS42 flashes.
    Use realoem.com to determine the zb number you want. The eu2 flash versions delete catalyst and rear oxygen sensor delete, but also your check engine light always off. (Can be turned on again with custom tuning)

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...xperimentation

- - - Updated - - -

All you need is in the first post, read thoroughly.
    Last edited by 328 Power 04; 04-10-2018 at 01:46 PM.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

MauiM3Mania is offline Observer/Master Skeptic Moderator
    My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    I was just expressing my disappointment/frustration given the circumstances and the fact that despite the huge amount of knowledge gathered by this community nobody replied except 328 Power 04 with his comment about the DME.
    I was just expecting that someone would take 1 minute or 2 to share a link with me or something, the same way you took 1 or 2 minutes from yours to "educate me"...
    Check the time zones. These guys sleep too.
    04M3 TiAg 69k slick-top 3 pedal
    99M3 Cosmos 61k S50B32 euro 6Spd

88M3 AW 43k miles Project FS

WTB: 3.5" Eurosport/Conforti CAI

My Cars
    2001 e46 323i
    Thanks man, appreciate your help! I'll read through it!

Quote Originally Posted by 328 Power 04 View Post
    This pack I loaded here has WinKFP (flashing of modules) with preloaded MS42 flashes.
    Use realoem.com to determine the zb number you want. The eu2 flash versions delete catalyst and rear oxygen sensor delete, but also your check engine light always off. (Can be turned on again with custom tuning)

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...xperimentation

- - - Updated - - -

All you need is in the first post, read thoroughly.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Wow, what a hot mess this one is.
    Good luck, I'd start with a new mechanic.
    Last edited by ross1; 04-13-2018 at 08:10 AM.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    2001 e46 323i
    The mechanic is very knowledgable when it comes to the analog/mecanical parts, but as far as programming goes he can't do it.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    Wow, what a hot mess this one is.
    Good luck, I'd start with a new mechanic.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    The mechanic is very knowledgable when it comes to the analog/mecanical parts, but as far as programming goes he can't do it.
    Thanks!
    If you say so

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue